Q: Supplying enough Power for Mining

edge929

[H]ard|Gawd
Apparently I was wrong to assume that building one mining rig with 4 GPUs would not overload a 15 amp breaker. Apparently I was wrong. I've done basic electrical work in my home (built in 2009) but haven't messed with the breaker box. My entire basement is on one breaker but the only power draw is from:

1 modem
1 router
2 switches
1 Synology NAS
2 computer monitors (both on standby majority of the time)
Main computer with one 290 mining
Mining rig with 2x 290 and 2x 270

I just got a Kill-a-Watt over the weekend but haven't hooked it up yet. The 2 power supplies on the mining rig are 750W and 550W. Whenever my wife turns on the (!) hair dryer or god forbid, a mini heater, the breaker blows. I'm well aware that each of those use tons of power but my wife, god bless her ignorance, had no idea. A 15 amp breaker is good for 1800W but using the 80% guideline, let's call it 1440W. I'm probably flirting with that number with both rigs mining on one breaker but the weird thing is, I've run the mining rig on a separate breaker before and the basement breaker still tripped when a hair dryer was plugged in with only one 290 mining away. The main rig has one 750W power supply but it could not have been using more than 500W for a single 290 + rest of the system at idle. Does a hair dryer use 1000+ watts? (edit: holy crap, yes it can)

Q: Is it possible to swap out a 15 amp breaker for a 20 amp and be done with it? Or is it not that simple/depends on other factors? Any other advice?

A hair dryer can use 1000-1800 watts easily, depending on the model. Best to put the rig on a different breaker from the dryer.

You can't just swap the breaker in the box, the circuit would need to be rewired. Normal house wiring is 14 gauge for a 15a breaker, whereas to run a 20a breaker you need 12 gauge. The purpose of the breaker is to make sure the wires don't start on fire, so if you change the breaker size but not the wiring that would defeat the purpose and your house might burn down. Less than ideal.

Q: Is it possible to swap out a 15 amp breaker for a 20 amp and be done with it? Or is it not that simple/depends on other factors? Any other advice?

While it's certainly possible to just swap out the breaker, you also have to consider the wiring that was used in the wall. Is that wire rated for 20A? Doesn't sound like a big deal, but it might be.

A hair dryer can use 1000-1800 watts easily, depending on the model. Best to put the rig on a different breaker from the dryer.

You can't just swap the breaker in the box, the circuit would need to be rewired. Normal house wiring is 14 gauge for a 15a breaker, whereas to run a 20a breaker you need 12 gauge. The purpose of the breaker is to make sure the wires don't start on fire, so if you change the breaker size but not the wiring that would defeat the purpose and your house might burn down. Less than ideal.

This.

Yup.

It should also be noted that Kill-a-Watts are incredibly inaccurate...in H testing, margin of error is +/- 40%

Thanks for the info. The 20 amp/12-gauge wire rule seems to be the standard according to other sources. For now, I will take the easy approach and separate the breakers used and forbid my wife from running any heating units!

What's the point of a Kill-a-watt if they are off that much? I read they are supposed to be within 3% or lower.

h718A44FA

and on the kill a watt, it is the active PFC in PSUs that fucks with them

Also consider that NEC has rules for lines that are loaded 24/7. Have to derate the line to 80% of rated ampacity.

Back