Predator X34 Owner's Club & Discussion.

Probably just a manufacturing issue like a panel lottery. Acer does say "up to" 100 Hz. I'm sure that manufacturing tolerances are going to make different displays have different amounts of success when overclocking. I'm hoping that the snsv version will be better.

I'm hoping this isn't the case. If it is, there's gonna be short stock and tons of RMA's coming in from retail locations as people buy the X34, get it home and see it won't hit 100 hz, take it back and swap it out, rinse and repeat.

Like every panel lottery, it's a pain for all involved.

What is snsv?

Not sure why he felt the need to do that, but it is Asus upside down and reversed....

It won't be any better because the Asus uses the same panel. Just like LG and Dell all use the same panel as well. There is only one 34" 21:9 IPS panel being manufactured, it is only designed for 60Hz so all these overclocked monitors are a lottery and can't be guaranteed to work above 60Hz properly.

Acer is pretty damn clear that 100Hz is not guaranteed to work. Some people just have unrealistic expectations.

Not sure why he felt the need to do that, but it is Asus upside down and reversed....

It won't be any better because the Asus uses the same panel. Just like LG and Dell all use the same panel as well. There is only one 34" 21:9 IPS panel being manufactured, it is only designed for 60Hz so all these overclocked monitors are a lottery and can't be guaranteed to work above 60Hz properly.

Acer is pretty damn clear that 100Hz is not guaranteed to work. Some people just have unrealistic expectations.

How is it unrealistic when a high percentage hit 100 hz easily? That leads one to believe that they are one of the few with a lower quality panel, and a simple return/exchange will probably net you a higher quality panel. It's a $1300 monitor, I expect it to be one of the ones that hit's 100 hz or it gets exchanged. I wouldn't care so much if it was the $650 Dell that can, on occasion, be overclocked. The X34 is way to expensive not to hit all the high marks in it's specs.

Whats the high percentage you speak of? Do you have actual statistical data? But yea, there is nothing wrong with your expectation on this monitor with price tag of $1,300

Whats the high percentage you speak of? Do you have actual statistical data? But yea, there is nothing wrong with your expectation on this monitor with price tag of $1,300

I've actually got one and have spent 2 days reading of others horror stories like mine. So my best guess is much more qualified than yours I'd say. Am I going to comb through threads and count the number of people who got 100hz vs those who didn't? Nope, because I don't care if you want stats or not. I know there are several others there with the same problems as me out of a very limited amount of people with this monitor. So it's not just my monitor, and it's obviously a real problem.

And I don't even have the even more widespread problem out there with the backlight not turning on after sleeping.

Someone was hoping for 100Hz and didn't get it. So he's not satisfied and will be returning it (and possibly trying again). Others might decide to just live with it. To each their own. Quit being shitty to each other.

If Acer starts getting a whole bunch of returns on units that can't do 100Hz but can do 95Hz without issue, then starts selling them as refurbished units for hundreds of dollars off the MSRP I would gladly settle for one of those. :D

Sometimes in these cases its not the displays fault...those having issues hitting 100hz, what GPU are you using?

Gaming rig in my sig.

RG0BS1U.gif

Probably just a manufacturing issue like a panel lottery. Acer does say "up to" 100 Hz. I'm sure that manufacturing tolerances are going to make different displays have different amounts of success when overclocking. I'm hoping that the snsv version will be better.

Acer have clarified that the language employed in their marketing, i.e. "up to", is not meant to be taken as meaning nothing over 60hz is guaranteed, but that the monitor can run at any refresh rate between 60hz and 100hz.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_predator_x34.htm

Update 6th October 2015

Acer have answered our questions about the overclocked refresh rate. The reason for the "up to" 100Hz message is because you can customise the maximum refresh rate you want to select in the OSD, in 5Hz increments all the way up to 100Hz. We have been told that overclocking does NOT affect the Acer warranty, which carries standard warranty terms and is available via the Acer support website.

We are told that once enabled in the OSD the monitor will report back to your operating system the supported refresh rates and it should not matter what graphics card vendor you are using. Based on this you should be able to get 100Hz in most cases it seems. If you can't quite get the full 100Hz but are very close (like 95Hz for example) we would not worry about that - just enjoy the screen!

So in officer921's case, the instability and flickering definitely point to a likely fault with the monitor, probably a screwed backlight or g-sync module, unless there is something about SLI that is causing incompatibility but I have not seen any other users pointing fingers at SLI.

For the record my X34 so far has had no problems running at 100hz.

I'm sitting on day four with no issues yet. All of these horror stories going around has me nervous though. I hold my breath every time I wake my computer or play a game.

I have heard of many horror issues on my Swift too, a lot more, but mine has yet to show any signs of problems, so I'd say don't worry about it.

Yeah if it's been working for 4 days already then I wouldn't worry about it. I too used to be worried about something happening to my 270HU but it's been half a year already without problems.

