Powerline Networking

Dark Ember

[H]ard|Gawd
So I'm thinking about getting powerline networking for parts of my house, as running CAT5 is not feasible, and my wireless connection won't serve all of the rooms I need network connections in.

So, I'm wondering if I can hook a powerline network unit to my router, and then receive the network in 2 separate rooms with 2 other powerline network adapters. Or do these only work in pairs on 1 power grid?

i don't know what the powerline stuff costs (or basically anything about powerline), but you might save some money if you set up one or more linksys wrt54g wireless routers as repeaters. i don't think the ability comes with the factory firmware, but there are plenty of aftermarket firmwares and i know at least one can act as a repeater. those boxes are usually about $40 after rebate. also, if you can wire part of your house, then you can use the same linksys boxes as a wireless bridge between different wired parts of your house.

i think its just point to point so only 2 jacks avalible... i dont think that the powerline stuff has the ability to act as a layer 3 device.... and if it does i need to yell at my power outlets for not being as smart as yours :p ....... go wireless... if nothing else run the powerline to one side of your house and put of two APs.... just remember to lock down the wireless :cool:

Ok, thanks for the suggestions and info.

I do need to try one other thing to see if my wireless will work ok. I'll put the WAP/router and cable modem on the middle floor, connect my xbox to a wired port out of the router, run the powerline from the router to a switch upstairs, and I may be able to receive a wireless signal in the basement and upstairs then.

So that would mean 2 powerline devices and 1 wireless NIC for the computer in the basement.

/edit - and thanks for the reminder to lock down the wireless network too. Can never be reminded too many times about that...

You can have your connection as follows:

(Floor/Room 1)
Cable Modem > Router > Crossover Cat5 Cable > Powerline Adapter ==> Wall

(Floor/Room 2)
Wall > Powerline Adapter > Ethernet Switch > Computer(s)

So yes, you can have your router connected to an adapter and share your internet through your powerline.

I've read powerline networking never really caught on because it's expensive and painfully slow...

The powerline networknig is fairly expensive for what your getting. I beleive it was around 100-120 for a pair. For that price you could easily punch holes in your wall and run CAT5, unless your home is rented.

The power in my home is fairly flakey. My amplifiers will go into protection mode for a second or two every time the A/C goes on or off, every time the air compressor comes on, or when someone plugs in a vaccume cleaner. The electrical wiring in homes just isnt any reliable medium to use for networking. Ive heard of other things that use phone-jacks to use for home networking, but the easiest, cheapest, fastest option would be 54G wifi.

Things are changing, because there's a demand (mostly from frustrated wireless users, I guess). In the past they were limited to 10 Mb/s max. Netgear's new "HD" devices advertise faster speeds, and

Supports up to 16 HDX101 units on one home network

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Bri...rs/PowerlineWallPluggedExtenders/HDXB101.aspx

However, I'm sure they don't guarantee those speeds, and it depends on what else is connected to your power, its breaks, etc.

The more conventional solution is to get a more powerful AP.

But what I really don't get is this -- who doesn't like seeing cables running gigabit strung around their home? :confused:

Do you have Cable ports in the rooms you need connectivity? If so and even if not, you may want to look at this article. Ethernet over power or cable tv wiring. They also do throughput testing to give you an idea..

Madwand said:
Things are changing, because there's a demand (mostly from frustrated wireless users, I guess). In the past they were limited to 10 Mb/s max. Netgear's new "HD" devices advertise faster speeds, and

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Bri...rs/PowerlineWallPluggedExtenders/HDXB101.aspx

However, I'm sure they don't guarantee those speeds, and it depends on what else is connected to your power, its breaks, etc.

The more conventional solution is to get a more powerful AP.

But what I really don't get is this -- who doesn't like seeing cables running gigabit strung around their home? :confused:

I agree, go with the Netgear, and far as cables go, its called Raceway and hiding wires. If you do things right you never see cables :D
Race Way

Ya I was wondering where this one came from, i always love it when someone has an answer to a question that is over a year old....

Back