Price Match Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sniper991122

Supreme [H]ardness
So im in need of windows XP since my motherboard gets here in 4 days and I have no copy of XP to install on the hard drive...

CompUSA has windows xp home upgrade for $40 but the closest compusa to my house is about 150 miles from my house... Is it possible to get staples or best buy or some other place here in charleston sc to pricematch with a compusa in (the closest place) Augusta, GA or charlotte, NC? I'd like to be able to do this and then do the Vista upgrade for $10 but I still need to price match... any ideas?

Its possible but if its not in stock they wont do it. At least around here.

You do have a different version of Windows with a key or whatever that you'll be upgrading from of course right? Otherwise the upgrade version won't do you any good. Given your post count I'm pretty sure you're aware of this, but since the statement only mentions the upgrade media and the new hard drive, I figured I'd double check.

This is NOT a HOT deal. Please pay attention next time.

please pay attention to a) the thread title, and then b) my post....
the reason I posted it in here is because one would think asking this question in the hot deals forum would yield the best answers when it comes to a question like price matching... so thanks for participating in the thread, try posting something useful next time...

and I'd consider spending $40 on XP and another $10 ($50 total) for windows XP upgrade as well as vista a fairly hot deal even though the vista deal has already been posted...

and to maniacmous, I've got quite a few windows 98 cds lying around the house and a few of those win98 manuals I've just got to see which s/n works with which variation of the win98 cd (all legal just old as hell)

I guess i'll just have to try various staples and bestbuy stores or wherever will do this deal...

edit - sorry for making your job a little harder KingKaeru, I just figured this would be the most knowleadgable place for my question :)

3. All posts must include the item and price in the title/subject line and a link to the item in the body of the thread

ok, from experience with this situation, I suggest a few things.
1. IF you can buy it from Compussr's website, with minimal shipping cost - that may be the "less headache" way of purchase.
2. IF it is a "web only" deal - forget about any price matching (generally) as most brick & mortar stores do not price match web deals.
3. 150 miles away is NOT a local store - and that will be a problem. If it is not a local store (say within 50 miles) most will not price match.
Ok, if you want to try anyway, I suggest you do not bother with Circuit City, as (from personal experience here in Nashvegas) they are very difficult and are not focused on customer service. Best Buy or Staples would be the places to try. If they do not work, try Office Max or Depot.
(Aside: Went to a Circuit City to get a price match from Best Buy - went into store WITH THE AD from Best Buy - they "checked online" to see if the item was in stock at Best Buy and refused to price match - I advised them that the local Best Buy had the item in stock - had to have Best Buy manager CALL their manager to get the price match. If I didn't have a Circuit City gift card, I would not have purchased there - and won't in the future.)

Worked for me. :) $34+tax.
Circuit City was out of stock, though, so they're shipping it to my house.

This thread complies with the guidelines of this forum:

3. AFTER doing some legwork on your own, if you still aren't satisfied with the prices, come to the forums and start a thread posting a link to the best price you could find on that item, then welcome others to post better deals in your thread if they can find any.

If you will leave the forum moderation to the Moderator, it would be appreciated ;)

mavalpha, how far away was the closest CompUSA from where you live? The closest to me is 150 miles so im assuming yours is a little closer?

I basically want to purchase XP Home (upgrade or not) at the cheapest possible price and the cheapest is compusa for $40 (vs everywhere else online for $80-$100) so I can go with the $10 vista upgrade....

also I should probably add this compusa deal is for IN STORE pickup only, no online options... thus my dilemma

I'm ten miles outside of New York, so everything is near me. CompUSA was sold out, but Circuit City didn't even call to verify that. I literally just brought in a copy of the flier.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/lookLearn.do?cat=-13318&edOid=105471
They may give you a hard time because of the distance.
Q: What do you consider to be a "local store?"

A: "Local store" refers to a competitor’sretail store that is in the same market and/or within a reasonable distance ofour store.
Which city are you close to? This may determine market.

Try Staples.
http://www.staples.com/sbd/content/help/using/general_match.html

hmm thats helpful, thanks.. it looks like circuit city is out of the question...

Im in Charleston south carolina and the closest 2 are Augusta GA, 150 miles and Charlotte NC, 178 miles away... if I had a flyer to take into staples that would probably make a huge difference but I dont know where i'd find a compusa flyer... and Im sure you being ten miles outside of compusa makes a big difference :)

I dont see anything in the staples price match about the location of the store so I may try going there in the next half hour and see if they can do this....

I might even mention that I thoroughly read their price match policy and no where did it say anything about the location of the store

well i spent the last 20 minutes arguing with the people at staples because their policy says nothing about local stores while other places such as circuit city do mention local stores yet they refused =\

guess i'll have to wait for another deal thats local to me.. that or maybe find someone who would buy it and ship it to me

True, but add $30 for the upgrade to Home Premium. You're still looking at $75 or so final price.

True, but add $30 for the upgrade to Home Premium. You're still looking at $75 or so final price.

I would think it would be at least a $60 upgrade via Windows Anytime Upgrade since that's the difference between Basic and Home Premium upgrade versions ($99 vs. $159), unless they use the differnce between the full versions ($199 vs. $239). Anyone hear what the upgrade prices are going to be yet?

Anyway, I bit today. Took in the CUSA ad to Staples and they initially balked saying they had seen it all week and they knew CUSA was OOS. The clerk talked to his manager and they gave it to me anyway. A friend did it earlier in the week with no problems at all. Guess it all depends on the store manager. I've always liked Staples and they seem very customer friendly. CUSA are pricks themselves when it comes to price-matching and I've never successfully done it when the competition is OOS. Given the choice I'll go to Staples over CUSA anyday...

I bought the XP home upgrade from cusa. I followed the directions to Microsoft's web page and got as far as the page for entering your name and address. The only option I saw was for Vista home basic. If I could, I would be happy to pay $60 for home premium.

I've had my quesiton answered and mavalpha is gratious enough to help me out so im going to go ahead and lock this thread to make it easier on the admins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back