Prey for $2.50! Works with Steam!

The game is just awesome, pure joy to play, I could not put it down. But the replay value is just not there I think. Maybe if you wait a year between plays?

Was'nt my find is why.. atleast giving credit where i found out from.
Well, you can give credit and post the direct link ;). That way, you can feel better about yourself, and anyone interested in the deal has one link fewer to jump through.

Well, he could just gift it to anyone interested and save them from clicking anything! ;):D

Shiny, but I am concerned about some people's reviews of this game saying that it is vertigo inducing. I am extremely vulnerable to motion sickness.

Why is Steam always running short on keys for this game?
They're not running short, they ran out completely. There were a limited number of keys, and more aren't being generated. Once the keys that are available now have all been used up, that's it.

Shiny, but I am concerned about some people's reviews of this game saying that it is vertigo inducing. I am extremely vulnerable to motion sickness.

That most likely has to do with gravity can constantly shift, so what's up one second is down or even left or right the next. It's confusing at first, but you get the hang of it.

I've had a lot of games give me that motion sickness effect, but Prey isn't one of them.

awful game. I bought it on steam for 5 bucks a few years ago and I want my five back with interest.

Ditto. I found myself choking back laughter at some of the plot developments and character dialogue. This game is ridiculously corny.

I have to admit: I was disappointed that I kept waiting for "Cherokee Nation" to play, but nope, they never used it...

But, that would have been so, so grand!

"Cherokee People! Cherokee pride! So proud to live! So proud to die!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoRa-S8mckI

Ditto. I found myself choking back laughter at some of the plot developments and character dialogue. This game is ridiculously corny.
Just to offer a differing opinion, I thought the game was pretty good overall. I played it when it first came out and at the time it looked fantastic. The game is very linear and not overly difficult, and only a few of the puzzles are a challenge. Overall its a solid 7/10 IMO. I thought it was worth the $30 or so I paid at the time, and for $2.50 I think most FPS fans will find it worthwhile.

The game is just bad in terms of artwork and story.

Its an awesome graphics & gameplay engine which is exactly what it felt like, a game to demo an graphics engine. If that was the intent, they succeeded. But at times I found the artwork painful on the eyes. At times it was like the visual equivalent of nails on a chalkboard.

If it wasn't for that, I could have taken the game for what it was.

Just to offer a differing opinion, I thought the game was pretty good overall. I played it when it first came out and at the time it looked fantastic. The game is very linear and not overly difficult, and only a few of the puzzles are a challenge. Overall its a solid 7/10 IMO. I thought it was worth the $30 or so I paid at the time, and for $2.50 I think most FPS fans will find it worthwhile.

I second this opinion.

Deathmatch is enjoyable too, and considering 4 friends can spend $10 on at least an afternoon of entertainment it's a good price. I spent a lot more than that on my last movie ticket.

Odd that some of you didn't like it, but i suppose its better to have opinions differ than all of us be the same.

The game does have a lot of angle and gravity shifting, its very unique in that way, I can see where it could induce vertigo in some.. but its not extreme and not for very prolonged periods.

Its not overly hard in any sense and the story line is worth maybe 1 play-through per year, but I felt it was worth it and I liked the story & uniqueness.

I almost forgot about this game. Got it when it was released and thought it was very well put together and executed.

Is it worth going through again years later?

are any of the other games on sale there able to be activated on steam? looks like some decent deals.

i don't understand why is it such a big deal for some that so and so game works on Steam? i have plenty of games on Steam due to sales but if i had my choice, i'd much rather not have to run them through a DRM app like Steam. It's like Steam has created a whole new customer, the "Steam game collector." There's people on the Steam forums that will only buy games through Steam; i just don't understand it.

i don't understand why is it such a big deal for some that so and so game works on Steam? i have plenty of games on Steam due to sales but if i had my choice, i'd much rather not have to run them through a DRM app like Steam. It's like Steam has created a whole new customer, the "Steam game collector." There's people on the Steam forums that will only buy games through Steam; i just don't understand it.

