Post your ATI Radeon HD 5770 and ATI Radeon HD 5750 Experiences

Brent_Justice

In this thread, if you are the proud owner of a new ATI Radeon HD 5770 or ATI Radeon HD 5750, post your gameplay and overclocking experiences.

You may post your highest playable gameplay settings in the games you play, and the in-game settings playable, and FRAPS data, and screenshots and image quality shown with Framerate.

You may also post your overclocking achievements, and performance gains post-overclocking.

I am generally interested to see the gameplay experience you guys are getting out of these two video cards in the various games you guys are playing.

If you are lucky enough to be running an Eyefinity setup with either of these video cards, those results are welcome as well.

Looking forward to some real world experiences with these cards.

First Saturday night of HD5770s existance and not a single benchmark to be seen. :(

Even though not a card for high rez which explain its unsuccess among a wide range of people,
This card works perfectly up to 1680x1050!
40nm really helps for oc & once flashed w/asus eah5770 bios : nice improvement indeed! :)
989533p11651.jpg

A good low end card...

Last edited:
My 5750 is slated for delivery tomorrow so i will be putting up impression's soon. Though I doubt they will be anything less than ecstatic as I am upgrading from a lowly 8800GTS 320mb. I will be able to provide some info though on the DX11 implementation soon. I play Lotro, which has a dx11 patch dropping soon. Plan to do some dx9 vs. dx10 vs. dx 11 tests. Informally of course so take em with a grain of salt, just waiting for the patch and my card.

UPS is estimating that my 5770 will be delivered tomorrow. Apparently it takes one day for shipping from LA to San Diego.

My comparison to the old 6800gt won't be fair though as I'm doing a slight CPU upgrade at the same time.

UPS is estimating that my 5770 will be delivered tomorrow. Apparently it takes one day for shipping from LA to San Diego.

My comparison to the old 6800gt won't be fair though as I'm doing a slight CPU upgrade at the same time.

The 6800gt is roughly equivilent to a 8500gt, so....:D
rock on!

that's about as infuriating as having the delivery truck drive by your house in san jose so it can drop your package off in san francisco so it can deliver it back to your house the next day.

With MSI afterburner clocks
may open with out bios flash.

Last edited:
15368 in 3dmark with the system on my sig

windows score up to 7.4 from 5.5 (4200)

if you wanna see pics pm me or tell me how to post them.

15368 in 3dmark with the system on my sig

windows score up to 7.4 from 5.5 (4200)

if you wanna see pics pm me or tell me how to post them.

Good to hear some Friday night HD5770 action. Last weekend it was so quiet. Didn't see much of HD5770 on any message boards.

Which 3dMark?

Of course I want to see some images if you can post them up some where then post the url of the image like this:

3dmark06 i forgot!!

and RE5 64.4fps with 4xAA in game settings.

I dont have the image on the web.

Last edited:
Stocks everything, the Phenom II X2 converted into a X4 B45 @3ghz

here is a pic of my system and 3dmark06

244255DSCN3756.jpg

385682RHD5770_3DMARK06.jpg

613271unigine_20091024score.jpg

7227423dmarkVantagePSCORE.jpg

I really dont like to overclock, while I have the performance I need. Besides OC gives at the most 10% which most of the times wont make a game playable, when stock speed it isnt.

I reboot an suddenly Heaven Benchmark is working.

Last edited:
Im using my shiney new Powercolor 5750 in my HTPC, Working so far but lack of real support from the Cat Drivers is kinda crappy, Having a hard time with it staying at 1080P rez, it keeps dropping to 30hz instead of 60hz, Still waiting for Powerdvd to release the update to allow me to stream True-Hd audio as well as 7.1 Master Audio as well.

Instead of an HD5770 CF, why not coupling an HD5770 with an nvidia card for physX?
a nice upgrade without any cost in my case!:)

The card alone:

Last edited:
Built my rig Friday night:

Phenom II X2 550 BE (Unlocked successfully to X4 OCed to 3.4ghz)
4gig DDR3 1333
2x 640gig Caviar Black (raid 0)
HIS Radeon 5770
Win 7 Pro

I've been playing L4D, Killing Floor, Modern Warfare at maxed out in-game settings at 1920x1080 and it was smooth as silk.

I'll post some benchmarks score later tonight when I'm home from work.

After a bit of waffling on whether to grab one now or wait a bit I pulled the trigger tonight. Hopefully I'll have a mini-review by the end of the week. I'm real curious on if it can do Titan Quest at 8x supersampling :) 1280x1024 gaming ftw.

