Power line conditioner,,,needed?

OPUS1

[H]ard|Gawd
OK I'VE GOT A POWER BUG :eek:
Maybe I'm just anal or have found a new upgrade path (till all the new stuff shakes out),
but would investing in a line conditioner be a good investment?
Just upgraded to a PCP&C 510(future proof)
Have no real issues with brownouts or the like.
But with the increase in demanding [H]ardware on the horizen and cost of upgrade,
would a line conditioner (not necessarily a backup supply) be prudent?
I quess I want the most pure,clean unadulterated power in my box.

If you don't have brownouts or blackouts, then any good surge protector should be all you need, but all but the worst PSUs contain an EMI filter that not only provides some surge protection but also blocks noise and lower-voltage surges from getting it (it's actually meant ot prevent noise from getting out). A lot of times part of this filter will be on the AC receptacle, either on a small circuit board attached to it or inside a steel can that's part of the receptacle. The rest of the filter is on the main circuit board, consisting of those boxy plastic capacitors and some coils (usually toroids).

larrymoencurly said:
If you don't have brownouts or blackouts, then any good surge protector should be all you need, but all but the worst PSUs contain an EMI filter that not only provides some surge protection but also blocks noise and lower-voltage surges from getting it (it's actually meant ot prevent noise from getting out). A lot of times part of this filter will be on the AC receptacle, either on a small circuit board attached to it or inside a steel can that's part of the receptacle. The rest of the filter is on the main circuit board, consisting of those boxy plastic capacitors and some coils (usually toroids).
Sounds like you have some heavy background with power and electrical, what experience do you have with this stuff and how did ya learn so much? (just out of curiousity, def not trying to be nosy or facetious) :)

Edit: sry about the off topic

Back