Pressure grows on Apple to open up iMessage

It's funny because you still think like Apple users are the Borg with this whole US thing. Is resistance futile? Will I be assimilated into Apple? Making fun aside, the key difference is that you don't want others to have a choice. It's like your freedom is to take other peoples freedoms away. The EU though, seems to have a different opinion on the whole matter. Just a matter of time before the EU's Digital Markets Act will force them to play ball.

"The DMA — one of several new EU laws designed to restrict the power of tech companies and help create a level playing field — creates a host of new obligations for large tech companies. Messaging services like iMessage are required to offer other companies some level of interoperability if they’re deemed to be big and important enough. "

Does this mean Android users will continue to get the green color? I myself wouldn't mind being red.
No but it would likely mean that iMessage and Android messaging are going to be allowed to operate within the WhatsApp network which is what the DMA is actually targeting. WhatsApp makes up 70% of all the messaging services across the EU that’s the gatekeeper they are after.
Notice iMessage isn’t actually listed in the list of Designations they are investigating.

1697441885953.png

It's funny because you still think like Apple users are the Borg with this whole US thing. Is resistance futile? Will I be assimilated into Apple? Making fun aside, the key difference is that you don't want others to have a choice. It's like your freedom is to take other peoples freedoms away. The EU though, seems to have a different opinion on the whole matter. Just a matter of time before the EU's Digital Markets Act will force them to play ball.

"The DMA — one of several new EU laws designed to restrict the power of tech companies and help create a level playing field — creates a host of new obligations for large tech companies. Messaging services like iMessage are required to offer other companies some level of interoperability if they’re deemed to be big and important enough. "

Does this mean Android users will continue to get the green color? I myself wouldn't mind being red.

You're the one trying to remove people's choices lol

It's all in this thread for people to see you act like people can't read your own words you typed and you can't even remember them yourself lol

It sounds like you need to buy an iPhone.
apple borg.jpg

You're the one trying to remove people's choices lol
The ability isolate people through their phones purchased is not a choice nor is it freedom.. lol
It's all in this thread for people to see you act like people can't read your own words you typed and you can't even remember them yourself lol
Remember those words when the EU again forces Apple to either open up iMessage or adopt RCS. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Apple does it before the EU forces them again. Seems to be a common theme with Apple.
  1. EU forces Apple to use USB-C? ✔
  2. EU forces Apple to allow side loading?
  3. EU will force Apple to have removable batteries.
  4. EU forcing Apple to open up iMessage? To be concluded.
The stupid thing is that when Apple does open up iMessage, they will claim they decided and not forced to do so through the EU.

Reactions: kac77
like this
View attachment 606801

The ability isolate people through their phones purchased is not a choice nor is it freedom.. lol

Remember those words when the EU again forces Apple to either open up iMessage or adopt RCS. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Apple does it before the EU forces them again. Seems to be a common theme with Apple.
The stupid thing is that when Apple does open up iMessage, they will claim they decided and not forced to do so through the EU.
Let us know when you pick up an iPhone.

Who's being isolated? iPhone to SMS works and means no isolation.

Who's being isolated?
He's isolating himself with his ridiculous ideas.

Who's being isolated? iPhone/iMessage to SMS works and means no isolation.
It works by blurring media. Which is a pain when you're trying to do business with someone and will have to resort to other methods of communication. This will often turn into an Android is inferior situation, when it's actually just Apple isolating their users from Android users.
Who's being isolated?

Do you drink paint daily?
Let us know when you pick up an iPhone.

He's isolating himself with his ridiculous ideas.
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” --Socrates

It works by blurring media. Which is a pain when you're trying to do business with someone and will have to resort to other methods of communication. This will often turn into an Android is inferior situation, when it's actually just Apple isolating their users from Android users.

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” --Socrates

Inferior still means communication is possible.

Who's being isolated as you claimed Socrates? Isolated while communication still possible? So isolated how?

Or will Plato change the plot again instead?

Really does sound like your problem here is your 🤏 inferiority complex

What I find funny is not what happens if Apple "opens up" iMessage.
If Apple were to open iMessage it would not force them to add RCS support, it would allow others to add iMessage support to their apps and force Apple to accept iMessages from apps that are not iMessage, but it would in no way force Apple to accept those messages over RCS.

