PSUs not built the way they used to be? unreliable? wtf....

Harkamus

Supreme [H]ardness
Is it just me or have PSU manufacturers gone downhill lately? I've been browsing reviews of various 700 - 800 watt PSUs and there are so many that people say have failed or arrived DOA. It's frustrating because I don't know what to buy since so many have bad reviews. I guess I'll have to stick with my ghetto rigged system...2 powersupplies, one just for my 4870.

Hey it works.

No, just more people are complaining. Generally, more people will post reviews when they're having trouble than those who are using the PSU with zero issues. However those that do post positive or negative reviews of a PSU are generally noobs, idiots, and ignoramus who have no idea how to judge the quality of a PSU.

So in other words, don't put too much stock with Newegg reviews for PSUs.

If you really want to know whether or not the PSU you're about to choose is good, make sure ask about it here on the forums. I can't tell you the number of times some person goes off to buy a PSU based on Newegg reviews and crappy so called "professional" PSU reviews only for them to find out that the PSU is of low quality and has been shown under proper testing to be failures or mediocre.

Well, in that case, I need to find a 750 - 800 watter. Modular or not...doesn't matter.

$110 - Corsair 750TX 750W PSU
$140 - Seasonic M12D SS-850 850W Modular PSU

Sounds good. I think I saw the Corsair for 45 bucks shipped once...but they have some wacky 2 week mail in rebate, so I didn't get it because the 2 weeks was almost up.

Are you sure you need 700-800 watts? You said you're running a 4870, which doesn't require near that much power, but what else have you got in your system?

And in my opinion, PSU's are being built more solidily than ever before.. as long as you don't go with crap brands like Apevia, PowMax, etc.

Are you sure you need 700-800 watts? You said you're running a 4870, which doesn't require near that much power, but what else have you got in your system?

And in my opinion, PSU's are being built more solidily than ever before.. as long as you don't go with crap brands like Apevia, PowMax, etc.

My 500 watt PCPnC isn't enough to run my 4870 (1 gig), 4 gigs of DDR 2, e8400, and 250 gig HD. I get random crashes with the PSU. This is why I had to ghetto rig two PSUs to my computer, only to have it run stable without random crashes.

Also, the PCPnC is not faulty. I've tested it on several computers just fine. So yea, I would like at least a 750. It may be a tad over kill, but then again I don't buy PSUs like they're going out of style. I'd like one that will last me the next time I upgrade.

My 500 watt PCPnC isn't enough to run my 4870 (1 gig), 4 gigs of DDR 2, e8400, and 250 gig HD. I get random crashes with the PSU. This is why I had to ghetto rig two PSUs to my computer, only to have it run stable without random crashes.

Also, the PCPnC is not faulty. I've tested it on several computers just fine. So yea, I would like at least a 750. It may be a tad over kill, but then again I don't buy PSUs like they're going out of style. I'd like one that will last me the next time I upgrade.
I'm running a 4870 512MB, Q6600 overclocked to 3GHz, 4GB of DDR2, and two HDs off a 500W Seasonic-built Antec. Your PCP&C unit has 35A on the +12V rail, which is most certainly enough for the components you are using. Your PSU may work, but it also seems to be incapable of providing the amount of power that it should be able to, which does indeed make it faulty.

My last system had a Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, 4x1GB DDR2-800, two hard drives, and a 9600GT overclocked. If a Corsair VX450 was more than enough to run it, then 500watts is enough to run yours. There's something definitely wrong with your PSU.

Well if it's indeed faulty, it's out of warranty, so that doesn't solve much of anything.

It could also be that my house electrical sux. It's an old ass house. Hell, my UPS beeps as if I had a miniature power outtage every time my heater or AC turns on.

Still...I need a new PSU.

Well if it's indeed faulty, it's out of warranty, so that doesn't solve much of anything.

It could also be that my house electrical sux. It's an old ass house. Hell, my UPS beeps as if I had a miniature power outtage every time my heater or AC turns on.

Still...I need a new PSU.

My recommendation goes to a Corsair 550VX. It's not too expensive, and is slightly more powerful than the one you have now, but would actually use less power from the wall since it's more efficient. And it's from a company that is proving to have very reliable PSU's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004&Tpk=550VX

I have almost the same exact set up as you do & I have a Seasonic-built Antec Neo 550 watt PSU. I have more then enough power & all it has is a nice small & very quiet 80mm fan in the rear of the PSU. So....You DO NOT need a 750 watt PSU to run your set up!

Back