Last edited:
I played through portal last weekend at 1920x1080 with all settings at max. Except for a room near the end (where you avoid the fire-pit-o'-doom) that featured a large room with lots of heat-ripple distortion it seemed to run at around 60fps.

I'm happy with my purchase. My 5770 seems powerful enough to play all the games I want and I don't notice the noise of the card over the "low" speed 120mm and 200mm case fans on my p180 mini. In fact, I can't even tell the computer is on from 10ft while playing a game.

Mini P180
MSI uATX i7 motherboard
6 gig's ram
i7 920 w/ boxed intel cooler
Sapphire 5770
Seagate 7200rpm HD

Mini P180
MSI uATX i7 motherboard
6 gig's ram
i7 920 w/ boxed intel cooler
Sapphire 5770
Seagate 7200rpm HD

Nice build. Sounds like it is working out perfect for you. :cool:

Anyone care to share your experiences with the 5770s? I know some of you have them as these cards are difficult to procure as well.

Well!!! UPS decided to deliver a day early, I got the card and the install went off without a hitch. Here's a copy-paste of my user-review at Rage3d. Anyone know if we can do strikeout text here?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you're looking for numbers, Rage3d HardOCP has a lovely review for you If you look at my old review http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33934667 with a 4850 it's obvious I'm CPU limited, so I'll be covering mostly the noise, heat, and some comments about max AA modes at 1280x1024. Since both of those 4850's from powercolor died, I've been using the x1800xl again since last november until now.

ETC:

XFX's packaging is to put it simply, excellent. Everything is well organized and there's no wierd origami unwrapping you need to do. Probably the best packed hardware component I've had, up there with Corsair's PSU's. I did get a bit worried though when I picked the card up in it's antistatic bag and heard an odd rattling/tinkling noise when I rotated the bag. I pulled the card out and the card didn't make any noise, so I took a closer look at the bag and there were some small bits of something inside. Thought they were surface mount components and I was in for an early RMA. Seems I was in luck though, they were just small bits of plastic, what they are and why they're there I don't know, the only thing I can think of is something a screw threaded into (looked like black shroud plastic) that was overtightened and broke off. I doubt it will affect the function of the card, and if it does I'm sure XFX's warranty will take care of it.

The card seems to be built well, love the new shrouded heatsink. The Bat nozzles folks talk about actually may be slightly functional when the main intake is blocked off. The caged fan has slots open in the bottom, and the nozzles open up a free air path to those cutouts. if anyone is really curious I'm willing to test this with some smoke while I cut off airflow with a sheet of paper or something.

Fan noise:

A few things to note, the room this computer is in is REALLY warm, as I write this it's 90F in here due to computer, speaker amps, and other electronical doodads we don't want warming up the rest of the house. A normal room kept around 70-75 degrees would likely lend a much quieter card in most circumstances.

When I first popped the card in and it booted to windows I was a bit dissapointed, it seemd that the fan constantly sped up during the windows login process. While the noise signature of the fan isn't "offensive" it's not particularly pleasant when it ramps up either. Thankfully once the beta 5700 drivers were installed it started behaving itself and idled at a nice 35% fanspeed. In comparison to my passively cooled x1800xl w/accelero s1 the 5770 is almost as quiet. I really have to concentrate to hear it over my other fans at idle and during normal 2d operations.

The real test though would be gaming. I started testing right after installing the card, and hadn't reinstalled my 120mm fan equipped door yet. I'd heard alot about how quiet the new 5000 series were even under load, and figured the side panel fan wouldn't make a big difference with this card. Loading up a few different games with highest settings caused the fan to ramp up quickly to 45% (about as fast as I could get it on auto mode) which is a little loud for my tastes. If your computer has an uncut side door, with some noise insulation on it you probably wouldn't hear it, but mine was wide open so it was noticable. I popped the side panel with the fan back on, and it was night and day. Even when I run the Unigine Heaven benchmark with 8x supersampling to thrash the GPU it only raised the fan speed slightly, to around 41% and with the sidepanel blocking some noise it wouldn't be noticable at all in most situations.

The GPU sits at around 40-43 degrees at idle, and never exceeded 80C at max load. It's quiet enough at those temps that I don't feel compelled to throw an Arctic Cooling wundersink on there just yet. I might put some ramsinks on the topside GDDR5 chips but that's about it for mods.

