PS4, what are you hoping for?

metallicaband

Limp Gawd
Since there's a chance that Microsoft could do a surprise announcement of their new console @ E3 this year and to be honest I won't be surprised if it'll be released in mid-late 2012, I'm glad that there's at least some confirmation from Sony about PS4 being in development (link, AFAIK this was the first time they mentioned anything officially about the PS4.

As for the 10 year lifespan talk, I guess what they mean is that they're going to be supporting the PS3 until 2016 at least, doesn't mean it'll be their primary console until then, it'll be just like the PS2 which has been out there for more than 10 years and it's still being supported by Sony.

I don't see how some people can see PS3 surviving as a main console till 2016, it's GPU is already ancient to what's out there for the PCs these days, let alone in the coming 5 years lol!

Anyway, what I'm hoping for the PS4 is:

1- I hope Sony won't make the same mistake again and plan to release the PS4 within the same time frame of Microsoft's new console this time around, earlier would be better, but if that's not possible IMO it should be at most a few months later. The head start 360 got in this generation was huge and Sony struggled a lot to catch-up with them. PS2 dominated the market in the previous gen and it was released first, despite the fact that Xbox was much superior hardware wise.

2- Easy architecture to develop for PLEASE, yes we know once the developers work hard enough they can utilize the Playstation's power, but the reality is that most developers are lazy and want to reduce costs as much as possible, having this alone will prevent the PS3 from having inferior multiplatform game ports and more developers will be interested to create games for it.

3- Not another $600 price tag please, if backwards compatibility will increase costs then for God's sake do not include it at first then remove it later to reduce costs! $400 to $450 sounds fair, blu-ray will be much cheaper to produce this time around so I don't think the price is too low.

I don't mind paying $600 for a high end console at all BTW (I'd pay as much just for a single PC GPU lol), but overall less sales because of high price= worse games = my loss at the end.

Share your thoughts about what you're hoping for Sony's PS4.

Last edited:
I don't see how some people can see PS3 surviving as a main console till 2016, it's GPU is already ancient to what's out there for the PCs these days, let alone in the coming 5 years lol!

You are aware this doesn't matter? Till the average low power laptop GPU can slaughter the PS3 GPU, even though they have direct hardware access to the PS3 GPU, it's a non argument.

They've still got time.

backwards compatibility with ps3 games and software emulation of ps2 and ps1 games unless they simply put the entire library of games on psn.
continued support of the blu ray disc format that they started
updated graphics unit perhaps a programmable processor so they can update it with firmware updates programmable cell like processor also upgradeable with new instructions and improvements.
though since the r&d on it are getting cut really i am just expecting a upgraded hardware wise ps3 perhaps with a new controller or with move 2 in the box.
The gpu will likely be some modified unit from nvidia or amd and the cell processor with a clock speed increase and other updates like smaller litho and perhaps a stacking technology so it is 2 cell chips in 1 for 18 spi with 2 turned off for quality control and 2 for system use and 14 for game rendering... double the ram of a faster and newer type

They need to have a standard requiring all games to render at 1080p with 8xAF. If the output TV selected is 720p, then force 4x MSAA on it. No exception

MS had a mandate that all games render at 720p with 2xMSAA but it was possible to get out of it with enough democracy (see PGR3, launch game and rendered at 600p). Then two years ago, they totally killed the requirement so you can now make games any resolution you want.

4GB of system memory. *Crosses fingers*

The PS3 was released a year after the Xbox. Not days or months apart.
Why has everyone heard of the 10 year life cycle but seems to twist this around to mean that the PS4 will come 10 years later? This does not and has never meant that. This was exactly the same thing they said about the PS2 ten years ago and this has been explained a million times. I don't see how there are people on earth that could have heard about the 10 year life span but have NOT seen it explained like 10 million times already. Every time it is brought up, someone gives the explanation.

My ultimate wish for the next generation of consoles would be upgradeable components such as RAM, and possibly GPU (something like the upgradeable GPUs they use in laptops would work). If they allowed the RAM and GPU to be upgraded somewhere down the line, they could release a console that runs games that are out at release point for a decent price, and then some point down the line when they start to fall way behind PC graphics (they will always be behind, you know what I mean), they can release an upgrade pack that allows you to run newer games.

I guess this would be the same concept as the expansion pack that Nintendo allowed for in the N64, but a much better implementation that would make upgrading more worth it.

I won't be buying it at all. Sony has brought nothing interesting to the table for me this time around. I bought the 20GB PS3 off ebay for $340 when they started obviously chopping BC. For me it's a combination PS2/PS1/Blu Ray player.

Honestly, all we use it for is Blu-Ray. I played a few hours of Warhawk on it...some Tekken 5 DR...that's it. I use the Xbox and the Wii for gaming. The wife had Heavy Rain for a bit.