View attachment 606801

I don't understand why you care?

Snapchat. Signal. Telegram. Whatsapp. Facebook messenger. Email. Standard SMS. Lots and lots of options - I even have group chats with SMS users and it works fine.

There are literally dozens of communication apps out there. Many even based on phone number. I don't get the need for ~another~ random standard out there - any device will run any of those (and half run on a PC of your choice too).

Inferior still means communication is possible.

Who's being isolated as you claimed Socrates? Isolated while communication still possible? So isolated how?

Or will Plato change the plot again instead?

Really does sound like your problem here is your 🤏 inferiority complex
If an Android user communicates with an Android users, no problems. When an iPhone user communicates with an iPhone user, no problems. It's only a problem when you send media to and from Android to iPhone and vice versa. Android software wouldn't have a problem adopting Apple's iMessage, but Apple does. Apple also has a problem adopting RCS. This is Apple's fault.
I don't understand why you care?

Snapchat. Signal. Telegram. Whatsapp. Facebook messenger. Email. Standard SMS. Lots and lots of options - I even have group chats with SMS users and it works fine.

There are literally dozens of communication apps out there. Many even based on phone number. I don't get the need for ~another~ random standard out there - any device will run any of those (and half run on a PC of your choice too).
Standard SMS is the problem, not the solution. Email has limitations in how big of a file you can send. When I send a video clip with SMS to an iPhone user, it's blurred and unwatchable. Other chatting software does work, but how many people want to take the time to install an app and set it up just to send a quick video and photo? Especially when said person is illiterate when it comes to using their phone? What should take a second, could take 5-10 minutes depending on the persons understanding of their device. Given the person wants to install and setup another communication app, because they may not. It would be easier if Apple were to open up iMessage, or adopt RCS, or preferable both. No reason not to other than Apple wants to continue their walled garden.

If an Android user communicates with an Android users, no problems. When an iPhone user communicates with an iPhone user, no problems. It's only a problem when you send media to and from Android to iPhone and vice versa. Android software wouldn't have a problem adopting Apple's iMessage, but Apple does. Apple also has a problem adopting RCS. This is Apple's fault.

You can send SMS between iMessage and Android, problem solved hooray! Android doesn't need iMessage support and iMessage doesn't need RCS support - we have and will continue to have SMS between the two

No isolation at all in any way there Socrates 👍

And you could just send them an email with photos, or send them a link over SMS to DL photos/videos directly from Google photos, or iCloud that you (auto)uploaded, etc 👍

Last edited:
Sister is on android (green bubble b*tch!) and we text fine, im on apple. Last photo she sent was 1920x2560 890KB filesize and quality seems fine.

That's because none of this is a problem in the real world for 99% of people - it's only a problem for those who feel inadequate and those who get made fun of for green texts - get over it, and yourself if you feel inadequate is the answer there, and (re)evaluate who you associate with if getting made fun of is the answer there

That's because none of this is a problem in the real world for 99% of people - it's only a problem for those who feel inadequate and those who get made fun of for green texts - get over it, and yourself if you feel inadequate is the answer there, and (re)evaluate who you associate with if getting made fun of is the answer there
And looks like video file size is still a limit to 105MB on rcs, which yes is better than sms (600KB-3.5MB) and MMS (1.2 - 3MB) but also i dont think this is really in the way of progressing in the world. Everything is still going to be compressed for high quality stuff.

My biggest problem with EU forcing interoperability is the possibility of getting spammed by whatsapp, telegram type scammers and spammers. Also don't really care about RCS, SMS works fine for those without iMessage for me.
Which is why they want Apple to open things up so they can do that, it's advertising companies funding this little EU excursion into gatekeepers, I mean look at the things they are investigating, they are all advertising platforms or payment gateways.

