Post Your Mac Setup!

Finally got around to posting pics, my setup is pitiful compared to some of these

IMG_0266.jpg

Computer: Dual G4 1Ghz 1.75GB RAM 2X80GB HD 1X60GB HD 1X120GB HD
OSX 10.4.11 OSX 10.5 Dual boot, 20" ACD, iPod Touch 16GB on the clock radio

And yes, that's about as messy as my desk gets, think it's early spring cleaning time :)

Ahhh... A trip down memory Lane :)

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/547/pict0008ps3.jpg

May of 07
Just bought the macbook pro. 2.33 Ghz core2duo, and behind it is a 19" LCD.

In the backgound is an apple 17" CRT. Not pictured is the Powermac 9500 that went with it, upgraded to a 400mhz G3, that has served me well for the past 8 years.

All speakers and Amp cost me about $60 from my Grandparents, Garage Sales, and Value Village.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/3735/fullsetuplz2.jpg

Fast foward a month, and things have changed. New desk, and lots of new goodies. Logitech S530 Wireless keyboard and mouse set, Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 Speakers, My various Mp3 players, A GriffinTech Power Mate, an old CRT Stand in use as my laptop stand, and a 22" LCD to keep the 19" company. (Selling the 19").

The laptop was, at this point, in the shop for a bad wireless card. :mad:

Ahead a few more months, and I'm off to college.
Bought a matrox external graphics card and a second 22" widescreen monitor.

During this time my logic board died, and my computer went into the shop again. :(

One of the biggest computer setups in the dorm.
However, my roommate has a 22" widescreen, a 17" CRT and a 15" laptop, and plans on getting another 22" for christmas.

Must.... Retain... Supremacy! :D

Hanns G 27.5" LCD with HDMI support.

http://uaf.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=336819&l=806cc&id=692377583

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8503/pc290004vi5.jpg

(Note, second pic is not native resolution of monitor (1920x1200))

To the left of the macbook pro is the little tiny 7" Eee PC, that I bought to use as a replacement while my macbook pro was in the shop.

The Hanns G is huge. It makes all other monitors look small. Yet is isn't an eyesore. It's actually quite pretty.

However, my macbook pro is in the shop again with a bad usb port. :mad:

I'm getting fed up with this. The computer has spend almost a sixth of it's working lifetime in a shop. :(

I'm looking for a refund, and eyeing the new mac pro with octo 2.8 Ghz cores, and a couple of 8800 GT's. :D That, and a couple of 17" LCD's to put on either side of the Hanns, Or maybe another Hanns. Or both.:D And maybe one or two more monitors to up above it all. ;)

-ST-

AgentOrange - Is your monitor the 2707WFP? If so, how do you like it?

Ain't MacBook Pros awesome? :D

if it was a sub why would it be on my desk and why would it have the volume on it?

seemed like a valid question to me, i thought the same thing, and i mean c'mon, we've all seen some pretty stupid shit on the internet, can you blame him for asking?

it does seem very poorly placed though, right in front of the monitor like that, it'd annoy the crap out of me, whatever it is.

that unit is ~9 inches tall even if it doesn't look like it I'll end up starring up at my monitor

How bout put it on the floor.. It seems like its the sub/main control of the audio device. With that big ass speaker and hole, if im a betting man, its a sub. Put it on the floor. It is pretty though.

Specs on the speakers in question;

http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=373

I'm not sure whether I would call it a subwoofer or not. It claims to go down to 42Hz, which is certainly sub territory, but also claims to go up as far as 5KHz?! That top end would make pretty much everything audible from the 'sub' & it would be 100% directional so the floor might not be such a good place. But then to make things even more ambiguous, the satellites claim to have a response of 140Hz to 20KHz; why the hell does the sub go up to 5KHz if the satellites go down to 140Hz? Something very odd about this design, the sub seems to be a bastardization of a subwoofer & a normal mid/bass woofer & there is no crossover frequency but rather a range where both 'sub' & satellites are reproducing the same tones? Strange.

