Preparing automatic repair

dhodson66

Weaksauce
I have a 5900x system running windows 11 for a year now but now all of a sudden is stuck and won’t load. I just get preparing automatic repair on screen and never finishes regardless of rebooting?

No new changes prior.

any usb drives in the system? remove them. disconnect any other storage drives and try booting only from the main

Thx for the suggestion
I did that and now on reboot seem to be stuck here

image.jpg

drives got some bad spots. leave sit for a long time and watch the numbers in the middle. if still no progress. id stop messing with it, setup a new install with another drive and do data recovery. then attempt to fix it.

Thanks I’ll leave it for a day

double Unfortunately it’s a Samsung 980pro 2tb and really isn’t old

Thanks I’ll leave it for a day

double Unfortunately it’s a Samsung 980pro 2tb and really isn’t old

Despite historically being some of our most reliable parts, we have received a surprising number of reports of failing Samsung drives, specifically with the 2TB version of the 980 Pro. - https://www.pugetsystems.com/support/guides/critical-samsung-ssd-firmware-update/

I never looked into this issue much, so if it's already failed I'm not sure if the firmware update will fix it or not. But assuming after CHKDSK runs you have a working system I would update the firmware.

Thx
I’m near positive I have the latest firmware established but I’ll recheck if it’s successful

I have two SSDs in the system

I assume it’s always the boot one that causes the problem?

Funny I put the OS on the Samsung drive thinking it was the most trustworthy

I’ll probably get a new ssd tomorrow, install windows, get a m2 external closure and copy over the files

Thx

I have two SSDs in the system

I assume it’s always the boot one that causes the problem?

Funny I put the OS on the Samsung drive thinking it was the most trustworthy

I’ll probably get a new ssd tomorrow, install windows, get a m2 external closure and copy over the files

Thx
i said "disconnect any other drives". so, remove the second one, it could be the D: drive being scanned and the samsung might be fine. i assumed you were down to only your os/boot drive...

The other drive is another ssd installed on the motherboard. I did remove anything usb (wasn’t any drives but everything except mouse and keyboard) and there are no sata connections

The other drive is another ssd installed on the motherboard. I did remove anything usb (wasn’t any drives but everything except mouse and keyboard) and there are no sata connections
take it out its "another storage drive"

any usb drives in the system? remove them. disconnect any other storage drives and try booting only from the main

Thx for all the suggestions and sorry I wasn’t following them correctly

So when I opened it up, I found I did have a sata drive that I probably don’t have anything on but disconnected it first and it now boots

Windows now loads
It asks to check disk but seems to blow right through that quickly so I think there isn’t an issue

I ran Samsung magic and sk hynix software and no issues noted

I ran malwarebytes and no issues

I then tried to speed test my internet and download is same almost 1 gig hard wired but my upload is near zero. Playing a game was impossible bc of it. Other computers in home all normal

Any ideas what’s still going on

Thx for all the suggestions and sorry I wasn’t following them correctly

So when I opened it up, I found I did have a sata drive that I probably don’t have anything on but disconnected it first and it now boots

Windows now loads
It asks to check disk but seems to blow right through that quickly so I think there isn’t an issue

I ran Samsung magic and sk hynix software and no issues noted

I ran malwarebytes and no issues

I then tried to speed test my internet and download is same almost 1 gig hard wired but my upload is near zero. Playing a game was impossible bc of it. Other computers in home all normal

Any ideas what’s still going on
good
unplug your cable and plug it back in, maybe try rebooting the modem/router

Back