PSU capacitor solder question!

os008

n00b
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this board, had a bit of a problem with my PSU whining, so I searched the net and found out that the reason might very well be a failing capacitor.

I opened up the PSU, checked to find out that there're 3 capacitors that popped open, so I went to a store, and got another 3, same charge, as this is my first solder job, I got 'a' solder iron, and removed the old ones, attached the new ones, and soldered them in place, turned it on, voila, working with no whine, and what seems to be better stability!

The problem is as follows, I watched the tutorials on this web-site ... http://tangentsoft.net/elec/movies/ ... he said that the capacitors I just installed have 'certain' polarity to take into account, he also mentioned that I would have been dead if I installed them wrong (lol), so, as I’m writing this post ... you know, do I have to re-open it and check on the polarity?

Another problem is that I used the iron too much on the capacitors' leads while soldering, so did I damage them, also, the 'square' and 'circle' polarity markers on the board that the tutorial guy talked about aren't visible, or might not be if I desoldered the area, because, as I mentioned, I used too much heat and seems the paint on the board was melted a bit.

I know what I did was wrong, because I should first read about it, and then do it, but I was in a rush, and didn’t really think about it that much, saw it a bit trivial at the time.

To sum up my questions:

1- Even if the capacitor is low voltage, and seems to work right, can it have been installed with wrong polarity?

2- How do I know the polarity is right? Although the board has been damage a bit by heat but still working perfectly.

3- Did the excess heat on the leads damage the capacitors I was installing, how do I make sure they're working?

Thank you in advance for your replies :).

@Mister X:
Thanks for replying, i don't have a Digital Camera though!

@Antimatter:
Thanks for the explanation, how can i determine the ground side ON the board while the PSU is off, or should i just remove the capacitor then turn the PSU on, and measure each side for its voltage with the case as a ground for the multi-meter?

If you had installed them backwards, and they were the main rectifying capacitors, then they would've exploded spectacularly already anyway. If you're going to measure it, do it with the PSU on, but be very careful.

So basically, i got lucky 3 times in a row, lol, but to tell you the truth, i don't think it was luck, could it be that they're 10v capacitors, their capacities are 2200 and 4400 i think.

But anyway, i'll open it up soon again after i buy a new Soldering Iron, and redo it with new capacitors, lest the ones installed are damaged, in the right direction this time.

...how can i determine the ground side ON the board while the PSU is off, or should i just remove the capacitor then turn the PSU on, and measure each side for its voltage with the case as a ground for the multi-meter?
With the PSU off & unplugged you can check the if the tracks you've soldered the negative cap leads to are grounds with the multimeter on 'resistance' and a known ground (any black molex wire) for the other test point. Meter should read zero.

With the PSU off & unplugged you can check the if the tracks you've soldered the negative cap leads to are grounds with the multimeter on 'resistance' and a known ground (any black molex wire) for the other test point. Meter should read zero.

that will only work if the caps are on the positive rails with respect to ground. Really, if you connected them wrong they would most likely have exploded by now and if not, when you open up your PSU again you'll find them to be very unhappy looking (bulging). One thing about replacing polarized electrolytic caps: always replace with the exact same uF value and equal or greater voltage rating. Good Luck!

Back