Problem w/ Video Card ... RMA time?

Spidey329

[H]F Junkie
Battled all day with this thing. I just finished building my second rig (see lower part of sig). Had all the parts, but didn't take the time to simply install XP. So, after completing it, everything worked great. I go in, install DX9, install the latest Nvidia drivers. Reboot, and the thing shuts off on the "Windows loading" screen (the black one). Does it again. I boot into Safe Mode and remove DirectX (put it back to the default). Same thing. So I remove the latest Nvidia drivers. It works! I try some other Nvidia drivers and it does the same exact thing. I noticed on the display properties that (with the default drivers) it is in 8bit color mode @ 800x600. If I change that I (literally) get plastered with a hunkload of what looks to be smile faces (wtf? <-- my thought) and a prompt shutdown. So it only works in that one setting (8bit color).

Do I need to enact the warranty? It's been a few months, so I know NewEgg won't take it back.

The card is a Chaintech FX5200 (I needed a simple card, not a powerhouse, as this is my work machine).

Ideas?

Before you go for the RMA, have you tried the Omega nvidia drivers?

it's worth a shot. My friend was getting corrupt display and stuff like that in Windows (really strange) with his 5200. I put in the Omega drivers after installing DX9 and using the Nasty File Remover and it worked!

Links:
www.guru3d.com (For nVidia Nasty File Remover)
www.omegacorner.com (for nVidia omega drivers)

Latest Omegas should be fine.

Newegg usually takes shit back a year old (unless OEM, monitors, certain other items). Sounds weird to me.

Take your 2nd rig to the local church and have it Exorcised... it sounds possessed [shudder] :eek:

Back