I think it's the ease of Steam, but I find D2D along with using Gamespy's Comrade app almost identical to Steam, since Comrade will keep track of your games, download the games, download the patches, is a chat client, etc.

And of course no, Comrade is in no way an additional layer of DRM, unlike Steam. You can choose to run it, or to never even install it at all.

It's probably because those are the people who have never had a problem with Steam. It's called brand loyalty. Just like some people will only buy Corsair ram, and some people will only drive a Ford. They have developed a kind of relationship with Steam, which makes them dedicated to it. Plus, it's nice to have all your games in one place, never have to worry about CDs, never have to worry about updates, can install on as many different computers as you like (though some games will limit this through additional DRM), consolidate all your gaming friends to one list, and you get pretty pictures in grid view lol.

Basically, it's the same as with any product or service. If people have a sustained positive experience (especially when compared to the competition), they tend to be loyal to that product or service. They become invested in it. Rocket science, it is not.

Personally, I have bought digital download games from Steam, EA Store, Impulse, D2D, Gamers Gate and even Amazon. Basically, where ever the game I want is on sale. That said, if Steam has the game for the same price, I'm gonna buy it on Steam. Not that I've had any truly bad experiences with any of those other DD services (some are worse than others, D2D I'm looking at you!), but my Steam experience has been at least marginally better for a much longer period of time. And as such, I have become used to Steam. So until some other service comes along that can blow Steam out of the water (or at least improve upon it enough to prompt me to leave my familiar grounds), Steam will continue to be my preferred gaming service/manager. "Just as good" won't cut it at this point.

Hope that helps you understand it a little better.

It's hard to explain in some regards I suppose but take my case for example. After passing up on consoles (last "real console" I owned was a PS2; I do own a Wii but I don't really play it and more or less got it for Virtual Console games and to "try it out") and moving solely to PC gaming, I was thrilled. But as time went on, seeing all the regurgitation, I was more hesitant to spend my dollars on PC games. More over that, the install process became annoying and tedious.

Stream provides people like me with an option. It's easy to use, non-intrusive in my point of view and allows me to have my catalog organize; at beck and call. And I am buying more PC games than before. Having said that, Steam is sort of a "right place, right time" thing and I prefer to have my games on it.

It's probably because those are the people who have never had a problem with Steam. It's called brand loyalty. Just like some people will only buy Corsair ram, and some people will only drive a Ford. They have developed a kind of relationship with Steam, which makes them dedicated to it. Plus, it's nice to have all your games in one place, never have to worry about CDs, never have to worry about updates, can install on as many different computers as you like (though some games will limit this through additional DRM), consolidate all your gaming friends to one list, and you get pretty pictures in grid view lol.

Basically, it's the same as with any product or service. If people have a sustained positive experience (especially when compared to the competition), they tend to be loyal to that product or service. They become invested in it. Rocket science, it is not.

Personally, I have bought digital download games from Steam, EA Store, Impulse, D2D, Gamers Gate and even Amazon. Basically, where ever the game I want is on sale. That said, if Steam has the game for the same price, I'm gonna buy it on Steam. Not that I've had any truly bad experiences with any of those other DD services (some are worse than others, D2D I'm looking at you!), but my Steam experience has been at least marginally better for a much longer period of time. And as such, I have become used to Steam. So until some other service comes along that can blow Steam out of the water (or at least improve upon it enough to prompt me to leave my familiar grounds), Steam will continue to be my preferred gaming service/manager. "Just as good" won't cut it at this point.

Hope that helps you understand it a little better.

Steam is 'not' a brand, it's a resident DRM client that you have to have running in the background every time you want to play a game. Sure, Steam has other possibly useful features built into its client but if you just want to play a game and nothing else it's annoying that you have to open up Steam everytime you want to play. I've bought games through D2D, Impulse, Gamersgate, and Amazon...and 'none' of them require a client running in the background if you want to play - you simply activate your game with a code and that's it. But when you say you'll remain loyal to Steam until someone else "blows them out of the water"...in what way are you talking about? to me, blowing Steam out of the water means not having to run something in the background if i want to play a game to which, as i just said,...D2D, Impulse, Gamersgate, and Amazon already does.

