Prescott or not to Prescott.

Because most people "commenting" are talking out of their ass. The Northwood has a 28 stage pipeline under the math used by the people claiming the Prescott has a 32 stage pipeline.

Originally posted by USMC2Hard4U
So why does everysite say Prescott has a 32 stage pipeline?
Northwood has 20...

I may be a fucking jar head, but I know that the difference between 20 and 30 is 12

He's right jar head, the Northwood really was increased to 28 stage, but when Intel put out the northwood, they didn't want to scare everyone off by saying it was a true 28 stage pipeline, so they left out the 8 stages for decoding instructions.

Originally posted by Bar81

1. PROCESSOR:
Prescott 2.8/3.0G (unclear right now) approx $175
Athlon64 3000+ approx $225

2. MOBO
SiS 655TX mobo (Prescott ready and outperforms 875 chipset) approx $115 Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe

NForce III/VIA K8T800 mobo approx $200 Asus SK8N/SK8V (although may soon drop to around $150 Asus K8V Deluxe)

Negative for both - must be upgraded soon - LGA-775 for Prescott and Socket 939 for Athlon

3. RAM
Kingston PC3200 512MB approx $75
Mushkin PC3200 512MB registered approx $115

4. TOTAL:
Prescott: $365
Athlon64: $540

It's not even close...
LoL of course it's not even close when you choose best components for AMD and cost effective components for PIV change that mobo for IC-7 Max 3 and the cost of mobo is equall for both. Oh and why registed memory? AFAIK it's required only in socket 940 mobo's for FX/Opterons:D Now the diffrence in price is 50$.

How is the top performing P4 motherboard a cost-effective solution? It happens to be cheap yes, but it is still the best (SiS 655TX chipset). So, essentially, you want me to use a MORE expensive, POORER performing motherboard to even the price differential :rolleyes:

OOPS, made a *little* booboo on the AMD side :D So, by next week the 754 socket Asus K8V deluxe should be out and as you said it uses unregistered DIMMS so here's the comparison fixed:

1. PROCESSOR:
Prescott 2.8/3.0G (unclear right now) approx $175
Athlon64 3000+ approx $225

2. MOBO
SiS 655TX mobo (Prescott ready and outperforms 875 chipset) approx $115 Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe

VIA K8T800 Socket 754 mobo approx $150 Asus K8V Deluxe

Negative for both - must be upgraded soon - LGA-775 for Prescott and Socket 939 for Athlon

3. RAM

4. TOTAL:
Prescott: $365
Athlon64: $450

Closer, but still quite a spread...

In the reviews I have seen 655TX is still slower than 875P but faster than 865PE so doesn't sound like top performing.
And BTW without any problems you can get KT800 mobo for around 100$ (like MSI one) so still the only diffrence in price comes from cpu's but of course with the wide ammount of mobo's you can make any biased calculations which will prove one fact or other.
At least we agree with one thing there's no upgrade possibilities in both cases :)

Well, I don't know what reviews *you're* reading but you might want to read the ones that have P4S800D-E Deluxe in the title :p like the ones on this site and anandtech. There is NO question that the SiS 655TX is the fastest PIV chipset out at the current time.

As to the choice of mobos, notice how I said only QUALITY components. Translation=Asus mobos. I chose mobos with similar features from the same company.

So, you're looking at close to a 25% price increase of the Athlon64 setup in comparison to the Prescott setup. It would be silly for a potential purchaser not to consider that in their buying decision as it's not lunch money...

And remember why I pointed all this out in the first place; a claim was made that the Athlon64 was somehow much more attractive. I was simply showing that not only is it not much more attractive, it's not even *as* attractive as a Pentium IV setup right now. I have no problems with people going AMD; it's just that when you aren't skimping on components (ie no cheap quality MSI mobos with less features) a Prescott system is still at a superior price point in relation to a comparable Athlon64 system.

Yeah SIS655TX coming to dumb ass schmoe's near you....

It benched just slightly slower.....HOWEVER was only able to get to 210FSB on a hand picked chip known to do 3.6Ghz (300FSB).

http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/gigabyte-8s655tx/index06.htm

OCP -

We had several requests to push this board like only the [H] can. In the end we were able to tame a North Bridge heat problem with a little active cooling (in the form of a fan) and achieve a rock solid 250 FSB. Without active cooling on the North Bridge, the P4PS800D-E Deluxe would not reach even this point and without a fan, this chip ran at 141 degrees Fahrenheit/60 degrees Celsius at idle and 170 degrees Fahrenheit/76 degrees Celsius under load.

250FSB is weak and not close to enough for most of us. 2.4C @250FSB is 3.0Ghz......snoooze. And thats adding cooling to the pile of crap.

To summarize:

Sis is for cheapskates who are looking for good solutions at stock performance. Seeing as how we are in the [H]ardforum, stock performance is simply unacceptable.

well according to gamepc the P4 2.8E will cost around 175 USD
(this store usually has higher prices than other stores like newegg) so that gives you an idea

www.gamepc.com

Edit: Fixed link

Back