Ps3 ssd 2013

Droc

2[H]4U
With GTA V and nhl14 on my game list after my ps3 being basically a media server for the St few years, I'm hating the load times.
In the past a ssd was an upgrade, but I hear things about trim support and such that I don't know anything about.
Can anyone recommend a current ssd for ps3 use? Or a similar edifice controller. In the past people said vertex 2 drives but I hardly even see shitty ocz stuff anymore.

Can any responses avoided the cost benefit argument.

Its not worth the investment due to the limitations of the PS3. Thier will be very little difference in speed but i would definately recommend getting a larger HDD for the PS3. Trim only matters when in RAID

These will make zero difference. PS3 cannot utilize the data speed increase. He even a 7200 rpm drive makes no difference.

I couldn't recommend you a SSD to use on the PS3, but from what I read online, the SSD can help a few games in the texture pop up areas, but for a majority of them the SSD didn't add anything to the game. Maybe now it'll be better on games that are full digital versions and stored on the SSD completely, but I don't remember reading anything about better load times and the digital titles on SSDs. Trim support needs to be implemented in the PS3 OS to be taken advantage of and AFAIK it is not in there, so I don't know if just having trim supported on the SSD will help you at all with drive longevity.

On the PS3 SSD Hard Drives typically don't improve the actual games at all other than games that stream textures from the HD.

Faster install times, 2% of the PS3 might change. Most load times are not even different.

The only way I'd do it is if you happen to have a spare SSD laying around. A minor (but $ for $ expensive) upgrade for a lame duck system wouldn't be very high on my "to do" list.

With GTA V and nhl14 on my game list after my ps3 being basically a media server for the St few years, I'm hating the load times.
In the past a ssd was an upgrade, but I hear things about trim support and such that I don't know anything about.
Can anyone recommend a current ssd for ps3 use? Or a similar edifice controller. In the past people said vertex 2 drives but I hardly even see shitty ocz stuff anymore.

Can any responses avoided the cost benefit argument.
I'd like to help, but first:

Its not worth the investment due to the limitations of the PS3. Thier will be very little difference in speed but i would definately recommend getting a larger HDD for the PS3. Trim only matters when in RAID

These will make zero difference. PS3 cannot utilize the data speed increase. He even a 7200 rpm drive makes no difference.
These two quotes are erroneous and inaccurate.

PS3 and TRIM: Yes, it's true, the PS3 does not support TRIM cmd. The TRIM cmd is used by the OS to speed up the SSD garbage collection process that relocates and clears blocks of data so that new data can be written much faster. TRIM matters for SSD's regardless of being in a RAID array. On a computer, TRIM is important because the system is consistently writing data to the disk, even when you are not installing or saving programs. In a PS3 TRIM does not matter as much since the system utilizes the disk much differently. If you have a newer SSD it will have garbage collection algorithms that will help keep the SSD performing in tip-top shape. Note: Trim only affects write speeds, so all read benefits will still be there even if you never TRIM the SSD.

As for the performance gains, a SSD in a PS3 will help in some areas. Some examples are installing game data will be drastically cut down. Also loading some areas, like in games like Gran Turismo 5, will be improved. The GTA V video posted here is another example.

You can search PS3 SSD on Google and find many sites that show the load and save time improvements that an SSD can make for a PS3. While a SSD does not provide drastic overall improvements there are improvements made.

Another option is going for a Seagate Hybrid SSD. These drives, like other SSD's, will take care of themself. Otherwise you have a 750GB hard drive to save data on an 8GB of flash storage that the drive will use as a cache. These are not quiet as an improvement as a pure SSD, but they are more affordable if you need a lot of GB. WD will be releasing their version of a hybrid drive some time this fall.

Last edited:
I've been running a verbatim 128GB sata II ssd in my PS3 for about a year now. Its nice. Like mentioned. Most drives have built in garbage collection and wear-leveling.

The PS3 is limited to Sata 150 speeds. Most mechanical HDD's don't saturate that bus so SSD can help!

You will see gains in downloaded games. or games with data on the drive vs. disk. So if GTA:V loads data mostly from the drive there will be faster load times.

About the only downside I've seen with my SSD has been with updates. Most times they install no problem other times the system will act like its installing them and reboot. Once rebooted it will want to download the update a 2nd time as it failed the 1st time. Its rare but happened a few times now. I think its just too fast for its own good :cool:

I'd say a Seagate Hybrid is a good choice. I had one before I popped the SSD in. Mostly the same speed after the ssd cache kicks in.

