Power supply revival???

AMV

Limp Gawd
I got this older (not too old) ATX power supply that a guy gave me, it's generic I think, but it's giving me grief... I plug it into a mobo and it fires some stuff up and then shuts down... now I know you think it sounds like under powered... but all it's running is a P1 233 and 64MB EDO a 3Gb HDD and a cd rom.... oh, and a vid card (generic mach64 or something). so I unplugged the thing out of the system and put a pin from the green wire to a ground wire (to start it without the mobo) and I hooked up one 120mm fan to it.... the PS spins the fan up for about 1/2 a sec, and then dies, now if I keep pulling the pin in and outt of the ATX connector I can spin the faan constantly... but as fun as that is... I would like to fix this thing I could use it in this P1 system for my mom's solitaire system (don't ask)

LMAO solitaire...i dont know shit about psu's dude but i read this and thought it was funny as hell... :p

Try throwing some load on the +5v, most supplies need some load on that rail or they will do exactly what you just described

alright, I'll give that a try tonight... out of curiosity what device can I guarentee will put a load on the 5v ?? the Hdd runs on 12 right? and I think the 120mm fan I got running on it would go off the 5v wouldn't it??

ok, I threw this thing back on the bench finally and hooked up a hard drive, and that let it spin up and I messured the lines, and I get a good solid 3.3v 5.0v 12.0v lines, bue I hooked it into a mother board with a 233 and 32 Mb ram then I put a AGP vid card on it (an old banshee) and it still powered up the PS but no video came through, swapped out the AGP for an old ISA vif card (assuming the AGP might have sucked to much) anyway, still no video, so yeah, any links or suggestions on what I should look at?

Back