Project: Love PC (first time modder)

joeyguy

Weaksauce
howdy

short introduction, my name is joey, im 20, i live in indiana, im a computer

technician, i have always been into computer mods but i never actually did a

complete project my self

long story short, i was in the shop one day and ran across an old gateway (dont

remember the model name), the lady didnt want it anymore, and no one in the shop

wanted, but i decided to take it just for the heck of it. (all the hardware was

surge damaged so the only worthwhile thing was the computer case). i decided this

was a great oppurtunity to use the case to do my first mod!

check out the peice of junk here:
gatewaySMw.jpg

i thought about it for a while and came up with what i wanted to do. build my

girlfriend a kick ass computer! and yeah this was the perfect time, her birthday is

coming up in october.

i decided to build a love machine. the kinda computer that would last >.<

here's the work log so far:
DSCN4071.jpg

here's the front panel of the gateway, im sorry but the cow box has got to go

DSCN4074.jpg

tape it up

DSCN4075.jpg

and i did the dumb thing, took a round sanding bit to it, haha, then i filed it

down

DSCN4076.jpg

then sanded it down, i know i messed up, but i made up for my stupidity later on

DSCN4080.jpg

bought a sanding block and sanded the crap out of those pits, wee! after this

picture, i cleaned up the sanding with some 1000 grit and lots of elbow grease

moving to the craptastical front panel, i decided it needed a new look. i didnt

take a second to think about it, vinyl dye to save the day.

DSCN4081.jpg

my first time dying

DSCN4085.jpg

didnt know what to do with the button, but i taped it up and painted it anyways. i

figured if im going to use it in the final deal, might as well be black, because

the front panel that attaches to this panel was going to be pink.

DSCN4088.jpg

paint dat button black

DSCN4089.jpg

and everyone else too

DSCN4090.jpg

they all came out looking really great!

now its time to work on the attachment panel. i wanted it to be pink, and couldnt

for the life of me find any pink vinyl dye. i was going to make it red, but i

figured that would just throw off the uniqueness of this project.

so lets primer this thing, its gonna be painted anyways

DSCN4092.jpg

primer primer primer, i did 4 coats of primer, and sanded with 220/320 in between

coats. each coat was allowed 2 hours to dry. this was the first time i ever layed

my hands on a can of paint.

troubled by how i was going to do pink, i complained to my best friend how would i

ever find pink plastic paint... he brought to my attention how model cars are made

of plastic, and model car paint comes in tons of colors. unluckily i live in

connersville, a small ass town with very little selection of ANYTHING. perfect

logic told me white and red made pink, so i went to walmart and bought a model car

spray paint kit. i was in luck, this was going to work.

DSCN4094.jpg

ok so here's the colors i used to make my own pink.

next it was time to choose what to cut into the case. i've never used a dremel

before, and didnt know how complex it would be. but i knew i wanted a heart shape.

i went looking on the internet to find what i could possibly put on the side. i

ended up finding a cool looking tattoo logo. i modified it a bit and then

photoshopped it at 300 dpi on a 8 x 10. the 8 x 10 took up almost all the surface

area of the case so this was the perfect application. printed it out and started

cutting out with an exacto knife to make a stencil. here's a pic of the logo

DSCN4095.jpg

after cutting it out, i had to find the perfect placement. after finding where it

would work best, i taped it on the case and proceeded to trace the stencil directly

onto the case.

DSCN4099.jpg

reading tons and tons of tutorials, i found that you really needed to mask down the

parts of the case that were not going to be cut. the best way i could do this with

such a complicated pattern was to just tape over it all, and once again cut out the

patterns outlines with an exacto knife.

DSCN4101.jpg

she's all taped up and ready to go.

meanwhile, mr. attachment panel was recieving its first coats of pink.

DSCN4103.jpg

lookin good

ok so here came the daunting task of using a dremel for the first time, and using

it on metal. man, i learned a lot doing all of this. but here's me starting to cut.

DSCN4106.jpg

so far so good

i used lots of discs, cuz i think i have the wrong ones. but i must have used at

least 60 of these discs with this dremel

DSCN4109.jpg

so i finally finished cutting out all the holes 3 days later. it was a lot of work.

dont forget to wear a painters mask while doing this. the metal flakes form into a

powder cloud in the air, and if you breath it in, its not a good ffeeling. luckily

i don't know this from experience, because i did it the safe way!

DSCN4110.jpg

the cut out, finished. my first dremel job >.< (sanding and filling later!)

DSCN4111.jpg

after 4 light coats of finisher, the panel is done. and it came out with the

perfect texture like i wanted. not too glossy, and not too flat. yay!

DSCN4112.jpg

another good shot of the cuts

and...