Thanks guys.

I have to laugh though, I said let's not discuss the cost benefits, just we'd to know what drivesoor controllers worked as I know some don't have garbage or maintain built in.

I'd love to put a SSD back in mine but with PSN+ it's impossible.

Depends,

I dropped a 512 in my PS3 as the blu-ray drives keep blowing out (I smoke) so I run all my games off a complete install. There are gains! But they are minimal, and if you're just running games off discs or a combination of disc + partial install those are pretty much wiped out.

Isnt that completely overkill compared to other ssd drives?

When shopping for a 250GB SSD I would pay the extra 20 dollars for the Samsung EVO over a 250GB Crucial/Mushkin/OCZ etc brands. That's my personal preference.

Samsungs design seems to me worth the 20 dollars. As the world’s #1 DRAM, NAND Flash, and SSD supplier; Samsung SSDs are designed and built completely in-house. Their 3-bit/cell as opposed to the traditional 2-bits/cell that regular MLC NAND contains. Their reliability. Fast 3 core MDX controller. The Evo's cores are clocked now at 400MHz, unlike my older 840 is clocked at 300MHz.

My whole thing was I wanted to personally max out my PS3's READ and WRITES and have that .1ms access time not that 5ms-10ms stock 5400rpm hard drive crap. Like others say helps with texture pop in, level loading, menu loading, game exiting, saving. Installs games 2x as fast from disc from my experience. Backups don't take forever like the 5400rpm drive does.

Don't get me wrong some games won't make much difference. Then there's Gran Turismo 5 and 6, GTA 4 and 5, Oblivion and Skyrim, FFXIII etc. that equal a world of difference imho. Every game you download you will also save time on the installation process. It may only be 2-5 minutes on average but for me that time is worth it. Then the chronic .1ms access versus 5ms+ access reads, it adds up whether people want to admit it or not. I'm not trying to sell anyone on it, I just wanted the best read/write performance from my PS3 with enough space for my needs. I mean if you play Bejeweled or Sports Champions all day long you don't need an SSD, but if you play sandboxy type games or just huge PS3 games like I mentioned earlier it's a nicer gaming experience. Use a little less heat and wattage also, not that it matters but what the hell I say!

I always thought the original PS3 was only Sata 1, and the PS3 Slim was Sata 2? Well maybe all PS3's have just a Sata 1 150GB peak. I can't find any concrete information with google searches. I've read some sites that claim the Slims are Sata 1 (1.5GPs), and other sites say the Slims have Sata 2 or and (3GBps speed).

Either way the Sata 1 HD that comes stock is terrible I think 90MB reads peak and 30MB writes peak with the Hitachi Travelstar Z5k series.

The Samsung 840 250GB SSD can do 500MB read and 240MB write with Sata6GB/s. So if my Slim PS3 is Sata 1 I'm getting the 150MB READ and WRITE maxed out all day long, OR if it is a Sata 2 on the PS3 slim I'm getting 300MB read and 240MB write over the 90MB read and 30MB write bottleneck of the stock 5400rpm drive. SATA 6 speeds I won't see from this drive unless I pull it and put it in a PS4 assuming the USB 3.0 clue us to SATA 6 native on PS4. The money for the SSD wasn't a problem for me, I game everyday basically or family does.

That means read times theoretically have 66% more bandwidth available. (90MB VS 150MB)

Write Times: 500% more available bandwidth (from 30MB to 150MB) on just theoretical SATA1 speeds.

Whatever... I've probably done the math wrong and am misinformed,spent far to much. I know for a fact it's faster than the stock HD by far in certain large games. I used the stock hard drive for about 4 months before I picked up the SSD as well just so you guys know it's not any kind of placebo effect and it also isn't a million times faster as well. It's just HIGHLY noticeable if your coming from a 5400RPM drive.

Overkill for 20 dollars alone is worth it unless you can find a 250GB SSD for 100.00 dollars, and r tight as heck on cashflow. That's just to much drama for me to get concerned with though. I'd just jiggalo that problem away if I had it, you know what I'm sayin? lolz. How's that for an opinion. :eek:

Just seems to me like your taking a veyron on a bike path when you could max out the PS3 bandwidth with almost any SSD for half the cost. In my neck of the woods, the 840 EVO is the most expensive SSD in every capacity. I get its a top end drive, but its a silly recommendation. Be like me telling my grandmother she needs a Titan to check her email.

Either way, Ill ask elsewhere as no one read the first post and its gone unanswered.

Back