Projector recommendation less than 500

EvilViking

I Drank All Your Beer
Trying to help a friend of mine. He is looking to put a projector is his room. It's going to be used mainly for movies, streaming and light ps3 gaming. He wants it ceiling mounted. What would you guys recommend for under 500?

Thanks

Save up and get the Optoma HD131x.
6000hr life with a very bright bulb, awesome picture quality, great 3D and its pretty quiet!
3D glasses are £24 from amazon, probably less in the US.
If he uses it for 4 hrs a day, every single day, the bulb will last around 4 years.

There are a lot of 720p projectors for about $500; and many Playstation 3 games play best in 720p. They still provide a lot of "WOW" for only $500.

I do highly recommend trying to save up for 1080p, since the big screen demands the extra pixels. Those often begin at about $800 and up, and will benefit movies quite a bit.

For projector talk, I suggest the "sub-$3000 projector" forum at AVSFORUM.com

Measure room as the throw length will determine what he can use.

Make sure he checks a DLP out in person. Many people suffer from the rainbow effect. For such people an LCD is the only option.

Good points.
The HD131x (and HD25) are long throw, you need around 4metre distance from the screen to get a 120" diagonal screen.

I saw my first DLP rainbow effect when I watched Lincoln a few weeks ago.
It appeared as I blinked while shifting my eyes during a very dark black and white scene.
The white edges threw huge Red Green and Blue chunks of colour across my vision for a split moment.
I havent seen it on anything else, phew.

Back