DSCN4114.jpg

the panel assembly (finished)

more to come soon, thanks for looking.

and just for your information, my girlfriend knows nothing about this project. so

yeah, this is a suprise at the moment! >.<

That looks really nice.
For a first time modder, you seem to have it down to a science!
That Heart looks awesome.

She is really gonna love this!

looking good. that pink looks really cool. where'd you get the thing that lets you use the little bottle of paint as spray paint? (what's it called)

i could use something like that i think...

rogue_jedi said:
looking good. that pink looks really cool. where'd you get the thing that lets you use the little bottle of paint as spray paint? (what's it called)

i could use something like that i think...
hey, i got it at walmart, you can find it right next to the model cars or model car accessories

they even sold air brushe kits with air compressors if you were really hardcore into model car painting. but thats the great thing, this stuff works GREAT on plastic. its really easy to mix your own colors, fairly inexpensive, and it feels like its going to last after i put the clear coat (krylon acrylic finisher) over it.

i will get you the name and a picture tonight when i get home from work ;)

Majin said:
That looks really nice.
For a first time modder, you seem to have it down to a science!
That Heart looks awesome.

She is really gonna love this!

hey thanks! :)

mashie said:
This thread is a good proof that a bit of research can do wonders.

I'm looking forward to see how this project turns out.

indeed, and i learned everything from forums, and modding sites

you really can do a lot on your own as long as you focus. considering computers are my professional, hobby, and entertainment, it wasnt hard to like what i was learning lol.

anyways, i should have some updates soon, need to file out the dremel cuts and make em look nice.

till then,
-Joey

Wow... For a first time modder... That looks (and is done in a matter) really proffesional.

I'll be watching this one to see where it goes.

That looks freakin' awesome man, im looking forward to seeing this finished xD

Looking good. Have you tried mounting a motherboard in that case yet? I have worked on those before and a regular mATX board won't fit. well at least with a powersupply anyway. I did manage to get a mini-itx in one of those cases. in fact it mounts up without any problems, other than having to cut out the back for the new backplate.

Spaceninja said:
Looking good. Have you tried mounting a motherboard in that case yet? I have worked on those before and a regular mATX board won't fit. well at least with a powersupply anyway. I did manage to get a mini-itx in one of those cases. in fact it mounts up without any problems, other than having to cut out the back for the new backplate.
actually im glad you brought that up
im putting a mini itx board in it, and that was my plan from the get go

i did think about going matx, but i thought to my self that this is a good oppurtunity to use one of the mini itx boards, mainly because i'll have more room for the lights that are going in (and this case is LIMITED on space)

im goin with the new sp thats 1.3 ghz and supports the ddr400 memory

its gonna be shweet. and for the back plate, i was actually thinking of either making a plexi one that screws in (just to accent the inside lighting), or making a black plate (metal or plexi)

for the powersupply, im thinking of ordering one from frozencpu.com, with it pre-sleeved. if i do, im going to get the molex connector kit (if i can find em without those retarded top and bottom arm things)
::edit:: the only matx powersupply that they have. i have looked, and the holes do match up and it will fit, im just not too sure about the fan that comes off the side. if it doesnt look like its gonna work out, i will have to once again learn something new and do something for the first time, re-sleeve and put new molex connectors on a psu. :)

does anyone know what the results are when you use a regular cold cathode light with a uv light? because i'd really like the window to shine with a pinkish-red (found it at crazypc.com), but i also want the molex connectors to "glow" red too

hmmm

joeyguy said:
my first time dying
You better won't :eek:

FYI, the word you're looking for is 'dyeing' ^_-

That aside, I must say that I love this colour of pink. Did you just mix the white and red paint or did you actually measure the quantities? If this camera is anywhere near accurate with colours, then this case will turn out great!

BTW, when cutting so much with a dremel, you might want to invest in some diamond cut-off wheels :)

Elledan said:
You better won't :eek:

FYI, the word you're looking for is 'dyeing' ^_-

That aside, I must say that I love this colour of pink. Did you just mix the white and red paint or did you actually measure the quantities? If this camera is anywhere near accurate with colours, then this case will turn out great!