...as far as you liking Steam because it keeps all your games in one place...that's because due to its resident DRM management nature, Steam has segmented your installed games into two camps: those that require Steam running and those that don't. Even still, Steam already allows users to 'add' games to it's client but that still isn't enough for some people - they feel like they simply 'must' purchase it through Steam before they are happy. Whether that's because games purchased through Steam has cool little game GIFs of your installed games i can't really say.

Last edited:
Steam is 'not' a brand, it's a resident DRM client that you have to have running in the background every time you want to play a game. /snip/

Most games purchased through Steam DO NOT require you to have Steam running in order to play them. The only ones who do are Valve games, and a few games that went a bit overboard with the Steamworks DRM. See for yourself. Goto Program Files>Steam>Steam Apps>Common. Pick out a couple games and try and launch them using the exe (without Steam running). Chances are, most will launch without a problem. You could very easily create desktop shortcuts or quicklaunch icons and completely circumvent Steam in most cases, making those games just like any other game you have installed if you so desired. This idea that Steam HAS to be running in order to play games is a misconception. For most games, it's just a manager, not DRM.

Steam (and by extension, Steampowered.com) is very much a brand (in the same sense that Walmart or Netflix is a brand). It has a reputation. It offers products and services and as such, it instills brand loyalty. And since many people have had a more positive experience with Steam than other DD services (and have experience with Steam over a longer period of time), they have developed an affinity toward it.

Also, the examples I listed above were just general examples (and the last one was a joke...). They weren't necessarily my reasons for using Steam. My reasons are simply ease of use and familiarity. But like I said, even if some other service is just as easy to use and has just as few problems as Steam does, it's still not going to pull me away. The reason being that I am familiar with Steam, and most of my games are with Steam. In other words, I am invested. It has to offer me something superior... and as I explained above, being able to launch games without Steam running isn't that something. At this point, I honestly can't think of what that something would be, other than possibly much lower prices.

As for why people 'must' purchase through Steam, if the reasons I already posted aren't enough for you, then consider this. When someone reformats their OS or builds an entirely new PC, they are going to want to re-install their games. By having them all purchased through Steam, all they have to do is launch the Steam App and then re-download their games. As soon as it's done downloading, it's installed. No fuss, no muss. No launching other programs, no logging into other accounts, no going to websites. Just Steam. Of course, you could always back up your games, but that's besides the point. In this instance, the purpose of Steam is that everything is right there. No extra work is necessary. It's simply convenient.

^^But that is a reason for others. As I've already stated, I use whatever DD service gives me the best price. I simply PREFER Steam if I can get a game for the same $$. If it's more expensive, I go elsewhere (or wait for the inevitable sale). However, if you just don't like Steam, then you just don't like Steam... and no matter how much I try to explain to you why others do, it's still most likely just not going to make sense. I tried, but it's probably just best to leave it at that. You hate it, I like it, others love it. And we all have our reasons for feeling that way. The end :D

I found Prey to be a good game and it's a no brainer for $5 or even less with this deal. If you are on the fence don't be. Jump on this deal.

I purchased the game for 2.50 through GamersGate and received the key code.Now the problem i have is during installation the game took the keycode,but to play the game it ask for the gamers key code located in game package.Well--WTH .Because the keycode i have does not work there.

This blows ,but knowledge is power--how about some knowledge here

Well, aparently Gamersgate ran out of keys too, I bought it, they took the $2.50 and then when I went to install it I get "Unfortunatly We are out of keys..." messege, what a bummer and horseshit, at least steam tells you they don't have any before charging you....

Well, aparently Gamersgate ran out of keys too, I bought it, they took the $2.50 and then when I went to install it I get "Unfortunatly We are out of keys..." messege, what a bummer and horseshit, at least steam tells you they don't have any before charging you....

That sucks. Thanks for alerting us though.

I am a Steam Brand Loyal Customer. I love the fact of the Sale & all my games are in one spot. Steam has never given me any problems at all been perfect for along time.

Now I will admit over this Sale I did buy games at EA & Amazon so I gotta use a downloader for both sites. I still prefer to use steam no matter what

Back