If you do decide to throw one on, the only power regulation part that seems to need cooling is easy to find. On the factory heatsink there's the space for the GPU and a smaller space cut out for one voltage regulator. Looking at the GPU with the bracket up, it's the small component to the top left of the GPU. If someone decides to install an aftermarket heatsink, you probably want to put a significant heatsink on there just to be safe, the tricky part will be mounting it in place as there aren't any useful mounting holes nearby. If someone could confirm that using no heatsink or even a very tiny heatsink works that would be great.

Supersampling:

To put it shorly, I love this mode. The forementioned "lod bug" is barely noticable during gameplay, and SSAA really helps with the texture aliasing/shimmering. At 1280x1024, 8xSSAA 16xAF the card does struggle a bit in some areas but the framerates are still in the playable range.

While it seems it's mostly GPU related I wouldn't doubt that a much faster CPU could bump my framerates up by 5-10fps, easily pushing into a preferred mode when available. The Unigine Heaven benchmark with tesselation ran at about 20fps avg no AA, enabling 8xSSAA only caused a 5fps drop which I found impressive, I was expecting it to drop into the low single digit range.

Titan Quest runs at around 30-60 FPS in most areas, I did have a few slowdowns during battle but I'm tempted to think that's a case of the CPU not being able to both run the game and feed the GPU at those high settings simultaneously.

Either way it's playable, though I may bump it down to 4x SSAA if I run into some bad spots more often. 4xSSAA looks way better than the old ingame AA+adaptive that I'd been running, and it's much faster. I had been playing on ingame AA+ adaptive AA checked off in the control panel, I found that satisfactory on my x1800 but when I took a real close look after installing the 5770 it looks like in-game AA is only a 2xAA mode, 2xSSAA will FLY in titan quest and unless you're allergic to aliasing like me it's probably ideal in this game.

HL2 episode: not an episode I ran at 8xSSAA+edge detect. For the most part I was at vsync, but in areas with lots of water it did slow down a little, looked great and never hurt playability though so that's gonna be my go-to setting for that game.

If anyone has any questions about the card feel free to ask, I'll test out any game that has a free demo or something available, my current library isn't very large since I was avoiding buying games until I got a good card.

Last edited:
I just received my XFX 5770 today from Newegg. The card and packaging blew me away. One of the nicest hardware packagings I have seen in 14 years of doing computer work.

I only had enough time to pop it in and play a few games, then I had to go ship off some stuff.

I upgraded from a 9600GT, so the difference should be absolutely huge.

The system I am running it on has the following specs:

i5-750 at default clocks.
Gigabyte P55-UD3R motherboard
2x2 A-Data DDR3-1600
1 Terabyte Samsung F1 for OS
Antec Earthwatts 430

If anyone wants me to run certain benchmarks on it let me know. I am off to try out a few games on it right now.

Well!!! UPS decided to deliver a day early, I got the card and the install went off without a hitch. Here's a copy-paste of my user-review at Rage3d. Anyone know if we can do strikeout text here?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you're looking for numbers, Rage3d HardOCP has a lovely review for you If you look at my old review http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33934667 with a 4850 it's obvious I'm CPU limited, so I'll be covering mostly the noise, heat, and some comments about max AA modes at 1280x1024. Since both of those 4850's from powercolor died, I've been using the x1800xl again since last november until now.

ETC:

XFX's packaging is to put it simply, excellent. Everything is well organized and there's no wierd origami unwrapping you need to do. Probably the best packed hardware component I've had, up there with Corsair's PSU's. I did get a bit worried though when I picked the card up in it's antistatic bag and heard an odd rattling/tinkling noise when I rotated the bag. I pulled the card out and the card didn't make any noise, so I took a closer look at the bag and there were some small bits of something inside. Thought they were surface mount components and I was in for an early RMA. Seems I was in luck though, they were just small bits of plastic, what they are and why they're there I don't know, the only thing I can think of is something a screw threaded into (looked like black shroud plastic) that was overtightened and broke off. I doubt it will affect the function of the card, and if it does I'm sure XFX's warranty will take care of it.

The card seems to be built well, love the new shrouded heatsink. The Bat nozzles folks talk about actually may be slightly functional when the main intake is blocked off. The caged fan has slots open in the bottom, and the nozzles open up a free air path to those cutouts. if anyone is really curious I'm willing to test this with some smoke while I cut off airflow with a sheet of paper or something.

Fan noise:

A few things to note, the room this computer is in is REALLY warm, as I write this it's 90F in here due to computer, speaker amps, and other electronical doodads we don't want warming up the rest of the house. A normal room kept around 70-75 degrees would likely lend a much quieter card in most circumstances.