I'm talking/dealing directly with Acer about these issue. The monitor is fucking amazing, but these issues are deal breakers. Hoping we can get something worked out. A firmware update or something could be all that's needed. Waiting to hear back if they have anymore testing scenarios they want me to do. Just to clarify, the issues we're dealing with, which are hit or miss depending on your panel, are:

- Inability to hit 100hz overclock. The impression I'm getting is that all X34's should hit 100hz. Or at least that's what Acer intended.
- Upon waking from sleep, backlight/portions of the screen may be dark. Upon clicking your mouse or interacting the computer, everything goes back to normal.
- Coil whine. Can get louder or quieter on some panels based on overclock.

Like I said, some have none of these problems, some have all of them. Unfortunately I'm one with all of them, and so far I think I'm the only one with all 3. Acer is having trouble recreating all the issues, so I'm guessing they might want my monitor for a test bed. They've already swapped out a couple other owners with issues so they'd have test monitors, but none with all 3 problems. They contacted me earlier today for a bunch of info. We shall see.

Goddamn the monitor is beautiful though. If I can get a firmware update or a perfect panel, I'll be extremely happy.

Is it just me, or did Microcenter remove the X34 from their site completely?

Last edited:
The wake from sleep bug seems to be the most common issue, mine suffers from it as well but I am not particularly concerned if everything else is perfect. Acer are looking into the issue anyway and hopefully can resolve it with a firmware fix.

Acer have clarified that the language employed in their marketing, i.e. "up to", is not meant to be taken as meaning nothing over 60hz is guaranteed, but that the monitor can run at any refresh rate between 60hz and 100hz.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_predator_x34.htm

So in officer921's case, the instability and flickering definitely point to a likely fault with the monitor, probably a screwed backlight or g-sync module, unless there is something about SLI that is causing incompatibility but I have not seen any other users pointing fingers at SLI.

For the record my X34 so far has had no problems running at 100hz.

Acer did not say, and has never said that 100Hz is a guarantee, or that failure to hit 100Hz is a defective panel. People returning this monitor because it can't overclock to 100Hz are no different than people who return CPU's that don't hit X GHz on overclock. They are cheating the system and raising costs for everyone else by returning a non-defective product. The only thing Acer clarified in that TFT Central response was that overclocking the monitor did not have any effect on voiding warranty coverage.

In officers case, he has other issues with the panel that would warrant a replacement, but returning this simply because it doesn't hit a non guaranteed overclock is abusing returns.

Last edited:
Acer did not say, and has never said that 100Hz is a guarantee, or that failure to hit 100Hz is a defective panel. People returning this monitor because it can't overclock to 100Hz are no different than people who return CPU's that don't hit X GHz on overclock. They are cheating the system and raising costs for everyone else by returning a non-defective product. The only thing Acer clarified in that TFT Central response was that overclocking the monitor did not have any effect on voiding warranty coverage.

In officers case, he has other issues with the panel that would warrant a replacement, but returning this simply because it doesn't hit a non guaranteed overclock is abusing returns.

I disagree with you. In this case this monitor is priced way way higher than many others in it's class in part because of the ability to run at 100Hz. If you take that away then you are left with an over priced 21:9 gsync screen that's no different than some others priced for less. If I buy one and it doesn't run at 100Hz I WILL also be returning it as that is one of the KEY features and if it can't do it I do not need nor want this particular panel. Call it abuse if you'd like matters not to me. I want what I am paying for, period.

That's between the customer and their retailer. If I buy this monitor at this premium price and it doesn't reach 100Hz, I may not be satisfied. And since my retailer is willing to accept a return if I am not "satisfied" I'm not sure why you've decided it is any of your business. And no, I would not buy into any fanciful "those returned monitors raise the price for everyone" rationale. That's a chicken/egg argument and I suspect the actual effect is negligible.

Last edited:

Haha are you serious?

There is a big difference here, Acer felt confident enough that most units would hit 100 Hz to stamp that number on the box, and the max refresh is even configurable from the monitor's OSD.

CPUs aren't marketed with "up to X GHz overclock" claims.

Haha are you serious?

There is a big difference here, Acer felt confident enough that most units would hit 100 Hz to stamp that number on the box, and the max refresh is even configurable from the monitor's OSD.

CPUs aren't marketed with "up to X GHz overclock" claims.

CPU's allow you to set multipliers up to X, doesn't guarantee that you will be able to run with that..... A setting available does not a guarantee make....

ON TOPIC:

I got my X34 setup tonight. Mild backlight bleed in the bottom left corner. Don't notice any dead pixels or other imperfections. Runs at 100Hz easy, no noticeable coil whine. Obviously have not played with it enough to see if I have the wake from sleep issue or not yet.

CPU's allow you to set multipliers up to X, doesn't guarantee that you will be able to run with that..... A setting available does not a guarantee make....

ON TOPIC:

I got my X34 setup tonight. Mild backlight bleed in the bottom left corner. Don't notice any dead pixels or other imperfections. Runs at 100Hz easy, no noticeable coil whine. Obviously have not played with it enough to see if I have the wake from sleep issue or not yet.

