Probably stupid question but need help- TC-P48C5E

Outlaw85

[H]ard|Gawd
Just got a TC-P48C5E patch panel which is rated cat 5E, I have cat 6 cabling I plan to run. Will there be any real world difference in running the TC-P48C6 rated for cat 6?

Current use case is plex. All running hardware known is running gb nic's. When I transfer from my main pc to the san, I'd like to make sure i'm maxing out the hardware and not something i'm not expecting with this panel.

I'm not sure what other info would be needed. Please ask and I will answer the best I can.

Thanks in advance,
outlaw

Just got a TC-P48C5E patch panel which is rated cat 5E, I have cat 6 cabling I plan to run. Will there be any real world difference in running the TC-P48C6 rated for cat 6?

Current use case is plex. All running hardware known is running gb nic's. When I transfer from my main pc to the san, I'd like to make sure i'm maxing out the hardware and not something i'm not expecting with this panel.

I'm not sure what other info would be needed. Please ask and I will answer the best I can.

Thanks in advance,
outlaw
It's mechanical connection. You'll be fine. Get it done!
http://www.cables-solutions.com/doe...-panel-or-cat5e-on-cat6-patch-panel-work.html

Thanks. I think I had seen that yesterday after posting this. Wasn't a whole lot out there otherwise, probably for the reason you said and for it being a stupid question.

Thanks again,
Outlaw

Thanks. I think I had seen that yesterday after posting this. Wasn't a whole lot out there otherwise, probably for the reason you said and for it being a stupid question.

Thanks again,
Outlaw
All good. I can understand why the question would come up. It also shows you're putting thought into the project rather than just throwing shit together that may or may not work without even checking. Even with low voltage stuff, you could end up melting or burning stuff. Not a bad thought to have in my opinion. Let us know how it turns out. Pics of the project are always welcome :)

Don't worry. You can run your Cat6 cable on Cat5e patch panel and it will work well.

Wrong. You should never mix cabling and patch panels in this way.

Cat5e vs. 6 vs. 6a typically use different wire gauges. Trying to punch down a wire of one category into a panel meant for another could easily lead to a failed install and/or intermittent connectivity.

It's more that it isn't 'certified' for the rating than anything else. I've mixed plenty.

Why mix? Because pulling cable is a crap thing to have to do, buy the best cable you can that's available today, change the panels out later (if it's even necessary). I have cat 6a in my house, with 5e patch panel and wall jacks, do 10gb no problem, even with using 5e patch cables from the wall to the nic.

Back