PS3 HD swap question

Nettwerk

2[H]4U
I have a 20gig ps3 and wanna install a 160 gig drive. Can I hook up the 160 gig drive to the usb and backup the 20 gig drive then install the 160 gig drive and it be ready to go or do I need to backup the 20 gig drive to something else and restore to the 160 gig drive from that?

I have a 20gig ps3 and wanna install a 160 gig drive. Can I hook up the 160 gig drive to the usb and backup the 20 gig drive then install the 160 gig drive and it be ready to go or do I need to backup the 20 gig drive to something else and restore to the 160 gig drive from that?

U will have to back it up to something else. The PS3 will want to format the new drive right off the bat.

download disc wizard from Seagate to format your USB drive with fat32 (that is if you want more than ~30 gb partitions)

as for the rest you got it.

1) plugin fat32 formatted usb drive
2) backup HDD
3) turn off PS3, remove old HDD, put in new drive (careful not to strip the screws!)
4) turn on PS3, restore the drive from USB

it should take 30-45 mins tops.

Sorry for the thread jack but, Can the new drive be 7200rpm or does it have to be a 5400rpm drive?

I'm looking to get a 40 gig'er and I'm not sure if that will be enough storage for me.

7200RPM should be no problem, I personally have a 5400RPM hybrid (512MB of flash on the drive) with no issues. Can't say wether the load times are any quicker.

We should have a how to replace your PS3 HDD sticky! :D

qft, step by step.

Or maybe just a screenshot of the Fracking Manual that comes with the PS3 showing EXACTLY how to fracking replace the hard drives and exactly what type of HD they need.

Seriously...how lazy are these people.

Back