Normally, there's must-have first party games. But Final Fantasy sucks now (I'm an oldschool RPG lover...gimme Dragon Quest any day now). The Xbox gets titles like Devil May Cry, Street Fighter, and even FF games. And oddly to me the Xbox has been the better RPG box by far (love my Lost Odyssey). Other than that the RPGs seem to be moving more towards the PSP/DS and the Wii.

The only really-want game I even see in the future is Shadow of the Colussus/Ico collection this year, and The Last Guardian, which keeps getting delayed.

I want Full Backwards Compat. It's nice that the PS3 could play PS1 games, but it sucks having to have my old PS2 slim still hooked up for some of that gen's classics.

I hope the PS4 flop and marks the death of consoles for all eternity.

1. Integrate PSN+PS4 effortlessly like Live+360; if they don't do this, they've already failed. #1 sticking point IMHO. I like the PSN, I like the Ps3 quite a bit....but the integration between Live and the 360 is flawless, whereas the PSN is an afterthought on the XMB.
Either tweak the XMB or get rid of it altogether. (I don't have a problem with it, but if they can't better integrate the PSN with the console itself, then come up with a better GUI.)

2. Better R&D, better cooling solution, better hardware reliability

3. Keep the user accessible ridiculously easy to do 2.5" HDD upgrade.

4. Secure your online servers so there's no more "Playstation Network is down for maintenance." BS ever again.

5. Graphics on par with Uncharted/Killzone series' on everything or GTFO.

Last edited:
1- I hope Sony won't make the same mistake again and plan to release the PS4 within the same time frame of Microsoft's new console this time around, earlier would be better, but if that's not possible IMO it should be at most a few months later. The head start 360 got in this generation was huge and Sony struggled a lot to catch-up with them. PS2 dominated the market in the previous gen and it was released first, despite the fact that Xbox was much superior hardware wise.
I don't think that matters because a lot of people are worried about future proofing themselves, even though it's illogical. People will wait for a new system.
2- Easy architecture to develop for PLEASE, yes we know once the developers work hard enough they can utilize the Playstation's power, but the reality is that most developers are lazy and want to reduce costs as much as possible, having this alone will prevent the PS3 from having inferior multiplatform game ports and more developers will be interested to create games for it.
Sony already addressed this and said the PS4 will be easier to develop fore.
3- Not another $600 price tag please, if backwards compatibility will increase costs then for God's sake do not include it at first then remove it later to reduce costs! $400 to $450 sounds fair, blu-ray will be much cheaper to produce this time around so I don't think the price is too low.

I don't mind paying $600 for a high end console at all BTW (I'd pay as much just for a single PC GPU lol), but overall less sales because of high price= worse games = my loss at the end.

Share your thoughts about what you're hoping for Sony's PS4.
Sony said it does not make financial sense to have that much of an up front investment for the next gen systems. I would expect the PS4 and Xbox 3 to be comparable in price (guessing $399 at launch).

Security, that should be one of their main focuses. As big of a corp they are, it should've been strong and efficient from the beginning. They should implement SSD support (if they haven't yet) as well. Like zero said, having a integrated-client like networking system for online play would improve their overall security significantly, at least in my opinion.

My ultimate wish for the next generation of consoles would be upgradeable components such as RAM, and possibly GPU (something like the upgradeable GPUs they use in laptops would work). If they allowed the RAM and GPU to be upgraded somewhere down the line, they could release a console that runs games that are out at release point for a decent price, and then some point down the line when they start to fall way behind PC graphics (they will always be behind, you know what I mean), they can release an upgrade pack that allows you to run newer games.

I guess this would be the same concept as the expansion pack that Nintendo allowed for in the N64, but a much better implementation that would make upgrading more worth it.

Sony would need to do something to separate itself from the other systems. I have been a big Sony supporter, but the PSN hacking incident has soured me so much I think the PS3 is my last system. I dont think Im the only one either.

Sony would need to take a dramatic turn from the command and control evil corporation thing they have going on. Opening up the system to soft and hard modding would give it a huge appeal.
Sony needs an attitude change most of all.

Pay AMD a significant amount of dollars to develop an impressive Bulldozer/Radeon setup.

Pay a significant amount of dollars to have someone else design a psn/ps4 interface.

Enforce weekly security checks, ban hacked consoles, etc.

1080p + 4x msaa standard

Uncharted 4

Pay AMD a significant amount of dollars to develop an impressive Bulldozer/Radeon setup.

Pay a significant amount of dollars to have someone else design a psn/ps4 interface.

Enforce weekly security checks, ban hacked consoles, etc.

