PS3 2.20 (BD Live) update is available

BassTek

Supreme [H]ardness
Just a heads up that the PS3 2.20 update is available. It supposedly adds the following:

-- BD-Live interactive playback
-- Copy photo and music playlists over USB to PSP
-- "Resume play" will enable PS3 system to start playing a Blu-ray disc
and DVD at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been
removed.(*1)
-- "Audio Output Device" will be a new Remote Play setting, enabling PSP
to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.
-- PS3 system's Internet browser will be enhanced: Video files directly
linked from a Web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser's
view speed will be improved.
-- DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB will be playable.
-- "Mosquito Noise Reduction" will be added as an AV setting in the
control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback.(*2)

*1 BD-J format disc is not supported.
*2 BD discs recorded with BDMV format are not supported.

Just finished the update a few minutes ago. Took about 5-10 min, no issues so far.

Really looking forward to BD-Live, assuming the studios make good use of it. Discs that support it are supposed to start arriving next month, we'll see.

i installed a little while ago, i'm very happy they added resume play. kudos to sony for releasing regular updates.

wow, i always wanted to us my psp as a remote for the ps3 hooked up to my music system. Roll on bluray conversion

I'm curious as to why anyone thinks the BD-Live stuff is anything to get excited about. The free demos in the PS store are, and probably always will be far better than anything a studio will include on a movie disc. The resume feature is a very welcome addition - provided the BD is authored to support it -but it only underscores how unfortunate it is that BD won the format war, where HD DVD had that option as mandatory and not an option when authoring.

Did anyone else have their background turn black after updating?

I'm curious as to why anyone thinks the BD-Live stuff is anything to get excited about. The free demos in the PS store are, and probably always will be far better than anything a studio will include on a movie disc. The resume feature is a very welcome addition - provided the BD is authored to support it -but it only underscores how unfortunate it is that BD won the format war, where HD DVD had that option as mandatory and not an option when authoring.

Did anyone else have their background turn black after updating?

True that HD DVD had that support built into all their hardware from Day 1, although I can't say I used it on any of the HD DVDs that I own. I'm basically happy that BD has finally 'caught up', and since HD DVD is dead it's nice to have that level of interactivity again.

I'm more excited about the resume feature, but since BD-J discs don't support it I doubt it will be useful on the majority of the discs being released these days.

If a disk asks for internet access does that mean it has the interactive content? Or is that not something the disk was doing just the PS3 for the first blue ray disk I popped in?

FYI the movie was 3:10 to Yuma.

If a disk asks for internet access does that mean it has the interactive content? Or is that not something the disk was doing just the PS3 for the first blue ray disk I popped in?

FYI the movie was 3:10 to Yuma.

I have 3:10 to Yuma and as far as I know it doesn't have online content (I'm not sure if any do yet). I also don't recall it asking for internet access either, maybe your PS3 needed to update something.

It was specicially for a blue ray disk. though it was not a menue within the disk. It was as if it detected a blue ray disk and then asked. Maybe in perperation for the new content that may or may not be coming?

I thought with this update one would be able to transfer Blu-ray movies to the PSP, I tried to this last night but could not figure it out. Maybe I am missing something?

Back