Problem installing Mandrake

bloodeagle

Limp Gawd
I have an LG drive in an older computer, and I remember hearing about a problem with Mandrake and LG drive's...when I got to install Mandrake on it, it loads the cd, goes through all the system crap (In DOS), displays the info and stuff, then when it gets the CD Rom, it brings up a window asking how to install or to change the cd or whatever. Then when I click ok(only one option, CD-Rom) it just terminates, and says the shut down the computer. Is the CD-Rom the problem? If it is, is there this same problem with other Linux distros? I personally don't care which I have, I just already had Mandrake burnt onto cd, so should I choose another? suggestions?

Thanks.

the problem with LG drives was due to the fact that lG did not compleatly follow the ata spec on some of their drives. They used a reserved signal for a proprietary firmware flashing instruction, so when mandrake decided to use this signal in 9.2, it could kill the LG drive. This is a reported problem, so although i am not positive, a new update of 9.2 should fix this. Just check on google or something to see if the problem has been fixed, and download a fresh copy of the isos.
Your drive could be dead though you might have to send it to LG for repair. But mandrake is a really good distro dont give up on it yet

If you have a different CD-ROM drive somewhere, you can temporarily use that for the install the n switch back once its all installed.

its a brand new drive, so I dont think its broken...I believe its the 9.1 version, so the problem with the drives is there? I'll check if its been fixed in 9.2. Thanks.

Originally posted by bloodeagle
its a brand new drive, so I dont think its broken...I believe its the 9.1 version, so the problem with the drives is there? I'll check if its been fixed in 9.2. Thanks.
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3
check that - do note it's a problem with the LG drives and NOT linux - a few hacks/work arounds have been written for some of the drives, so there's a possibility it got fixed for you

Back