Problems moving from 98 to XP

Asazman

Supreme [H]ardness
My friend brought her home computer up to me at school so I could get off the viruses spyware etc.. and even upgrade it to XP. It only had 64mb of pc100 in it so I added a 128mb stick to it and installed XP. The entire process went flawlessly and I returned her computer.

She called me today saying that she cannot surf outside of compuserve...they have dialup, with compuserve, and they have a client much like AOL, MSN etc... She can surf to any page within the compuserve program, but not at all outside of it. She was not even able to ping.

I got her to create a new connection with the compuserve info and it was not able to connect...

She is getting error 678 with that connection. The windows firewall is turned off.

Thanks!

Its a self contained dialup app that will input all necessary settings to XP
you prob dont have complete dialup config loaded for XP, so you can only go internal compusrv which already has settings as part of its install

cisco guy said:
Its a self contained dialup app that will input all necessary settings to XP
you prob dont have complete dialup config loaded for XP, so you can only go internal compusrv which already has settings as part of its install

i did, that's where i got error 678 from.

ashmedai said:
Has she called Compuserve yet?
That's what I would do. If she's paying the ridiculous rates for dial-up, she should at least use their support options to get something for her money.

Back