psu switch turns system on?

soldano

n00b
when i flip the psu switch from off to on, the fans, lights and hdd light on the case come on, but the system doesn't boot and the power light on the case stays off. nothing else happens until i hit the power button on the front of the case, and when i do, the computer boots up normally. other than that, everything seems to be working fine.

i have re-checked all connections and everything appears to be in proper order. another thing that i noticed is that this doesn't happen when all external items are disconnected from the back (mouse, kb, speakers, vga, etc); i can move the psu switch from off to on and nothing happens. however as soon as i plug any single item in, flipping the psu switch to the on position once again elicits the behavior that i described above. also, the "after ac power loss" setting in the bios is set to "off" and not "last state."

any ideas?

A64 3400+ | TT Silent Boost K8
MSI K8N Neo Platinum nForce 3 250gb | Vantec Iceberq CCB-A1C
2x512 PC3500 Mushkin Black Level II
PNY 6800 GT
120GB Seagate 7200.7 | SATA-1 (OS)
120GB WDSE | Primary IDE Master (Storage)
Plextor CDRW | Secondary IDE Master
SB Live
470W OCZ PowerStream | +12V=33A; +5V=34A; +3.3V=28A
Antec Sonata

this is normal. most atx power supplies do this. don't worry.

Hi, I have noticed in general that some motherboards tend to do this. If you have any concerns please PM me and we will do what needs to be done to set you straight. If we have your motherboard at OCZ we can test a PSU on it to see if we have the same results. Just let me know.

unhappy_mage said:
this is normal. most atx power supplies do this. don't worry.
No, this is not a normal behavior for an ATX power supply; There should be *no* +12v output until the PS_ON signal is held low by the motherboard. The only output before that event occurs should be on the +5vsb, providing small ammounts of electricity to the motherboard so it can start-up using soft-power, WOL, etc.
Once again, same with the issues with not working on the A7N8X board, more and more every day we find out more about the OCZ Powerstream line having issues that are rarely, if ever, dealt with by owners of other supplies. Both of these issues show non-compliance with the ATX standards. My advise: Return it and get another supply, one that doesn't have issues like these. So you could get even a $15 power supply and not have to deal with this; However, I would recommend against that, and go with a quality supply from Enermax, Antec, or Fortron.

andyOCZ, any plans to release any real specs documentation on those PSUs i.e. AVR, OV/UV, OC, ripple...

Maybe a white paper.

Also who is the ODM?

Vertigo Acid said:
same with the issues with not working on the A7N8X board, more and more every day we find out more about the OCZ Powerstream line having issues that are rarely, if ever, dealt with by owners of other supplies. Both of these issues show non-compliance with the ATX standards.

in the A7N8X board issue, supposedly the board doesnt meet the new BTX standard
and thus requires the PSU has more load on it, so attaching a HDD and Optical is a simple workaround

andyOCZ, what is this issue attributed to?

We will be glad to do a fast track coss ship direct from OCZ of any power supply having issues. I do know that the PSU is a BTX standard unit that is backward compatible. Contact support, PM me or vist the OCZ forums for RMA details.

The added load is required on some boards. I was told this has to do with the protection circuits sensing a no load sutuation and not allowing power-up. Attaching the usual neccesary system components resolves this.

andyOCZ said:
We will be glad to do a fast track coss ship direct from OCZ of any power supply having issues. I do know that the PSU is a BTX standard unit that is backward compatible. Contact support, PM me or vist the OCZ forums for RMA details.

The added load is required on some boards. I was told this has to do with the protection circuits sensing a no load sutuation and not allowing power-up. Attaching the usual neccesary system components resolves this.
However, this does not address why the power supply is outputting +12v before PS_ON is being held at ground by the motherboard

Back