Prices of Ivy Bridge Desktop CPUs

<CITATION NEEDED>

I just dont see it happening. Even the cheapest AMDs have virtualization, it would be handing AMD a TON of sales.

My guess is he meant VT-d - virtualization for directed I/O, which almost certainly will not be in the K versions of Ivy just as it is not in the K versions of Sandy.

<CITATION NEEDED>

I just dont see it happening. Even the cheapest AMDs have virtualization, it would be handing AMD a TON of sales.

Non-K parts have, and will continue supporting VT-x and VT-d, so they're not losing anything to AMD.....;)

and lack of more cores... :/.. I'm sure it will be faster but, I see no huge need based on current games etc

If gaming is what you are interested in, then why are you concerned with core count? :p

When Ivy bridge - E comes out we will have 6 cores, and possibly 8 if they have gotten power consumption under control enough from the SB-E.

Is there going to b e much of a improvement from sb to ib? I am thinking other then the lower power consumtion there isnt much. Is it worth it to wait for ivy or just buy a 2700K now and be happy?

Thanks..

I'd expect 5~10% performance improvement over SB just from core tweaks, and you do get a better IGP (if you need that)
What I'm mostly interested in is the much lower TDP, with high probability of 5+ GHz overclocks with as much ease as today's SB's reaching 4+GHz.....

The leaked benchmarks on stock parts I have seen thus far all show just over a 5% gain in IPC, with any remaining gains coming from increased turbo speeds (which don't really matter if you plan on overclocking)

I'm cautiously optimistic for 5+Ghz overclocks on these parts, but we will have to wait and see, cause it is - after all - a new type of process with a new type of tri-gate transistor. At this point its tough to tell how good the production process is and if that will allow early parts to hit high overclocks or not.

Non-K parts have, and will continue supporting VT-x and VT-d, so they're not losing anything to AMD.....;)

Even so, I think there are very very very few people - comparatively speaking - who use virtualization, especially VT-d on non server-grade parts.

I occasionally fire up a VM to test a new OS and stuff like that, but I don't think I'd really miss it if it were gone.

Something that occurred to me recently as a couple folks I know informed me in a very enthusiastic manner about their newly purchased 6 core desktop. Of course further investigation and those desktops are AMD, as suspected. This makes me think though about just how many "regular" folk will pass over intel machines when they are looking at retailers, whether online or B&M, and pick an AMD 6 core over an Intel Sandy or Ivy Bridge quad core.

My bro-in-law took it rather personally when I told him he probably did not make the wisest purchase getting that AMD 6 core desktop.

It will be interesting to see if this actual impacts sales to a significant degree over the next year.

Users would gain a much more noticeable performance increase just going to a ssd rather then upgrading their current i7/i5 to ivy bridge. I just don't know how anyone should expect much upward movement, we are like in the end of p4 days but with 4 cores. The only path is more cores again as SBE tries to do, just need lower powered cores.

The only slow crap on my computer is bloated single threaded programs which probably have wait statements in the code.

Something that occurred to me recently as a couple folks I know informed me in a very enthusiastic manner about their newly purchased 6 core desktop. Of course further investigation and those desktops are AMD, as suspected. This makes me think though about just how many "regular" folk will pass over intel machines when they are looking at retailers, whether online or B&M, and pick an AMD 6 core over an Intel Sandy or Ivy Bridge quad core.

My bro-in-law took it rather personally when I told him he probably did not make the wisest purchase getting that AMD 6 core desktop.

It will be interesting to see if this actual impacts sales to a significant degree over the next year.

I want the one with the bigger G B's

If IB can hit 5ghz+ like SB can hit 4.5ghz+ with minimal effort, then I'll get myself a drop in upgrade 3770k. That way I'll be gaining some clock for clock performance, overclock performance, and 4 threads. Overall 15-20% improvement along with HT would sell me. From there I'd probably be on LGA1155 for a few years.

Back