power cable question 10A-125W or 15A-125W what's the difference

nickal78

Weaksauce
I mixed up two power cables and now I don't know which is which. One is marked 10A 125W and the other is marked 15A 125W. One is for an old dell and the other is from my own pc (antec case and antec 350 watt PS). Which cable is for which system or can I use either cable? :confused: :confused:

The 10A cable can carry 10 amps and the 15A cable can carry 15 amps. Since no personal computer can draw more than 10 amps(that would need about a 1000 watt power supply), either cable should be fine on either computer. Generally, if the plugs fit, then it will work.

The only physical difference between the two cables should be the gauge of the wire used in it. the 15A cable should be thicker than the 10A cable. Either one should work just fine though.

jpmkm said:
The 10A cable can carry 10 amps and the 15A cable can carry 15 amps. Since no personal computer can draw more than 10 amps(that would need about a 1000 watt power supply), either cable should be fine on either computer. Generally, if the plugs fit, then it will work.

Welllll.... it would have to be a 700w PSU figuring in 70% efficiency ;)

Anyway, yeah you'll be fine with either.

Well I was kinda already figuring in efficiency. 10amps X 120 volts is roughly 1200 watts(yeah I know there is a difference between VA and watts). So my figure was assuming about 85% efficiency. Though I wouldn't actually recommend pulling 10 amps through a 10 amp cable.

tenor.gif

and thats a new record, first place!! great first post ;)
https://hardforum.com/threads/nooner.1169381/post-1044644086

Took my while to get what going on, a... they day when we said stuff like: no personal computer can draw more than 10 amps(that would need about a 1000 watt power supply)

Back