BTW, when cutting so much with a dremel, you might want to invest in some diamond cut-off wheels :)
hehe, thank you for the correction

when i bought the kit, it did not include white. although it included a primer, i was smart enough to know thats not your regular everyday white. anyways, i bought an extra white (they sold colors in single bottles). to achieve that color of pink, i actually mixed the entire bottle of white, 9/10ths (nearly all) of the red, and just a tad (maybe 1/20th) of the teal. it made a sweet looking pink (which took around 10 to 15 minutes of straight mixing to get it homogenous). i think it comes through so well because of the several coats of primer i made. the clear coat was EXACTLEY what i wanted as far as texture goes. i used kyrlon's "acrylic clear" finisher. it says on the bottle "non-yellowing finisher".

the paints i used are technically acrylic paints for model cars. but you can mix your own colors very easily, and its a cheap way of painting plastic. it works really well too.

yeah my camera is extremely accurate at colors. i have a nikon coolpix, 2.1 megapixels. bought it about a year or so ago at newegg, with a 64 mb SD card, all for 160!

anyways im rambling on and on. i want those diamond wheels, but i doubt walmart carries them. i dont really have the time to wait for shipping either, i need to get this painted soon.

cheers,
-Joey

Those little psu's are hard to find, if you can use the one that is in it (if it is still good) just get a sleeving kit and go that way. I looked for sometime and just made a new plate for mine and mounted one of the mini spu's that you see in alot of HP's. Took a little time but made things easier in the long run. The mini itx boards don't require alot of power so that is a bonus.

wee an update!

did a little work today
grinding out the jagged edges on the cuts, sanding on the cuts, and then finaly using a steel brush on it

im fairly satisfied with the results, but i do wish it was a little smoother, if anyone has any tips, please let me know

i dont know how well you can tell by the picture, but it looks a lot better than it did.
DSCN4119.jpg

and all of this was possible with my new dremel set purchased at the lovely walmart, with every day low prices of course
DSCN4120.jpg

Spaceninja said:
Those little psu's are hard to find, if you can use the one that is in it (if it is still good) just get a sleeving kit and go that way. I looked for sometime and just made a new plate for mine and mounted one of the mini spu's that you see in alot of HP's. Took a little time but made things easier in the long run. The mini itx boards don't require alot of power so that is a bonus.

the original psu is definately dead
i plan on using a matx power supply from newegg if the one at frozen cpu doesnt work

i have another mod planned for the future, that i can use the frozen cpu matx psu in if it doesnt work in this one

oh and i dont know if anyone knows this but, i just thought i'd mention that for this project i purchased every single thing i needed. i didnt pre-own any of the tools or materials to make this.

so far i've spent like 200 dollars, lol.

Humour said:
Geez, your a devoted boyfriend :p

When you truley love someone it's amazing what you do :p. Just this past weekend I spent $1500 on a trip to see my girl in CT (I live in GA). I also bought her a $900 laptop. Truth is, I don't even own a laptop yet and I bought her a brand new one! :p. (FYI: She doesn't like it when I spend lots of money on her because she doesn't feel she deserves it, but she BADLY needed a laptop. The family PC just wasn't cutting it and her room is so small she can't even have a shuttle PC)

late night update

today i grinded, filed, sanded, pre-buffed, buffed, buffed some more, sanded some more, then decided to take pictures, and do some photoshop simulations! lets go

note: i actually thought for one second that i almost did this entire window upside down! when i had the notion, i quickly stopped what i was doing, grabbed it, ran upstairs, and poped the case in. i was in luck... i had not done it upside down. i actually did it upside down according to gateway, but i want the tower to sit on its side with the psu up and the half height's towards the floor. i tested and i was clean. shew!

DSCN4123.jpg

here she is, after all the work today, i think its lookin a lot cleaner

DSCN4125.jpg

detail shot of the horizontal surface

DSCN4126.jpg

some more detail shots

DSCN4127.jpg

as you can tell, my cuts weren't that perfect, i tried to do the best i could with the cone grinding, but some spots were just too tight.

DSCN4129.jpg

another full shot of the cutting/grinding work

DSCN4130.jpg

here's a close up, you can see how the edges aren't perfect, but i think the paint will make up for this (its really buffed, you can run your finger over it and it feels like plastic)

DSCN4132.jpg

here's my cheesy photoshop simulation. notice the red glow isnt paint, thats just the "effect" i think the cathode will produce in low light, lol

DSCN4133.jpg

wee, isnt black and pink just SEXAY

welp, im randy! time for bed!

painting tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Humour said:
Geez, your a devoted boyfriend :p
i like to think so, i hope she does too, lol.

we've been together for a year and 7 months, and all i hear about is her complaining about her damn computer. her mom has got their computer full of adware/spyware/viruses and crap. one night i had her read me the processes list from task manager and i just sat back and laughed. her mom is sort of strict about things (my gf is still in high school) and is VERY strict about the computer. so i had a talk with her momma, and she said it was cool if i built her one. so finally my gf will have her own computer and there will be no more crappage to worry about, WEE.

