Push vs Pull

safehaven

Limp Gawd
I just started my overclocking process of my new 4690K. I know it is a crap shoot as to how much you get out of any processor, but I scoured the net to ascertain a good place to start. 1.25v and 4.4ghz seemed somewhat reasonable. When I ran Prime95 with those setting, temps immediately hit the high 90's. Same voltage and 4.0 ghz hit the mid 90's.

I set my water cooler to push, but have since read and think maybe I should have set it up to pull. How big of a difference is there between push vs pull? Just curious if I should address that before proceeding any further.

Instead of even wondering about that.. you could just add a second fan (as long as space permits). However, those temps seem really high, it seems like maybe the pump isn't making good contact or the tim may have air bubbles in it.

My best results have come from pulling fresh outside air in across the radiator and settinng the rest of the case fans to exhaust. I'm sure there are many that would argue against this, but my processor stays cool and the dust stays low.

I have my H100i mounted in the top of my 330R with the fans pushing out the top as exhaust. I've never tried turning them around (to pull in from the top) because my CPU idle temps are usually within 4° of ambient and even under load my CPU temps are very manageable.

H90 corsair with a pull exhaust setup out the top of my case. Would have preferred push exhaust but space limitations prevented it. Any of the intake setups I tried were not as effective with my case setup.

Just have to try a few setups and see what works best for you. Everyone's case, ambient temps, and placement in the room can make a sizeable difference.

Whatever you do just do something that is less than 90c load....yikes....unless you are using an alienware gaming laptop in the middle of the sahara.... Then thats probably a pretty good temp! :D

What were the temps at stock speed? I had a PC built recently and the Corsair H60 was not making firm contact with the cpu. I ended up using the "washer method" to solve the problem. Apparently this is a problem with the Corsair mounting system and thin motherboards. 1/8" neoprene washers behind the motherboard fixed it.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041057421&postcount=37

What were the temps at stock speed? I had a PC built recently and the Corsair H60 was not making firm contact with the cpu. I ended up using the "washer method" to solve the problem. Apparently this is a problem with the Corsair mounting system and thin motherboards. 1/8" neoprene washers behind the motherboard fixed it.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041057421&postcount=37

This. Some thinner motherboards can have issues with any standard mounting solutions.

Back