PSU for a64

MAB

Weaksauce
What power supply is everyone using for their a64 setups?

would the antec trueblue480 power this:

a64 3400
soltek nforce 250gb mobo
2x512 corsair xms pc3200
pny 6800GT
Raptor 74gb
maxtor 160gb
lite on cd/rw dvd combo drive
lite on dvd burner
sony floppy disk drive
coolermaster cooldrive 4

or should i go with the Antec tru550?

MAB said:
would the antec trueblue480 power this:
Yes it would but take note that changes are happening in the psu world and the True line may not be as future-proof as once thought. I'll let Ice Czar and Vertigo explain the complexities why. (connector and dual +12v related).

Since you're willing to spend >$75 a great choice would be the Fortron FSP 550w which has Dual +12v rails @ 18a each. Besides having hefty standby power dual +12v volts serves to stabilize voltage to those power hungry components eg: Cpu and modern video cards.

if i had to get a psu in the near future the FSP 550 would be the on i'd buy.

Speaking of Ice Czar, anyone seen a single post from him around here lately? :confused:

Anyway, one of the biggest problems in recient PSU history is that we've made a move from powering most of the important components (CPU, GPU, mobo) off of the +12v rail instead of the +5v rails. This has caused some problems, because for example the Truepower line hasn't changed in a few years, so it has a relativly low +12v rating. Coupled with that is the move to the latest PSU standards, ATX 2.0 and such, that suggest that you split the +12v rail into two separate outputs, one for the CPU/mobo and one for all the molex conenctors. This serves two purposes. 1. it's because there are rules about > 240w of power being available during a short in a user-servicable area. So basically if you short shit on a older supply that isn't up to standard, you've got more chance of arc welding because of all the power. But the more important to us reason is that is provides more stability. Taking the fans and drives out of the equation for the CPU is a boon for stability. Then, we again have another factor: 24-pin vs 20-pin. The latest standards call for a 24-pin ATX connector, which is pin-compatible with the 20-pin we're all used to. Servers have been using it as EPS12v for a long time, but now on the desktop we're hitting power levels that dictate more power to the motherboard. So, for a more future-proof solution you need to look for a supply that has split-rail +12v and a 24-pin ATX connector. Oh, and a 6-pin PCI-E connector is also helpful. And now you see why SJetski71 didn't want to explain himself ;)

Alright, lets say you have an A64 3200+ and 6800 ultra, both overclocked, 12V water pump (danger den D4), 74G raptor, two optical drives, and four 120mm fans. Is the Fortron 550 going to be enough for stability, or should I consider getting a separate PSU for the water pump and fans?

Also, can I link two PSU's so they turn on at the same time by bridging their grounds and the green wire on the mobo connectors? or should I use a relay?

To know if it would work, i'd say do the math first. But I can tell you people run much more demanding systems than that at 2cpu.com on those PSUs.

Back