Pulling my hair out over detection problems...help!

Asazman

Supreme [H]ardness
I've got two brand new Maxtor 8MB Cache 200GB hard drives and a Promise TX2000 RAID card set as stripping. Put card in, each hdd has separate channel, boot utility detects both hard drives, so I set it as a stripped set at 2 + 0. So I boot, install Promiise card, and windows can't seem to detect my hard drives! Partition Magic doesn't even detect them, what is wrong?

Looks like my card is installed in the device manager, what oh what should I do?!

these are serial ata drives arent they? your motherboard supports onboard raid, just try it with that, it may help you narrow down the problem to see if its the fault of the controller. try switching the PCI bus, there may be some IRQ conflicts.

Originally posted by jamestime88
these are serial ata drives arent they? your motherboard supports onboard raid, just try it with that, it may help you narrow down the problem to see if its the fault of the controller. try switching the PCI bus, there may be some IRQ conflicts.

No, IDE, not SATA. My main hard drive is SATA, these are not.

Never thought of IRQ conflicts...I shall change slots right away. Thanks buddy!

Originally posted by the yellow dart
why don't you try formatting them? a windows xp install disk does this nicely.

I think that if partition magic cannot see the hard drives, neither can Microsoft. I'll try the IRQ troubleshooting first though, thanks!

Try looking through Disk Management (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management) and see if you can activate it through there. I've done it before, but I don't exactly recall the process. You'll just have to toy around in there unless Mr. Ice Czar can cook up some information. :D

Let us know how it goes...

as Poop mentioned

try Start > Run > (type) Diskmgmt.msc > Action Button > Rescan Disks (if it shows up) RClick > Partition & Format

if not post back ;)

your using a PCI raid card right (tx2000) drivers?

Are the disks "activated"? comp management->local disks->rt click->activate *should be 1 disk, not 2)

Originally posted by Ice Czar
as Poop mentioned

try Start > Run > (type) Diskmgmt.msc > Action Button > Rescan Disks (if it shows up) RClick > Partition & Format

if not post back ;)

Yeah I already tried this, EXCELLENT guess though, must give you credit :)

I'm going to boot off a WinXP CD next, see if that works....but really, what the fuck? I even tried rebuilding the array...

Originally posted by Asazman
Yeah I already tried this, EXCELLENT guess though, must give you credit :)

I'm going to boot off a WinXP CD next, see if that works....but really, what the fuck? I even tried rebuilding the array...

Please...need....help.....:confused:

Im wondering if its an issue with the size (400GB)
try making a mirrored array and see if that works
(temporarily) or see if a single drive can be employed

check if there is a BIOS upgrade or issue posted at Promise
(check similar products as well, they are rather late devoloping FAQs for new releases)

Yeah as Ice Czar said, check the promise site and get the latest everything for the card.

I already updated the BIOS and the latest drivers are installed. I will try the mirrored thing when I get home. Thanks again...

Question: Could Promse offer tech support to me?

Back