PSN Hacking Fallout

What has the PSN debacle prompted you to do?

• Change passwords from email accounts.

Votes: 39 18.3%
  • Cancel credit card(s).

Votes: 33 15.5%
  • Set up a credit check as a security measure.

Votes: 14 6.6%
  • Nothing yet (but plan on doing something soon).

Votes: 16 7.5%
  • Nothing at all (ps3 owner)

Votes: 57 26.8%
  • Nothing at all. (non-ps3 owner)

Votes: 90 42.3%

• Total voters

Tzzird

Supreme [H]ardness
Since this whole debacle came to light two weeks ago, a lot of ps3 owners have been scurrying to either change passwords on their accounts, cancel their credit cards, and/or establish a credit check security measure. I'm wondering how many of you have been affected by this.

I immediately cancelled my CC and put a 90 day watch on myself for grins: http://www.equifax.com/answers/set-fraud-alerts/en_cp

It's all free, easy, peace of mind. Why bother waiting to see if something's going to happen?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1604648

^^ I really think anyone that ever used a CC even one time on PSN is in potential jeopardy and should act now.

I like the PS3 itself a lot. I have it and am going to keep it for Rockstar games and other odds and ends like that since I can't get them on the PC. I also use it as my primary BD movie player.

For PSN, when it comes back, I will use prepaid cards or some other means if there's something I really want but I will never put my CC down with Sony ever again.

Poll up. (allows multiple checks)

I added $50 one time 2.5 years ago to PSN under a Mastercard (just checked the email confirmation now). Luckily, I cancelled that card shortly after because of a mileage issue I was pissed off about with American Airline.

Even then, I had personal information on there that I did not appreciate losing.

since I never bought anything from PSN, i just changed all of my passwords. unfortunately I cannot change the PS3 one cause i can't login to change it :(

I did change my email password as well. I meant to add that to the poll as my third choice in addition to the credit watch and cancelling CC.

#9 feel bad for PSN and console owners in general, but also bitter and hateful towards them. Then giggle a little.

Changed a couple of email passwords.
No biggie.
Such are the hazards of the modern digital marketplace.
People who use payment implements online should be doing things like transaction and credit monitoring anyways.

I changed my passwords and canceled my CC

I was also never put my CC info into PSN again. If I want something bad enough, I'll just buy a PSN card (or get it on xbox)

No major changes for me. I will change my PSN password when Sony forces me too. Other than that, I will keep my CC stored on PSN and use it to buy stuff. If there is any actual evidence that CC information was stolen, we will all automatically get new cards anyway.

I've had my CC info jacked from other sources and it was painless to resolve. People should always be checking their card for unwanted charges since this shit happens all the time anyway on smaller scales. If my SS# was stored on PSN I would be worried.

I'm not particularly concerned by it. I've only ever used PSN cards to buy stuff, and most of my account info is fake anyway :p.

The worst that can happen to me is that some spammers get a hold of my email addresses. The spam filters will have to work overtime, that's all :)

I used my credit card for everything I purchased from Sony PSN. I contacted my credit card company to let them know and they are issuing me a new card.

Too many rumors and too much delay on Sony's part. I'd rather not deal with fallout if I can prevent it.

PC gamer. I'd act superior and arrogant but I ragefucked my gaming PC yesterday with my first ever virus, and it did a pretty good number on it. *rolleyes at self*

I didn't have an active CC on my PSN account (thankfully) and the password for it is different than all my other passwords. I didn't attach any personal information to the account outside of what they want you to put in so at most they'll be able to sign me up for junk mail. Either way I'm keeping a close eye on all of my finances to make sure nothing is funky.

#9 feel bad for PSN and console owners in general, but also bitter and hateful towards them. Then giggle a little.

This. Never having bought a console since Xbox1, I didn't have to do anything whatsoever. Just another reason why PC gaming wins. :D

PC gamer. I'd act superior and arrogant but I ragefucked my gaming PC yesterday with my first ever virus, and it did a pretty good number on it. *rolleyes at self*

Dude, you gotta stop looking at pr0n with your gaming PC. :p That's what old laptops are for. :eek:

Changed some passwords (for the stuff that shared the same pw as my PSN account, by and large these are all unimportant things).

My email, any banking or financing stuff, or bills all have a different password (nothing even close to being similar to the other pw).

Cancelled my CC but can't change the password to PSN until it comes back online. I also sent Sony an email reaming them out for poor security and causing me a hassle and told them they have lost me as a PSN customer.

No major changes for me. I will change my PSN password when Sony forces me too. Other than that, I will keep my CC stored on PSN and use it to buy stuff. If there is any actual evidence that CC information was stolen, we will all automatically get new cards anyway.

I've had my CC info jacked from other sources and it was painless to resolve. People should always be checking their card for unwanted charges since this shit happens all the time anyway on smaller scales. If my SS# was stored on PSN I would be worried.

Depends on the CC company but it can take quite a while to sort fraudulent use of the CC and until it is resolved you still have to pay the charges. Friend of mine had his card fraudulently used and he got the charges reversed eventually but he was never reimbursed for the interest charges he paid on the fraudulent use. Go look up stories about people having their bank account cleaned out, many of them have to go with no money until it is investigated by the bank and sorted. It can take weeks to resolve.

I'm not doing anything other than making sure my credit card statement is normal. All of this talk about unencrypted credit card numbers and hackers selling the cc numbers is complete bs.

I'm not doing anything other than making sure my credit card statement is normal. All of this talk about unencrypted credit card numbers and hackers selling the cc numbers is complete bs.

I'm with this guy. I've been checking it, and I've seen no 600 dollar charges.
(600 being the number most people who were 'hacked' like throwing around.)

Someone tried to get into my email from overseas. Luckily Yahoo caught it and I just changed my password.

I'm debating on changing my email passwords. But when they restore the PSN I will change my PSN password as well, and any other info I deem necessary.

I sold my PS3 about 2 weeks before this shit went down and changed all my info on my PSN account to bogus crap. Unfortunately for me, if the hacker(/s) gained access to user billing history, then they still have a good amount of my information.. I already put a credit alert in my name, which sucks because I'm applying for students loans right now too.

Canceled my card and got a new one issued, setup the 90 day fraud alert. All my passwords are compartmentalized so no loss there.

I had an old credit card, that thankfully ended up being cancelled, used at the PSN. Did do a credit report only to find that I'm in better shape than I could have thought. :D Passwords of mine have been getting changed at regular intervals, so I think I'm good on that front, but what the hell... I'll change my passwords one more time.

These Ars Technica users are suspecting the Sony breach as the source of their CC fraudulent use.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...crypted-and-is-physically-moving-hardware.ars

The number of Ars Technica readers who have had issues with their credit cards in the past few days, and have commented, e-mailed, or Tweeted about the issue, is alarming. We may be dealing with a coincidence in timing, but when your inbox is heavy with people saying they're fighting fraudulent credit card charges, it may be the first signs of fire somewhere in the smoke.

I think my hotmail was just jacked. I just found a bunch of emails that were postmaster returned, apparantly going to my contacts list.

I just changed my password, we'll see if that was it. Don't know how the PSN debacle had my hotmail info though? Either that or I have spyware.

Never bought anything on PSN, but I changed some of my passwords because I wasn't sure if they were the same as my PSN pwd. (I don't even know what my PSN password is, its been so long since I have used it)

Yea, I've seen a few others say they changed their passwords. PSN is still down and until it is back online you can't change your password so how are they changing it?

Back