System Specs:

AMD 2400+ Barton w/ 5700rpm fan
Gigabyte GA-7VAX Mobo
1Gb DDR400 Ram
Audigy Sound-C
Floppy, 2 HDD's, 1 CDRW
Celestica ATI Gold Edition Radeon X800 PRO
350w PSU

Hi, I'm new here.... well I've known FLECOM (bows to name) for like 4 years now and know about these forums for just as long - well to the point:

Okay, I got the above video card today and I previously had a GeForce4 MX440 working fine (well to its standards) and i put in the x800 pro in as soon as i got home... I hook up the power but it doesnt even power up! I put in the GF4 and it does... but then i take it out and put the x800 again and nothing... I so i removed the power from the x800 and it starts but ofcourse beeps like fuck and tells me to put the power... I put the power - NOTHING AGAIN!. Can someone help me please? I'm using my brothers comp as we speak.

You guys think you can help a board new-b out? <--- Yes I admit im a board new-b

Sounds like you need a bigger PSU. These new video cards with auxiliary power connecters use an astounding amount of power, getting close to 100 watts if not more. I would probably not go smaller than a decent quality 430watt PSU if I were you. That's probably the smallest you could get away with. Bigger is better because it leaves room for expansion.

I'm kicking myself for getting a 430watt PSU now because while it was adequate at the time I built my system, I need to upgrade it to put in the two new hard drives I want to get. Be sure to check the current available on each rail and make sure you're not going to exceed that. Overloading PSUs causes them to malfunction. Some will just not power on, others will limp along for a while and explode one day.

Back