PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX Vega 56 review is up at Guru3d

Interesting to see it pull ahead of the GTX 1080 in a couple of tests, but overall it doesn't look like much of an improvement over reference.

Interesting to see it pull ahead of the GTX 1080 in a couple of tests, but overall it doesn't look like much of an improvement over reference.

I thought it would be more of an improvement over the stock blower configuration. It's definitely cooler and quieter but I expected more overclocking headroom.

Now if it were only for sale anywhere.

I have a Vega 56 Reference model that I purchased for $499 back in October. (Actually, $469 once I received back $30 when the prices dropped.) I did miss the $399 MSRP price that came up a little over two weeks later but, I am still happy. I mention this because it is very much like when I purchased a R9 290 Reference in October or so of 2013, I just bought it before the mining boom. :D Well, in a couple of years, I can get better cooling, if i need it but, the reference blower does not bother me.

Well, custom cards like this one are out but I agree, now if they were for sale anywhere.

I have a Vega 56 Reference model that I purchased for $499 back in October. (Actually, $469 once I received back $30 when the prices dropped.) I did miss the $399 MSRP price that came up a little over two weeks later but, I am still happy. I mention this because it is very much like when I purchased a R9 290 Reference in October or so of 2013, I just bought it before the mining boom. :D Well, in a couple of years, I can get better cooling, if i need it but, the reference blower does not bother me.

Well, custom cards like this one are out but I agree, now if they were for sale anywhere.

Also impossible to find reference versions anymore new. And the mining ones are still over MSRP on ebay and the like.

Honestly, I can't wait for them to come out with mining-only cards... let us gamers have something to work with. I don't mind paying, but I draw the line at a certain point. Got lucky with the RX480 for my workstation (open box at microcenter!), and my 1060 for the new room-scale VR system I built for the wife (microcenter again).

Well, it'a an AMD card so I wasn't expecting much from it. AMD isn't known for mind blowing overclocking cards anyways. Of course it will pull ahead on some titles the AMD is tweaked for. I do like the cooling on it tho.

The card looks beautiful. :) :D Too bad buying one is not really possible, at least for the most part. I have yet too see anyone say that regret buying one though, which is excellent.

the batshitty prices on consumer vega makes me wish someone would do an updated review of vega frontier with the new drivers considering the aircooled version is under a grand and in stock.

Heh.

The 64 version of this hit newegg yesterday. I was on 5 minutes after the notification and already too late. At $900, mind you, but still.

Heh.

The 64 version of this hit newegg yesterday. I was on 5 minutes after the notification and already too late. At $900, mind you, but still.

Who would seriously buy these for gaming? So the price does not matter because they will earn their money back through mining ...

Who would seriously buy these for gaming? So the price does not matter because they will earn their money back through mining ...

I have 4 gaming machines around the house. One ALWAYS runs a different brand of video card (in case of driver issues/game problems/etc). Right now that's my workstation, which is a Ryzen 7 + RX480 4G (that I got for $150 open box). It's gaming at 1900x1200, and I'd love to get something a touch bit better for it (the others are a 1060 in the VR Room-Scale system, a 1080 in my serious gaming/VR system, and a 1060 in my laptop). The RX is nice, but the workstation gets upgrades once every 4 years, and the RX was a bit smaller than I'd hoped to put in it originally. I'd find an RX580 but those are LOL these days too.

Back