Problem with vid card. I think?

mdmalara

n00b
My computer problem solving abilites are basically limted to system restore, so hopefully someone who reads this can give me some advice.
I started up my computer today and when I loaded games I was getting these horizontal lines accross my monitor, or even what seemed like smudges on the graphics on newer games. I also had purple lines on my desktop at certain times, like on my sysmetrix.
I had not recently changed anything on my computer things have been working fine for months. My fans are working fine, and I know its not my moniter.
A friend suggested that I install new drivers, now that I did that, my computer boots up to just past the windows loading screen and then goes black and never goes to my desktop.
He suggested making sure my vid card was pushed all the way. It didn't seem loose but i pushed it in anyway. I rebooted and windows says they are sorry for inconvenience but windows can't boot up normally probobly because of some hardware change or failure. Something like that. Anyway it brings me back to a black screen and I cant use my computer. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Some of my specs:
Radeon 9700
ASUS A7N8X deluxe
AMD 2800+

hope that helps :D

Try another video card in the system. If you have a spare one. Preferably an ATI one but anyone will do.

Okay i tried a different card and the computer works fine. Should i just assume my other card is not repairable and i should get a new card?

Back