Problem with SATA and IDE DVDrw

Big Worm

2[H]4U
I am having a problem with my setup.

I just recently upgraded my 120 gig WDSE drive to a 300 gig Maxtor Diamondmax10 16m cache drive. Ever since going to the new drive, my DVD drive has been crippled (pioneer 16x DL IDE). I have ripped a dvd and it never got above 2.5x. I suspect that the drive was having performance problems WHILE windows XP was installing. During installation, I can hear the drive spinning up, then slowing down.. then spinning up etc while it reads. Does seem to do this as much in windows, but one problem that I noticed, it seems the buffer is funky while writing etc.. I noticed at one point the buffer would fluctuate fast between 15% and 75%.

I have the following confuguration:

SATA 0 = Maxtor drive
SATA 1 = Empty

Pri IDE master = Empty
Pri IDE slave = Empty

Sec IDE master = Empty
Sec IDE slave = Pioneer DVD rw

also it seems on any channel, when I move the cable selection jumper on the DVD drive to anything but slave, the drive basically wont work... It will see disc's, but like wont even transfer files, it acts like its moving data at 50kbps. The jumper of slave, it works fine, but transfer speeds are 2.5x max. Moving a 1 gig file takes 10 mins to transfer to HDD.. I benchmarked the Harddrve, it seems to test very fast.. feels very fast as well.

Please help if you can, I am stumped

BAAHH

I corrected the problem.. if you have an ASUS board, switch to sata hdd, and have optical drive problems after, always consider a bios update :p

Back