And looks like video file size is still a limit to 105MB on rcs, which yes is better than sms (600KB-3.5MB) and MMS (1.2 - 3MB) but also i dont think this is really in the way of progressing in the world. Everything is still going to be compressed for high quality stuff.
iMessage has the same limitation, but I think it also limits video length of 4:15. With 105MB limitation, I could send an episode of Rick and Morty.

iMessage has the same limitation, but I think it also limits video length of 4:15. With 105MB limitation, I could send an episode of Rick and Morty.
And Telegram lets you send 2 GB files (WhatsApp as well, after Telegram goaded them), which I use with friends and family on both iOS and Android. However, if something is larger than 5 MB, you can send up to 50 GB using iCloud link. The only limitation in communication there is between devices is stubbornness and stupidity. You can communicate with anyone on Android or iPhone. If you need to send larger files, neither iMessage nor RCS will suffice.

And Telegram lets you send 2 GB files (WhatsApp as well, after Telegram goaded them), which I use with friends and family on both iOS and Android. However, if something is larger than 5 MB, you can send up to 50 GB using iCloud link. The only limitation in communication there is between devices is stubbornness and stupidity. You can communicate with anyone on Android or iPhone. If you need to send larger files, neither iMessage nor RCS will suffice.
Like people that come to me wondering why they can't email this 1.2GB file...
Upload it to SharePoint, right-click, generate a link, and copy and paste that to the email.
WTF do you think will happen if you try to actually mail that file, NO I am not increasing your limits, and even if I did the recipient's system is going to say FU no and not even try to receive it.

Sometimes it seems that the EU at least does some small amount of benefit for users when it comes to things like openness and privacy, that even getting the most milquetoast restrictions on megacorps leads to whining and gnashing of teeth. The GDPR was nowhere near the totality of privacy legislation we actually need, but it was absolutely a step in the right direction. SMS as a fallback is massively showing its age in a multitude of ways from security to content and it isn't a sustainable solution for a number of reasons. RCS is a small step forward IF it was ubiquitious and interoperable but it lacks end to end encryption (yes, it can be stapled on depending on the app, such as when Google added it after much criticism for their messenger app. LastI heard, they even REMOVED E2EE because it would get in the way of their data mining for the next big hot button, AI, so we can't have that now can we?) and is focusd more as a service provider than a user standard and has varied use experiences for this reason. Google hasn't even open sourced their Android implementation of RCS (used for their Messenger/Messages, I can't remember) so others can't make use of it interoperably in their own applications.. Really though, we need less walled gardens, less proprietary standards that can be neatly swept up for monetization or surveillance, and less confusing experiences for users.

It may be easy to laugh at the "blue bubble vs green bubble" behavior and it is deserving of scorn, but so to is the company that builds the specifically to invoke a needless elitism as a marketing gambit. Any of us who have spent time trying to get family, friends, significant others, and the like to utilize a given messenging service knows that interoperability and usability are major features. I've been a great advocate of Signal as a drop-in replacement for proprietary mobile-focused messengers from iMessage to WhatsApp to LINE / Kakao, or Telegram etc...but I vehemently objected when they stopped their support of SMS/MMS as a fallback (though granted, this was grealty because of the soon arriving aforementioned Google/Android Messages RCS not offering an open source reference implementation they could use, meaning that for many Android users thanks to Google "standard" SMS/MMS was going away in favor of their take on RCS.). While I understand their argument and from one perspective understand, I also know that the large amount of less technical users that I had gotten to use Signal, happily accepting default SMS/MMS messages from random people or for 2FA while enjoying the enhanced Signal features when connecting with me or other Signal users, would likely stop using the application as it would only be useful with other Signal users without the fallback ubiquity.

A lot of arguing about "oh people should JUST use <my preferred solution>" or "There are many hoops to jump through, different platforms to use given a certain circumstance - JUST use A if 1, B when you talk to 2, C if you want to do 3 and those morons who insist on 4 I guess you'll need D" , falls short both in terms of practicality - users are both willing to put up with more than ever in some regards when they have been habituated to it by billion dollar companies, but outside of that their patience seems to grow shorter and leads to them not engaging at alll- and perhaps more importantly failing to realize these workaroundsa and hoops to jump through are there because of a problem that was created in the first place. Its not some sort of immutable law of nature that we are in this situation, but rather there are huge corporate entities (and those who want to be the next one or pull others off the ladder) who profit from these behaviors. Interoperability, openness of standards, privacy and security, user focus etc... are threats to their stock prices, their data mining, their next great "AI" gold rush etc. We still don't have the kind of privacy laws we should have had by 2000, much less anything made for the social media era, all because of this continued profiteering and exploitation.