Leon2ky said:
When you truley love someone it's amazing what you do :p. Just this past weekend I spent $1500 on a trip to see my girl in CT (I live in GA). I also bought her a $900 laptop. Truth is, I don't even own a laptop yet and I bought her a brand new one! :p. (FYI: She doesn't like it when I spend lots of money on her because she doesn't feel she deserves it, but she BADLY needed a laptop. The family PC just wasn't cutting it and her room is so small she can't even have a shuttle PC)
woah man, i dont know if i'd go that far!

but i have spent 800 dollars on/with her in 4 days. but we had the time of our lives :)

If that simulation is to be believed, then this will become a truly beautiful case :)

I just wish I had a boyfriend who'd do such a thing for me ^_^

I'm sure there's a [H]ard|Forum [H]ook|up thread over in General Mayhem somewhere. :eek: :D

i notice you slipped with the dremel... oops. when you sand to paint it should come right out.

for the tight spots - look for hand files. small ones. if you have a radio shack, i picked up a set of tiny files for $10 (or less, i forget now) and they work pretty well in the corners. only problem is i dunno if they carry them anymore, i think they were clearance. so ymmv.

walmart may have some too, i dunno.

if noone has them, then you *can* (not necessarily recommended, it can really be bad if you mess up) use the cutting discs to smooth out the edges. you would kinda slide the disc slowly (and without much force) along the rough edge. if you push too hard, the disc shatters. shattering dremel discs != fun. so that's a possibility, just not a very good one.

rogue_jedi said:
i notice you slipped with the dremel... oops. when you sand to paint it should come right out.

for the tight spots - look for hand files. small ones. if you have a radio shack, i picked up a set of tiny files for $10 (or less, i forget now) and they work pretty well in the corners. only problem is i dunno if they carry them anymore, i think they were clearance. so ymmv.

walmart may have some too, i dunno.

if noone has them, then you *can* (not necessarily recommended, it can really be bad if you mess up) use the cutting discs to smooth out the edges. you would kinda slide the disc slowly (and without much force) along the rough edge. if you push too hard, the disc shatters. shattering dremel discs != fun. so that's a possibility, just not a very good one.
thank you for the advice

i actually have shattered a few discs, but that was during the "getting the hang of dremel" period. but i have used the technique you are talking about, actually i had no choice. after getting my kit, i realized that there just weren't goint to be any grinding cones that were small enough to do what a cutting disc could do. it worked like i thought it would.

i used a small file in a few places, but i need to really go buy my own kit. the one my dad has doesn't look like its for metal (and its wore out a little bit).

i would love to see some shots of similair complicated patterns. just to know that im not weak for not being able to make this perfect lol.

::edit::
oh yeah, i slipped with the rubber buffer. thats the line you see there. im pretty sure it will come out during one of the coats of primer. :)

If your kit came with a wire brush attachment, that might be worth a try. I'd think it would be fairly flexible to push down into the crevices from the top (or bottom). Only downside would be that you'd have to re-polish it all afterwards.

uzor said:
I'm sure there's a [H]ard|Forum [H]ook|up thread over in General Mayhem somewhere. :eek: :D
:p

There's a difference between finding a suitable date and being assaulted by a horde of desperate bachelors ^_-

uzor said:
If your kit came with a wire brush attachment, that might be worth a try. I'd think it would be fairly flexible to push down into the crevices from the top (or bottom). Only downside would be that you'd have to re-polish it all afterwards.

yeah, i used the steel brush attachment on all of the edges

it helped a little

rogue_jedi said:

They're called needle files, by the way. DEFINITELY useful for that sort of thing.
Hobbybox has them for $6.32 apparently. I bet you could find them elsewhere too. But totally useful.

cool, I upgraded my wife's old gateway a few years ago (GF at the time) needless to say, but she wasn't impressed.

She barely noticed, that I bumped her up from a 166Mhz Pentium to a 900Mhz Celeron with my old GF2GTS videocard.

And recently, since my wife was back in school (masters) I decided to build her a better mini PC (and a backup gamer for me! ;)) I built a nice fancy looking shuttle with a pimped out purple paint job.... she still wasn't impressed.

So word of warning, even though you spend tons of time pimping it out... she may still be like "Ehh... ok..... thanks for the COMPUTER!"

Some things girls just can't (just usually dont) FULLY appreciate. (like a nice bowling ball, souped up hot rod engine, pimped out PC!)

Though she did appreciate the 19" flat panel.

Great job for a first time. It is nice to know that all the info that you can need is out there, you just need to look for it.

And you will be extremely happy with a set of neddle files. I used to have lots of them for working on peuter figures.

joeyguy said:
does anyone know what the results are when you use a regular cold cathode light with a uv light? because i'd really like the window to shine with a pinkish-red (found it at crazypc.com), but i also want the molex connectors to "glow" red too

hmmm

If you want the molex connectors to glow, actually make them glow! Why not just put LEDs inside them? I've seen a few tutorials; I'm sure you can find them.

Beats UV any day.

Also, have you considered using red plexi for the window instead of clear?

Back