problem with folders in NTFS

xhail

Limp Gawd
I have this problem or rather a small annoyance and was wondering if it was normal.

I am running Windows XP and NTFS on a 20gig HDD. If I put about 60 files into one folder (my downloads or something) it starts to take a while for me to access the folder using Windows Explorer. If I click my documents folder on the left hand side of Windows Explorer, and it happens to have 60-100 files in it, it slows down and seems to have trouble accessing and listing the contents of said folder. Sometimes, with enough files, it almost seems to hang/stall and takes about 30 seconds for the files to display.

I check for errors and defrag my harddrive every week. Is this just something that happens with WinXP and NTFS?

Thanks

Edit: I forgot to mention, if I double click the folder on the right side of Windows explorer, there is no delay in listing or accessing files. I just mention this problem because I click the left side by mistake alot and it just annoys me.

I have a similar problem, though it contains over 150,000 files in 400 folders. Even though the root folder only has 10 folders in it it seems as though Windows caches the contents for all it's subfolders as well.

Back