This is not a situation "the market" will fix and the sooner we realize that so long as those continue to operate this way, it will take structures outside - governments and the hated "regulations" - to enforce changes that may better the lives of billions of people but do nothing to push ever-rising corporate profits on the quarterly reports or, perish the thought, could even threaten them.

Last edited:
Like people that come to me wondering why they can't email this 1.2GB file...
Upload it to SharePoint, right-click, generate a link, and copy and paste that to the email.
WTF do you think will happen if you try to actually mail that file, NO I am not increasing your limits, and even if I did the recipient's system is going to say FU no and not even try to receive it.
Best Exchange server crash I ever saw was where Single Instance Storage was not enabled (ooold Exchange) and some C-level knucklehead attached a some stupidly large PowerPoint file and sent it to everyone. Near instantly destroyed the storage on that box. C-levels had previously complained about attachment limits so much the admin at the time just said "screw this, I'm setting all the limits to unlimited."

Welp.

On the topic at hand, I am opposed to RCS because it's got advertising crap built in with the same ass-backwards language as Google's 'Privacy Sandbox' wherein privacy does not actually exist.

Best Exchange server crash I ever saw was where Single Instance Storage was not enabled (ooold Exchange) and some C-level knucklehead attached a some stupidly large PowerPoint file and sent it to everyone. Near instantly destroyed the storage on that box. C-levels had previously complained about attachment limits so much the admin at the time just said "screw this, I'm setting all the limits to unlimited."

Welp.

On the topic at hand, I am opposed to RCS because it's got advertising crap built in with the same ass-backwards language as Google's 'Privacy Sandbox' wherein privacy does not actually exist.
Exactly! I like RCS as a naked standard to replace SMS, but not if they are going to push it as a packaged deal with RBM "Business Messaging" (AKA Advertising spam), but as RBM is built into the RCS Universal Standard it can't be separated with the current implementation of RCS so that is a no go for me as well.

Sometimes it seems that the EU at least does some small amount of benefit for users when it comes to things like openness and privacy, that even getting the most milquetoast restrictions on megacorps leads to whining and gnashing of teeth. The GDPR was nowhere near the totality of privacy legislation we actually need, but it was absolutely a step in the right direction. SMS as a fallback is massively showing its age in a multitude of ways from security to content and it isn't a sustainable solution for a number of reasons. RCS is a small step forward IF it was ubiquitious and interoperable but it lacks end to end encryption (yes, it can be stapled on depending on the app, such as when Google added it after much criticism for their messenger app. LastI heard, they even REMOVED E2EE because it would get in the way of their data mining for the next big hot button, AI, so we can't have that now can we?) and is focusd more as a service provider than a user standard and has varied use experiences for this reason. Google hasn't even open sourced their Android implementation of RCS (used for their Messenger/Messages, I can't remember) so others can't make use of it interoperably in their own applications.. Really though, we need less walled gardens, less proprietary standards that can be neatly swept up for monetization or surveillance, and less confusing experiences for users.

It may be easy to laugh at the "blue bubble vs green bubble" behavior and it is deserving of scorn, but so to is the company that builds the specifically to invoke a needless elitism as a marketing gambit. Any of us who have spent time trying to get family, friends, significant others, and the like to utilize a given messenging service knows that interoperability and usability are major features. I've been a great advocate of Signal as a drop-in replacement for proprietary mobile-focused messengers from iMessage to WhatsApp to LINE / Kakao, or Telegram etc...but I vehemently objected when they stopped their support of SMS/MMS as a fallback (though granted, this was grealty because of the soon arriving aforementioned Google/Android Messages RCS not offering an open source reference implementation they could use, meaning that for many Android users thanks to Google "standard" SMS/MMS was going away in favor of their take on RCS.). While I understand their argument and from one perspective understand, I also know that the large amount of less technical users that I had gotten to use Signal, happily accepting default SMS/MMS messages from random people or for 2FA while enjoying the enhanced Signal features when connecting with me or other Signal users, would likely stop using the application as it would only be useful with other Signal users without the fallback ubiquity.