You missed the point of his post. A CPU is specifically marketed at XX Ghz. Which is the stock rating. There is no advertising anywhere that says "CAN HIT 4.8Ghz" or "4.8Ghz processor!!" even though it comes clocked at 4.2Ghz stock. Now this very expensive monitor has "100hz" stamped all over the box, the website, and everything else. It's literally marketed as THE 100hz Gsync 34" curved monitor.

If they don't want the returns for not hitting 100Hz, then don't market that way. And yes, even if I didn't have other issues, I would return it solely for not hitting 100Hz. I pay $1300 for a monitor, the fucker better do everything it's capable of.

Acer quite clearly state in both their promotional material and the clarification to TFTCentral that the monitor is designed and intended to run at 100hz. Clearly the use of the word 'overclock' in this context does not have the same meaning as overclocking a cpu beyond the manufacturer's specifications.

So no, your comparison is not valid because as others have already explained, neither intel nor amd market their cpu's as being overclockable to a specific frequency, and if they did consumers would be well within their rights to return those cpu's that could not achieve those clocks.

And for the premium Acer demand for thr X34 I would have no hesitation whatsoever with demanding an exchange or refund if my particular unit couldn't run at 100hz as advertised by Acer.

Sadly, this thread will now be two pages of this. Because it's incredibly unlikely that a certain someone is going to be willing to climb down off their high horse after climbing up so high at the outset. That is, if internet norms hold.

Guys, it was determined in the overclock.net thread that older Nvidia cards such as the GTX 670/770/760 cannot clock higher than 95Hz so the problem is not the monitor.

One OCN member tested it on his GTX 670 and only got 95Hz and brought his monitor over to his friend's house and got 100Hz to work on his friend's GTX 980.

780, 780TI, 960, 970, 980, 980TI have no problem overclocking to 100Hz.

Guys, it was determined in the overclock.net thread that older Nvidia cards such as the GTX 670/770/760 cannot clock higher than 95Hz so the problem is not the monitor.

One OCN member tested it on his GTX 670 and only got 95Hz and brought his monitor over to his friend's house and got 100Hz to work on his friend's GTX 980.

780, 780TI, 960, 970, 980, 980TI have no problem overclocking to 100Hz.

Lol, ok. That's why I have two of the best 980TI's and I can't get over 95hz. Sweeping claims like yours, without research, are usually proven wrong.

So, New Egg just had them up for order (backorder with 10 day appx. shipping time) so I bit. After reading some of these posts I'm starting to second guess myself. Anyway, I'm hoping I get one that is issue free. *crosses fingers*

Sadly, this thread will now be two pages of this. Because it's incredibly unlikely that a certain someone is going to be willing to climb down off their high horse after climbing up so high at the outset. That is, if internet norms hold.

Exactly^
None of this, is the point.

I & Others have none of the issue he is having.. I get the anger, but be an adult and get a new one already...

Walk into a retailer and grab one, if it doesn't do what you want, you get a new one.

/eos

So, New Egg just had them up for order (backorder with 10 day appx. shipping time) so I bit. After reading some of these posts I'm starting to second guess myself. Anyway, I'm hoping I get one that is issue free. *crosses fingers*

I have been looking at this and the new ROG Swift, but Amazon has neither yet. Come to think of it, I haven't been able to find either anywhere.

What was the price? Never mind, found the NE listing.

eh so newegg is shipping mine now....I wonder whos non-overclocking second hand return they are shipping me :-(

Yes I have had Newegg ship me returned stuff before passed off as "new"

This should be good.

eh so newegg is shipping mine now....I wonder whos non-overclocking second hand return they are shipping me :-(

Yes I have had Newegg ship me returned stuff before passed off as "new"

This should be good.

Good luck, the only problem I have had on mine so far is the backlight sleep issue. It really is a non-issue for the most part because the second you get into windows it realizes and turns on completely. It should be a simple firmware fix ... that is assuming they get their act together and allow firmware updates by consumers.

Good luck, the only problem I have had on mine so far is the backlight sleep issue. It really is a non-issue for the most part because the second you get into windows it realizes and turns on completely. It should be a simple firmware fix ... that is assuming they get their act together and allow firmware updates by consumers.

I did some searching, and they've done consumer updates before. Download file, put on flash drive, and plug into USB port on monitor. Monitor finds update on drive and flashes new firmware automatically. So they can definitely do it. But who knows.

I did some searching, and they've done consumer updates before. Download file, put on flash drive, and plug into USB port on monitor. Monitor finds update on drive and flashes new firmware automatically. So they can definitely do it. But who knows.

Yep that is how it normally works. However they weren't allowing consumer firmware updates for the blue banding issue. So who knows, maybe they did something monumentally stupid and it isn't possible to do a firmware update in that manner.

Does this monitor have 24p judder free playback or only TV have that or all computer monitors have 24p judder free too?

Does this monitor have 24p judder free playback or only TV have that or all computer monitors have 24p judder free too?

I assume it will be fine because you can run it at any refresh rate you want. So running at 24Hz should work ok.

Ugghh apparently in my haste I had selected eggsaver shipping (thought I had 3-day)... I can't wait to play with this display when it arrives next year lol.

Back