PSU Help :: Complete Details Inside

reid18

Weaksauce
Hello everyone. A friend In Texas who built me a PC last summer is building me another one in the next coming weeks. I have already ordered all of the parts, I will list them below later on. With my current PC, I have the Corsair 620HX and it has done me no harm, except for one thing, one possible thing that is. I record uncompressed 720p footage using an Intensity Pro. The Intensity is recommended in being in a PCIe 1, 4 or 16 slot. Being the cheap person I used to be, I chose to get a motherboard with 1 PCIe x16 and 1 PCIE x1. The problem I am having is while recording from the Intensity, the capture screen, after awhile, will randomly go black and my PC will restart.

What I am trying to figure out is what to attribute this problem to. I have no idea if it is my PSU, the x1 slot or what.

Well anyways, below are the exact parts I ordered for my up and coming PC. Please respond voicing your opinion on whether or no the 620HX can handle it.

Please post with specific information on why or why not you think the 620hx can handle this, and if not, what PSU I should invest in. Also, if you have any guess as to why my PC restarts while recording (the PSU, the CPU Temp or the x1 slot), please post that as well.

Thanks.

Hello everyone. A friend In Texas who built me a PC last summer is building me another one in the next coming weeks. I have already ordered all of the parts, I will list them below later on. With my current PC, I have the Corsair 620HX and it has done me no harm, except for one thing, one possible thing that is. I record uncompressed 720p footage using an Intensity Pro. The Intensity is recommended in being in a PCIe 1, 4 or 16 slot. Being the cheap person I used to be, I chose to get a motherboard with 1 PCIe x16 and 1 PCIE x1. The problem I am having is while recording from the Intensity, the capture screen, after awhile, will randomly go black and my PC will restart.

What I am trying to figure out is what to attribute this problem to. I have no idea if it is my PSU, the x1 slot or what.

Well anyways, below are the exact parts I ordered for my up and coming PC. Please respond voicing your opinion on whether or no the 620HX can handle it.

Please post with specific information on why or why not you think the 620hx can handle this, and if not, what PSU I should invest in.

Thanks.

You have a Quad-Core Q6600, 4GB of RAM, 4 Hard Drives, and a single 8800GT.

You are nowhere near the max power of the HX620, to be honest. Your Q6600 is ~100W, add the overclocking even worst case scenario, maybe 70W more. The 8800GT is another 110W or so, and the hard drives are, say, 60W combined. That's 340W, add another 100W for the baseline motherboard, optical drives, fans, whatever else, and in a nightmare scenario your system might require 450W, but more than likely it'll be drawing 350-400W (probably 80% of that on the +12V rail) during typical load situations.

So I don't think that sounds like a PSU issue, to be honest.

Just a couple of things:

3 of the HDDs will be in Raid0

I plan on stepping up to a 9800

I have 8 gigs of ram

These probably make slight differences, however, I would like you to know.

Ditto on what Redbeard said.... I have way more hooked up to my 620W Corsair and it handles everything at max load with tons of power to spare.... I would be taking a hard look at my motherboard if I were you.

I concur with Redbeard. You may want to see if its RAM or mobo issue.

Download Memtest+ V.170, unzip it, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP install CD. Let Memtest+ run for at least three hours on each stick of RAM separately. If you start seeing errors, than your RAM is bad.

I would use UltimateBootCD instead of memtest. Has a lot of other useful utils on it. Also, what OS are you using? A lot of drivers for XP-64 are not that great - it could be the driver for your intensity pro is crashing.

Back