1080p + 4x msaa standard

Uncharted 4

i guess that means your for having them drop ps3 backwards compatibility 6 months after it is released... For the ps3 backwards compatibility the system has to have a similar base code or at least compatible with the base code to what the ps3 had so something cell compatible and something compatible with the nvidia graphics chip in the ps3. This is what sony should have concentrated on, a base code that can run independently from the hardware so that any future game console would support the older games being able to play ps3 games on my ps9... So if they decided to use a modified amd cpu and ati gpu they could with out breaking support for the previous generation. Mind you i am of the mindset that this is something they should have done in the r&d days of the ps3 using a module that had ps2 software compatibility.

Last edited:
I don't see how some people can see PS3 surviving as a main console till 2016,

Who says it's gonna be the main console at that time? Look at past Playstation releases and they all have overlaps, I can't see how some ppl keep missing this point :confused:

My personal info not to be left on an unsecured server.

I had to poke fun.

The same things I want with all of the new consoles. I'd like to see a 1080p standard option, additional (optional) 3D support, and games to feature high fidelity when possible. I'm also a fan of higher framerates, so the more games running over 40fps the better...and I'm even willing to sacrifice details to allow that.
They can integrate peripherals like move and whatnot all they want as long as there's the option to play with a normal pad AND the system comes with one so the market isn't splintered.

I don't see why backwards compatibility is such a huge issue. By the time the PS4 comes out, you'll be tired of all of your PS3 games anyways. If you really need to play them that bad, keep your PS3.

i guess that means your for having them drop ps3 backwards compatibility 6 months after it is released... For the ps3 backwards compatibility the system has to have a similar base code or at least compatible with the base code to what the ps3 had so something cell compatible and something compatible with the nvidia graphics chip in the ps3. This is what sony should have concentrated on, a base code that can run independently from the hardware so that any future game console would support the older games being able to play ps3 games on my ps9... So if they decided to use a modified amd cpu and ati gpu they could with out breaking support for the previous generation. Mind you i am of the mindset that this is something they should have done in the r&d days of the ps3 using a module that had ps2 software compatibility.

I could care less about backwards compatibility.

I don't own a PS3 and probably won't own a PS4. All of my friends are on Live so I'll probably stay there going forward.

Since you now have the PS3 master key exposed, I seriously doubt that PS4 will be backwards compatable with PS3

Now with that out of the way

1. Ability to play ALL games at 1080p
2. PC monitor support (DVI)
3. Better online support and security
4. >2TB stoage and if that means reverting back to a 3.5" drive so be it
5. Wireless N
6. BETTER CONTROLLERS those current 12 year old asian hand sized ones suck.....

I don't own a PS3 and probably won't own a PS4. All of my friends are on Live so I'll probably stay there going forward.

That's nice to know, thanks for your input. Are you buying Gears of War 3? Should be pretty epic! I personally have been playing Kinectimals, so fun and entertaining. Best exclusive out for 360 atm imo!

Since you now have the PS3 master key exposed, I seriously doubt that PS4 will be backwards compatable with PS3

Now with that out of the way

1. Ability to play ALL games at 1080p
2. PC monitor support (DVI)
3. Better online support and security
4. >2TB stoage and if that means reverting back to a 3.5" drive so be it
5. Wireless N
6. BETTER CONTROLLERS those current 12 year old asian hand sized ones suck.....

1. Given that 1080p for TV's at the PS3's launch wasn't common I don't think that was a priority then, it probably is now.
2. HDMI to DVI, already exists.
3. It's more secure than a PC when it comes to hacks, and the support is OK, it works for what it does.
4. What do you need this for? If you aren't pirating games to the HDD you don't need it. If you want movies and other items, well my PS3 works fine with my NAS.
5. :rolleyes: People game over ethernet, not wireless, wireless is bad for this.
6. Personal choice, I find the 360's controllers horrid. IMHO the best controllers of all time were the SNES and Saturns.

That's nice to know, thanks for your input. Are you buying Gears of War 3? Should be pretty epic! I personally have been playing Kinectimals, so fun and entertaining. Best exclusive out for 360 atm imo!

+1.

Why post in a thread about a Sony product, just to state you aren't going to be buying one, nor do you own the previous generation one. BUT you will play on Xbox Live!! LOL. Please.

I don't see why backwards compatibility is such a huge issue. By the time the PS4 comes out, you'll be tired of all of your PS3 games anyways. If you really need to play them that bad, keep your PS3.

Because its nice to have one console plugged in to your TV that will play all the games from the past. And then you don't have to have controllers from each system laying around. Bringing them all into one system with one set of controllers and hooked up only once is nice. And I don't know about you but sometimes you I want to play an original title, such as Crash Bandicoot or the first Tomb Raider.

