Post your "rate my cables" here

computer-insides-758630.jpg

rate my cables

Pretty boss yo.

Big fan of HardOCP and their shenanigans and tech info. Just now getting into the message boards and came across this thread.

This took me 17 total hours spread over 3 days. I originally took pictures of every step but It was becoming too time consuming. Basically, the wires run behind the motherboard plate and come through holes and lay under the motherboard with the majority of the cable length still behind the backplate. Note that I selected the non-modular power supply so to prevent cables from showing. Remember the rule: There is ALWAYS room for improvement!

SPECS:

Rocketfish rebranded Lian-Li Full Tower
Intel Core i7 920 overclocked at 4GHZ
Crucial 3GB DDR3-1333MHZ
Asus P6T
eVGA 280 GTX
Western Digital 1TB Black HDD
ThermalRight Ultra Extreme 120
Raidmax 700W (NON-Modular)
LiteOn DVD Burner
120MM Scythe Casefan

Nice job but I'm not seeing any hard drive nor any optical drive. It's deceiving to list them if they're not installed.

Nice job but I'm not seeing any hard drive nor any optical drive. It's deceiving to list them if they're not installed.

There is an optical drive in the top bay, you can clearly see two cables and a gray object behind the screw holes. As for the hard drive, I am not sure, perhaps under the power supply?

There is an optical drive in the top bay, you can clearly see two cables and a gray object behind the screw holes. As for the hard drive, I am not sure, perhaps under the power supply?

dsc0011tif.png

Quick shadow reduction and dodge job in PS. I see no hard drive. I saw the gray behind the screw holes however I see no SATA nor SATA power cables. The cables I see look like sleeved front panel wires. I don't know, maybe they're there and the OP is just sneaking them in ninja style.

def on the cd drive. looks to me like one of the gray wires is too low to be going to the cd. maybe the hd is suspended below.

nice job on the shop

def on the cd drive. looks to me like one of the gray wires is too low to be going to the cd. maybe the hd is suspended below.

+1. If you look below the cd drive, there is a clear/light colored cable. It appears that if may go to a suspended hard drive or something.

If i am seeing it correctly, there is also a sata cable or something at/above the cd drive. Maybe the hard drive is on top...

Dang.. it's like a bloody puzzle

I don't see where those cables would loop back and hook up to the mobo though, unless it's under the vid card, or well... That fan duct that covers a third of the mobo. :p Btw, is it me or is the vid card slanted?

Ha ha ha here is the explaination:

The optical drive has its cables plugged in but the cable is bent up to lay on top of the drive and then the cable is run to the side/top of the drive through the drive cage. It is then run up along the 3 inch space near the top of the case to behind the motherboard tray. The hard drive is installed perpendicular to the optical drive so that its cables plug in through the side of the drive cage and then run up and over also. Therefore the only thing you see is the power and sata cable from the optical drive...and only slightly. Like I said it took a LONG time.

My attempt on an Antec 300. Still a work in progress.

P1010174.jpg

P1010175.jpg

Not too bad for 3 hard drives and a PSU with chode cables. :p

Last edited:
Recently updated and sprayed CM690. :p

IMG_0051copy.jpg

S7301897.jpg

Tell me what you think ;)
Ask questions if need be.
:p;):D

Ozzy, it doesn't look bad, but from those shots, it's kind of hard to judge. Could you get any other angles of your rig?

It looks nice BTW.

@ordovician. I love your dark red interior. Very nice choice of paint color. Oh and nice wm too. :D

Here is my old pc.Still working btw ;)
Specs:Tyan Tiger MPX, 2xAthlon MP2600, Radeon 9800XT,512Ram(yea one stick R.I.P)
3Ware 9550SX-4LP 2x300Gb Seagate RAID-0 and Texas Instruments Firewire.

And people wonder why Mac's cost alot. That thing is pure art in its design and execution.

Here is my old pc.Still working btw ;)
Specs:Tyan Tiger MPX, 2xAthlon MP2600, Radeon 9800XT,512Ram(yea one stick R.I.P)
3Ware 9550SX-4LP 2x300Gb Seagate RAID-0 and Texas Instruments Firewire.

I had a case like that for my K7 rig too. Had a window side panel, neon bars, the works. Ahhhh memories...

Cables???
Yeah, that's real nifty and all, but this is "Post your 'rate my cables'", not "Post Apple's 'rate my cables'". Unless the Mac is modded, or the poster is an Apple engineer or something, Macs don't apply here. Isn't there a thread in the "Apple Products" subforum for that?

Despite everyone's nonsense, I do agree on the general idea that posting cable work NOT done by you is fraudulent. This does nothing but waste thread. Now for some more posts! This is my first attempt at any real cable organizing. This i7 rig was meant for an SFF box but I haven't gotten around to purchasing the case or the aftermarket cooling and accessories to modify that case, and since there is a LAN this Saturday I needed something quick. So I pulled the old P180B out of its' box and this is what I accomplished. . . (note still missing 2 HDD's, in progress to pull them out of another box, but the cables are already run to accomodate them)

IMG_0330.jpg

Specs:
Case - Antec P180 B
Motherboard - Asus Rampage II Gene mATX i7
CPU - Intel LGA 1366 i7 920 2.66Ghz
GPU - EVGA GTX 285 1GB
PSU - Silverstone Zeus ST60F 600w modular
HDD- 74GB WD Raptor / 1TB Raid 0 (2x 500GB Seagate) . . . and soon a 3TB Raid 0 (2x 1.5TB Seagate) for file storage.

and just for some comparison to my usual cable "neatness". . my current file server :rolleyes:

IMG_0331.jpg

RAID0 for storage? very, very bad idea... even single disks is better than that.

Hah yea I know. I was thinking either I would use the two drives to mirror the contents of my home file server or use the drives as temp storage as I would transfer files to the file server when I return home. This is a gaming rig first and foremost, the storage drives just let me do without taking my fileserver with me to LANs. If I go the second option I wouldn't need that much storage for grabbing shares, so I have a couple of smaller drives on the side I could throw in for that.

I haven't purchased the drives yet, and I will more likely upgrade my fileserver to 1TB drives and go Raid 5 there before investing in storage for this rig (as well as looking into more cable management). I guess I should've clarified :p

Sometimes the old is just good enough.

020.jpg

022.jpg

(BTW the SCSI cable wasn't plugged in the time the photo was taken, and also top drive died)

The cable is about the best I can do.

My Crack/illegal Server/Then IBM xseries eserver200
P3 Tualatin 1.4GHZ (Best back then owns a 1.8 P4)
512MB 133 RAM total
S3 Savage Pro 2000 8MB
1x18.6GB IBM rebadged Seagate USCSI 10000K HDD, 1x8GB Quantum HDD
330watt ACBEL Server PSU
Ubuntu Server Edition Modified & Windows 2000

Last edited:
Yeah....the top drive that died recently (I dropped it on the floor) was a 250GB Western Digital. Well 26GB is plenty for what I do...if you look at the name of the server in my previous post. You would know what I mean, and the files only take a mere few kilobytes.

@ZMTT: Yeah your right, the old days when a 10GB was sufficient enough for a family computer, but I'm planning to get a RAID pata PCI card and install that. Any idea if I can buy 2 PCI cards and RAID em?

My attempt on an Antec 300. Still a work in progress

Nice, I like that front-grill replacement you did (that's not stock is it?). What'd you use? I did something similar to replace the blue plasticky grill on my old Antec Super Lanboy but it didn't end up as nice (the way the front bezzel is made and the way the grill sat, nothing can really sit flush on it, since the fan protrudes out).

Back