A lot of arguing about "oh people should JUST use <my preferred solution>" or "There are many hoops to jump through, different platforms to use given a certain circumstance - JUST use A if 1, B when you talk to 2, C if you want to do 3 and those morons who insist on 4 I guess you'll need D" , falls short both in terms of practicality - users are both willing to put up with more than ever in some regards when they have been habituated to it by billion dollar companies, but outside of that their patience seems to grow shorter and leads to them not engaging at alll- and perhaps more importantly failing to realize these workaroundsa and hoops to jump through are there because of a problem that was created in the first place. Its not some sort of immutable law of nature that we are in this situation, but rather there are huge corporate entities (and those who want to be the next one or pull others off the ladder) who profit from these behaviors. Interoperability, openness of standards, privacy and security, user focus etc... are threats to their stock prices, their data mining, their next great "AI" gold rush etc. We still don't have the kind of privacy laws we should have had by 2000, much less anything made for the social media era, all because of this continued profiteering and exploitation.

This is not a situation "the market" will fix and the sooner we realize that so long as those continue to operate this way, it will take structures outside - governments and the hated "regulations" - to enforce changes that may better the lives of billions of people but do nothing to push ever-rising corporate profits on the quarterly reports or, perish the thought, could even threaten them.
RCS as a protocol only supports end-to-end encryption between devices addressed with an E.164 format, so [+][countrycode][areacode and phone number] such as +14155552671 or +442071838750.
But if you have a device configured to receive those RCS messages such as a tablet, PC, or digital watch that does not have an E.164 formatted address, then you can no longer use end-to-end encryption because delivery to those devices breaks the chain.
That's where Google came up with the solution of using a centralized Jibe server that matches the E.164 address to an email address on an account that has that E.164 phone number registered which is similar to how Apple does it but Apple does some different encryption things so they can't directly access it without first going through the users account, but Apple stores them for backup and legacy reasons, (you setup a new device and it will get your message history). Google parses the messages for keywords but deletes them within 24 hours so they don't have a record of them for later use, but they do go through them, but the sender creates a secure connection to the Jibe server, the Jibe server creates a secure connection to the recipient.

If an Android user communicates with an Android users, no problems. When an iPhone user communicates with an iPhone user, no problems. It's only a problem when you send media to and from Android to iPhone and vice versa.
Snapchat. Signal. Whatsapp. Email. Shared email links. Telegram. And so on - in fact, those have far more control and features than imessage, RCS, or SMS. Again - this isn't an issue.
Android software wouldn't have a problem adopting Apple's iMessage, but Apple does. Apple also has a problem adopting RCS. This is Apple's fault.
Because they don't care. And the reality, most people don't either. I communicate fine with Android people.
Standard SMS is the problem, not the solution. Email has limitations in how big of a file you can send.
Onedrive. Dropbox. Imgur. Youtube. Google drive. Shared web link. Bajillion options there too.
When I send a video clip with SMS to an iPhone user, it's blurred and unwatchable.
Use one of the other options? You're proposing Apple be forced to adopt yet another standard, when you yourself aren't willing to adopt any of the available standards that would solve your problem. Even the EU doesn't really care about this.
Other chatting software does work, but how many people want to take the time to install an app and set it up just to send a quick video and photo? Especially when said person is illiterate when it comes to using their phone? What should take a second, could take 5-10 minutes depending on the persons understanding of their device. Given the person wants to install and setup another communication app, because they may not. It would be easier if Apple were to open up iMessage, or adopt RCS, or preferable both. No reason not to other than Apple wants to continue their walled garden.
If they can figure out the phone enough to figure out how to send a text message, they can install telegram, which generally looks just like the text applications, uses phone numbers, is actually encrypted by someone I'd trust a lot more than Google or the telecom companies, and can handle media just fine. It's also a one time investment in time to solve this issue. It's far more capable than any of the above standards.

