psu problem?: what should I do?

pavel

Gawd
I looked at someone's system/computer today and the psu fan is not working at all. That is, it's not running. Is it toast?

I used an air can for the rest of the computer but it wasn't too dusty.

They need a new psu, right? It's old... forget the wattage but it's a crap brand I'm sure.

I am planning on buiding an itx system and I want to buy a SFX PSU eventually. Would that fit my current case, an Antec 300 mid tower or no? I have a Corsair PSU HX520W that would work for them in the mean time but then I'd need a psu.

They have an older AMD 740G system or something like that. I prefer modular power supplies so the cable management is not that bad.

My Corsair's warranty is up, probably, as it is probably 5 yrs old but it's been working fine so far.

I noticed power supplies are around $70 and up and those are only 80 Plus Bronze Cert. starting at around $70.

I'm not sure if I am selling my current components which is why I thought of donating my PSU. I don't think would fetch much $$ on a sale.

Any ideas or should they just buy a new one?

A SFX power supply will not fit your tower. You can give them yours, but then you need one.

Best bet is to just have them buy a new one, and hope it didn't take out other components. If it was a crap power supply, it certainly might have.

I recently got a hx 750 for 80$... but you have a time constraint so.... Start looking around... IF you want to upgrade your system anytime soon I would get a new PSU for yourself, if not have them buy one.

Back