Power outage monitor that works? Known reliable from personal experience?

OFaceSIG

2[H]4U
The GFCI that feeds my deep freezer likes to trip. I'd like to set up a monitor that texts me when it happens. I see tons of them on Amazon, but does anyone have personal experience with one that they know to be reliable? If so let me know, thanks.

Yeah, fix the GFCI, the more they trip, the easier they trip, a new one might be all you need.

But look into a temp monitor for in the freezer, too. That solves the issue of knowing if there's no power as well as freezer broke. I've got one from govee, but I can't really recommend it cause I never figured out how to get alerts from it. (I do get alerts from the water sensors though).

Get rid of the gfci. They don't work well for freezers and fridges.

Get rid of the gfci. They don't work well for freezers and fridges.

Depending on location of the outlet, that might not be possible (at least legally). The only times that I've had issues is on a shared circuit. If it's a dedicated circuit just for the fridge/freezer, and it's tripping, its a bad GFCI, wiring issue, or fault with the fridge/freezer.

Second the idea that you probably don't need a GFCI for the freezer (depending on location). If it were me, I'd test the current draw using a DMM and max hold function. Perhaps the compressor is drawing too much current. If that's the case, either the compressor has an issue, or the breaker is undersized.

Breaker is sized to the wiring, so if it is undersized, you're looking at a project.

The most reliable one I know of is my UPS for my home server. Damn thing trips and alarms that the power is out every single time the laser printer starts cause they are on the same circuit. Not much help for you perhaps.

Maybe HomeAssistant monitoring the status of a Kasa or other smart plug for the freezer? But fixing the GFCI would be my choice over all that.

Back