1. Given that 1080p for TV's at the PS3's launch wasn't common I don't think that was a priority then, it probably is now.
2. HDMI to DVI, already exists.
3. It's more secure than a PC when it comes to hacks, and the support is OK, it works for what it does.
4. What do you need this for? If you aren't pirating games to the HDD you don't need it. If you want movies and other items, well my PS3 works fine with my NAS.
5. :rolleyes: People game over ethernet, not wireless, wireless is bad for this.
6. Personal choice, I find the 360's controllers horrid. IMHO the best controllers of all time were the SNES and Saturns.

1. Agree
2. Agree (I don't even know why this was mentioned)
3. Pratically everyone agrees that PSN integration should be a hell of a lot better and XMB should be trashed. Sony learned a lesson just as severe as Microsoft did with RROD I seriously doubt something this drastic happens again after this settles down.
4. Disagree, I have a 500GB HD in my PS3 and it is almost filled with PSN bought HD movies, demos, games, etc. I agree with the NAS but some people might be IT stupid and want something that just works.
5. Disagree, it makes shit difference. If you think it makes a significant difference you probably own a Killer NIC. Besides this is something else I can't believe was even mentioned because the PS3 already has this. It's not like they would release it with G only support or provide a 100 dollar wireless adapter.
7. Agree

Require all FPS and RTS games have mouse and keyboard support. I would like it to support any mouse and keyboard but even if they make it so that you have to use special PS4 mouse and keyboards I would be ok. They can add options for multiplayer games to only allow pads to keep things fair if they want.

Multi display support. I would be really surprised if they did this but I would really like to be able to use one system to play on 2 TVs. So instead of splitscreen in a game just have two TVs running at a reduced resolution and/or graphics level.

faster loading times.

Options for how long you have to press the PS button for something to happen (I don't think they have this on PS3 or 360 but if they do someone let me know.) Its really annoying when playing a game (mostly fighters) and someone accidently hits these buttons. Its not a big deal for most but I have a friend that can only use one hand so the way he holds the controller causes it to happen a lot. Adding that feature (which could be done to current consoles to) would be a small but nice addition.

Another thing, I want Sony to require that all games support keyboard and mouse control. I would probably buy more games if I could use WASD instead of dual analog.

EDIT: Good timing to the previous poster.

Because its nice to have one console plugged in to your TV that will play all the games from the past. And then you don't have to have controllers from each system laying around. Bringing them all into one system with one set of controllers and hooked up only once is nice. And I don't know about you but sometimes you I want to play an original title, such as Crash Bandicoot or the first Tomb Raider.

I understand why people would like it, I just personally wouldn't care. I'd imagine PS4 would be fully compatible with PS1 and PS2 but it's up to Sony. I can see why they would not want to have PS3 backwards compatibility. I'm waiting to see if Microsoft allows 100% backwards compatibility with 360 for Xbox 3.

EDIT: Mouse and Keyboard support is never going to happen.

To add some more:

1- A GPU/CPU combo + enough RAM to handle true 1080p games @ stable 60fps with ease, most of this generation's games native resolution is even well under 720p to keep a steady frame rate, I'll be very disappointed if this doesn't become a priority, almost everyone with an HDTV has access to 1080p now.

2- IMO they shouldn't add stuff IF it will significantly add to the console's total cost that will only benefit a specific group of people with such needs, i.e:
- If a huge drive will add a noticeable increase in the console's base cost (i.e 2+ TB), IMO they should just add something reasonable (i.e 500-640GB) and make the console as easy to upgrade the HDD as the PS3 for people who require more space.
- Backwards compatibility, again IMO this is totally unnecessary if it adds a significant amount to the price tag, I think Sony learned this with the PS3. Updating the PSN store on regular basis with remakes of legacy games with high demand would benefit Sony and fans.

3- I don't think there's a chance to add mouse/keyboard support, specially for FPS online games, PS3 is a console afterall so your average player won't have a mouse/keyboard, he'll instantly have a disadvantage when playing against those who have one in FPS multiplayer games for example.

Last edited:
3- I don't think there's a chance to add mouse/keyboard support, specially for FPS online games, PS3 is a console afterall so your average player won't have a mouse/keyboard, he'll instantly have a disadvantage when playing against those who have one in FPS multiplayer games for example.

Which is easily solved by having servers that only support pads. Also lots of people don't have Arcade sticks or racing wheels but they still support them in fighting games and racing games.

I play fighting games myself with an arcade stick, it's not an obvious advantage over pad (there are many pro pad players who destroy stick players these days), to me a mouse for aiming is a huge advantage over an analog stick.

Different servers would split a community which isn't big anyway, not worth it IMO.

This thread is either full of gaming noobs or serious trolls. Every other post either complains or requests items that everyone knows will never be a part of any console. Removable GPU and RAM, really?....It's a console, not a computer. :rolleyes:

Back