PSU going out?

bandit390

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Antec 550tc. On boot up, it shows in my bios for the 12v rail being around 11.5. It shows this if im at stock speeds or overclocked. I don't know to much about this, but shouldn't it be 12+?

What could I try to fix the issue?

bandit390 said:
I have a Antec 550tc. On boot up, it shows in my bios for the 12v rail being around 11.5. It shows this if im at stock speeds or overclocked. I don't know to much about this, but shouldn't it be 12+?

Check your voltages with a DMM. BIOS and software readings are not accurate.

My 12V rail hovers around 11.5V with no problems at all. It's been running stable like this for over a year now.

Matrox462 said:
My 12V rail hovers around 11.5V with no problems at all. It's been running stable like this for over a year now.
...and the reading is from where?

gwai lo said:
...and the reading is from where?

The reading is from the motherboard's software, and with a DMM.

Software reads around 11.4V, and DMM reads around 11.5V.

k, just wanted to attempt to prove a point and you seemed to have read my mind. ;)

ATX standards allow for 5% fluctuations. .05×12 = .6 and 12-.6 = 11.4

gwai lo said:
k, just wanted to attempt to prove a point and you seemed to have read my mind. ;)

ATX standards allow for 5% fluctuations. .05×12 = .6 and 12-.6 = 11.4

Yep :) as long as the voltage doesn't go below 11.4V, there shouldn't be problems. That's what I was checking for with the DMM.

bandit390 said:

How long have you had it?

I just upgraded my PSU, mobo, cpu, vid card, the whole nine yards like 3 weeks ago. Everything seemed fine till about a couple days ago. I kept getting blue screen crashes whenever I would play a game for about an hour. It would just blue screen real quick and then automatically reboot.

At first I thought maybe the PSU was overheating or it was just fudged, or maybe even my memory was getting whacked out.

But today I finally had some time, got into my system, and what do ya know....

I forgot to plug in the 4-pin ATX 12v CPU plug from PSU into the motherboard. This has fixed the problem, and I just cant believe I missed it and the system ran fine for a couple weeks without a hint. Unbelievable.

Anyway, before I fixed the problem, I was getting 11.4-11.9 +12V rail readings from hardware monitor. After I plugged in the 4 pin power, it has jumped to a much better 12.4 reading.

Back