Look guys here are some facts:

- I'm not going to put it on the floor because it doesn't have grills to protect it
- this is my first actually speaker setup and i want to cherish it
- audiophiles suggest that it's put in front of the listener facing them (www.headfi.org)
- I like changing the volume via the center unit
- the thing doesn't bother me sitting right there
- I'm not putting my monitor on top of it since it's not good
- I'm not going to strain my neck looking UP at my monitor even if it was put on top of it.
- I can't nail in a stand to the wall therefore i can't post my LCD up or even place my unit on top of the monitor.
- with that said, I like my current setup, and you guys are free to voice your opinions but I'm not going to change it anytime soon.

that unit is ~9 inches tall even if it doesn't look like it I'll end up starring up at my monitor

Take the stand off your monitor and get an LCD mount for the back of your desk, that way you can put the monitor "on top of" the speaker / sub thingy. With that setup the height of the monitor would be the same as the speaker and you could slide the speaker all the way back on your desk.

It looks retarded the way it is right now.

That setup looks extremely awkward. I've been around computers and different setups my entire life and have never seen something like that. How can you work with a bug subwoofer staring at you? At least move it over a little or something. It looks real bad man.:cool:

Look guys here are some facts:

- the thing doesn't bother me sitting right there
- I can't nail in a stand to the wall therefore i can't post my LCD up or even place my unit on top of the monitor.
- with that said, I like my current setup, and you guys are free to voice your opinions but I'm not going to change it anytime soon.

Please read..

Hey, if he like it, i love it. Its yours, we were just trying to help. You could put it on your bed for all i care, or better yet on top of your mbp. But dont get offended for us trying to help.
Ill leave it alone, its not my chest taking a beating..

Just quickly looking at the pictures in this threadl,

What's that thing in the middle ghostchild? It seems out of place.

looks like the sub for the speaker system. theres already been a lot of discussion on the placement of it.....

Those are the Swan m10 speakers. I have them as well (along with the multi thousand dollar headphone rig in my signature).

I know good sound and you know what, for the price, these cannot be beat.

I already have an ultra-high end headphone rig for when I want to listen critically. When I want to use speakers, I chose the swan m10.

They are $99 and blow away anything by klipsch/logitech/creative/jbl in that price segment. In fact, I prefer these to the $500 paradigm mini monitors.

Technically, it is a subwoofer. There IS an internal crossover, around 100hz. It sounds like a 12db/octave crossover to my ears.

All that those specs mean is that the sub's driver is capable of playing that high; not that it actuall does (it doesn't). This is easily tested by unplugging the speakers and playing test tones at specific frequencies, which I have done.

HOWEVER, the placement that ghostchild has is CORRECT. While the sub doesn't play past 100hz much, anything above 70-80hz is directional, which means the system sounds best when the subwoofer is placed directly in front of the user. The system isn't meant to play loud; it's meant to play accurately. The subwoofer isn't a subwoofer in the traditional sense of a big box that gets thrown in the corner and blows the roof off. Think of it as just reinforcing the lower octaves. If you don't have the subwoofer on the desk, it sounds like crap.

HOWEVER, the placement that ghostchild has is CORRECT. While the sub doesn't play past 100hz much, anything above 70-80hz is directional, which means the system sounds best when the subwoofer is placed directly in front of the user. The system isn't meant to play loud; it's meant to play accurately. The subwoofer isn't a subwoofer in the traditional sense of a big box that gets thrown in the corner and blows the roof off. Think of it as just reinforcing the lower octaves. If you don't have the subwoofer on the desk, it sounds like crap.

THANK YOU THANK YOU.

end.

Those are the Swan m10 speakers. I have them as well (along with the multi thousand dollar headphone rig in my signature).

I know good sound and you know what, for the price, these cannot be beat.

I already have an ultra-high end headphone rig for when I want to listen critically. When I want to use speakers, I chose the swan m10.

They are $99 and blow away anything by klipsch/logitech/creative/jbl in that price segment. In fact, I prefer these to the $500 paradigm mini monitors.

Technically, it is a subwoofer. There IS an internal crossover, around 100hz. It sounds like a 12db/octave crossover to my ears.

All that those specs mean is that the sub's driver is capable of playing that high; not that it actuall does (it doesn't). This is easily tested by unplugging the speakers and playing test tones at specific frequencies, which I have done.

finally some sense. :)
well done.

Since no one's posting pictures on this thread I will once again...

This was before the swans and controversies...
2079386313_fa22d181f5.jpg

Because as you can see I was planning to get a whole setup thing... and I happened to get the keyboard firs before everything else.

Argh I want that wireless keyboard but they dont make one with a num pad. So annoying. Need that for video editing with a million time codes on tapes.

Back