Problems with video card and DirectX?

drkfce

Limp Gawd
I seem to be having a problem with my video card. When I transfered an old hard drive from my system to another, I obviously had to take it apart. After assembling everything back together and booted up, loading up Diablo II gives me an error along the lines of "error 25: A critical error has occurred while initializing Direct3D". I looked up blizzard support, where it said to do a video test to check it out. According to the test, I have neither the option to use direct3d, directdraw, or software rendering. So, in essence, Diablo II simply won't work.

At first, I thought, since I put the video card and hard drive on the same power line, that they were both sucking up too much power, but after changing cables, it still did not fix it. Multiple reboots and reinstallations of both D2 and display drivers do nothing as well. I know that this setup should work, I was playing but not two hours ago!

Windows XP pro
Radeon 9800 pro
Asus A7N8X-E

I checked "dxdiag" and every test sans directx7 one passed, it said something about "Test failed at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8007000e (Out of memory)". I'd be willing to reinstall directx, but it seems there isn't a dependable uninstaller to get the crap out.

So, to recap, I have tried:

1)Reaseating the video card
2)Giving the video card it's own power line to the PSU
3)Install newest display drivers
4)Reinstalling Diablo II
5)Testing it on other games (Midtown Madness didn't allow direct 3d or directdraw either)
6)Using dxdiag, where only directx7 gave a problem
7)Rebooting multiple times
8)Googling for answers

All to no avail. Any suggestions?

Back