This is literally a perfect comment from you I couldn't even make a better joke one myself 😙🤌

View attachment 607105
tadc-why-are-you-like-this.gif

So what you are saying is that the quality of what you send isnt important to you.
I guarantee you that an episode of Rick and Morty with 105MB file size at 720P would look great. This is what happens when you send a video file through SMS to an iPhone user.
iphone-android-blurry2-100794993-large.jpg

Snapchat. Signal. Whatsapp. Email. Shared email links. Telegram. And so on - in fact, those have far more control and features than imessage, RCS, or SMS. Again - this isn't an issue.
Again, because I already said this, how long does it take to setup an account with any of these services? Also email has limitations in how big of a file size you can send. One of the reasons people use iPhones is because they just work, which also means most iPhone users couldn't be bothered to go the extra steps needed to send and receive video files. I assume this is also the case for Android. Defaults matter when the people you deal with can count to potato.
Because they don't care. And the reality, most people don't either. I communicate fine with Android people.
Apple cares, about their bottom line.
Onedrive. Dropbox. Imgur. Youtube. Google drive. Shared web link. Bajillion options there too.
Hey grandma, I'm gonna need you to setup a Onedrive so I can send you a video. No grandma, I said Onedrive not go drive. I'll just send you a link from Imgur, just give me 5 minutes, 10 minutes tops. This what you want me to deal with?
say_ampquotGermanampquot_in_America-s400x297-59009.jpg

Use one of the other options? You're proposing Apple be forced to adopt yet another standard, when you yourself aren't willing to adopt any of the available standards that would solve your problem.
You're missing the point of this thread which is to get Apple to open up iMessage. If Apple can't even adopt RCS then open up iMessage. You have iTunes for Windows so why not iMessage for Android?
Even the EU doesn't really care about this.
Dude we've talked about this like a page or two ago. The EU made a law the pretty much targets Apple, Google, and Amazon. The only reason iMessage gets a pass for now is because not many Europeans are using Apple products compared to Americans. Europe's Android use is closer to 70% while in America it's closer to 50%. For now, Apple gets a pass.
https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/09/06/apples-imessage-gets-a-reprieve-from-eu-law

You're missing the point of this thread which is to get Apple to open up iMessage. If Apple can't even adopt RCS then open up iMessage.

And you’re missing the point the Borg aren’t good people so you should stop trying to Borg everyone and everything

are videos sent to or from grandma through a messaging app really of high importance to anyone?

Google parses the messages for keywords but deletes them within 24 hours so they don't have a record of them for later use, but they do go through them, but the sender creates a secure connection to the Jibe server, the Jibe server creates a secure connection to the recipient.
"Trust us, we delete your messages within 24hrs, until we quietly change the ToS to reflect our prime directive: data equals money."

Actually I'm baffled why they'd even try bothering to qualify that they'd delete anything. For anyone that's paid attention to how brazen data selling has become in the Telecom space (cell carriers) for example, any financial incentive in an oversight vacuum means the grossest possible scenario is already happening. It used to be that they'd act the slightest bit embarrassed, like "no we wouldn't do that", but at some point it shifted to "we'd lose too much money not selling customer data, and besides everyone else in the space is doing it too, and besides you can't sue us all because we're too big collectively."

Last edited:
"Trust us, we delete your messages within 24hrs, until we quietly change the ToS to reflect our prime directive: data equals money."

Actually I'm baffled why they'd even try bothering to qualify that they'd delete anything. For anyone that's paid attention to how brazen data selling has become in Big Telecom for example, any financial incentive in an oversight vacuum means the grossest possible scenario is already happening.
It’s more a liability thing in the event there is a data breech. Google doesn’t want to be responsible for leaking all those nudes and dick pics.

Dude we've talked about this like a page or two ago. The EU made a law the pretty much targets Apple, Google, and Amazon. The only reason iMessage gets a pass for now is because not many Europeans are using Apple products compared to Americans. Europe's Android use is closer to 70% while in America it's closer to 50%. For now, Apple gets a pass.
None of them are using Google Messages or Samsung messages either, it’s all What’s App, and Facebook Messanger, which is why those two are then my two actually named in the documents.

The borg don't force freedom onto people. Take a look at the mirror dude.
View attachment 608059

You’re not advocating for freedom, you’re advocating for people and things to only do as you say and see fit, under the guise of freedom and ‘open source’

You sell lies and subjugation under your own ideals

Stop being a fanatical Borg

Back