When I first popped the card in and it booted to windows I was a bit dissapointed, it seemd that the fan constantly sped up during the windows login process. While the noise signature of the fan isn't "offensive" it's not particularly pleasant when it ramps up either. Thankfully once the beta 5700 drivers were installed it started behaving itself and idled at a nice 35% fanspeed. In comparison to my passively cooled x1800xl w/accelero s1 the 5770 is almost as quiet. I really have to concentrate to hear it over my other fans at idle and during normal 2d operations.

The real test though would be gaming. I started testing right after installing the card, and hadn't reinstalled my 120mm fan equipped door yet. I'd heard alot about how quiet the new 5000 series were even under load, and figured the side panel fan wouldn't make a big difference with this card. Loading up a few different games with highest settings caused the fan to ramp up quickly to 45% (about as fast as I could get it on auto mode) which is a little loud for my tastes. If your computer has an uncut side door, with some noise insulation on it you probably wouldn't hear it, but mine was wide open so it was noticable. I popped the side panel with the fan back on, and it was night and day. Even when I run the Unigine Heaven benchmark with 8x supersampling to thrash the GPU it only raised the fan speed slightly, to around 41% and with the sidepanel blocking some noise it wouldn't be noticable at all in most situations.

The GPU sits at around 40-43 degrees at idle, and never exceeded 80C at max load. It's quiet enough at those temps that I don't feel compelled to throw an Arctic Cooling wundersink on there just yet. I might put some ramsinks on the topside GDDR5 chips but that's about it for mods.

If you do decide to throw one on, the only power regulation part that seems to need cooling is easy to find. On the factory heatsink there's the space for the GPU and a smaller space cut out for one voltage regulator. Looking at the GPU with the bracket up, it's the small component to the top left of the GPU. If someone decides to install an aftermarket heatsink, you probably want to put a significant heatsink on there just to be safe, the tricky part will be mounting it in place as there aren't any useful mounting holes nearby. If someone could confirm that using no heatsink or even a very tiny heatsink works that would be great.

Supersampling:

To put it shorly, I love this mode. The forementioned "lod bug" is barely noticable during gameplay, and SSAA really helps with the texture aliasing/shimmering. At 1280x1024, 8xSSAA 16xAF the card does struggle a bit in some areas but the framerates are still in the playable range.

While it seems it's mostly GPU related I wouldn't doubt that a much faster CPU could bump my framerates up by 5-10fps, easily pushing into a preferred mode when available. The Unigine Heaven benchmark with tesselation ran at about 20fps avg no AA, enabling 8xSSAA only caused a 5fps drop which I found impressive, I was expecting it to drop into the low single digit range.

Titan Quest runs at around 30-60 FPS in most areas, I did have a few slowdowns during battle but I'm tempted to think that's a case of the CPU not being able to both run the game and feed the GPU at those high settings simultaneously.

Either way it's playable, though I may bump it down to 4x SSAA if I run into some bad spots more often. 4xSSAA looks way better than the old ingame AA+adaptive that I'd been running, and it's much faster. I had been playing on ingame AA+ adaptive AA checked off in the control panel, I found that satisfactory on my x1800 but when I took a real close look after installing the 5770 it looks like in-game AA is only a 2xAA mode, 2xSSAA will FLY in titan quest and unless you're allergic to aliasing like me it's probably ideal in this game.

HL2 episode: not an episode I ran at 8xSSAA+edge detect. For the most part I was at vsync, but in areas with lots of water it did slow down a little, looked great and never hurt playability though so that's gonna be my go-to setting for that game.

If anyone has any questions about the card feel free to ask, I'll test out any game that has a free demo or something available, my current library isn't very large since I was avoiding buying games until I got a good card.

Thanks for the info bro. Do you have any experience with the card at 1920x1200 resolutions and with games such as Dawn of War 2, Demigod, and L4D?

I just received my XFX 5770 today from Newegg. The card and packaging blew me away. One of the nicest hardware packagings I have seen in 14 years of doing computer work.

I only had enough time to pop it in and play a few games, then I had to go ship off some stuff.

I upgraded from a 9600GT, so the difference should be absolutely huge.

The system I am running it on has the following specs:

i5-750 at default clocks.
Gigabyte P55-UD3R motherboard
2x2 A-Data DDR3-1600
1 Terabyte Samsung F1 for OS
Antec Earthwatts 430

If anyone wants me to run certain benchmarks on it let me know. I am off to try out a few games on it right now.

Let me know what resolution you're playing at, what games you're playing, and if there is any noticeable slowdown in the games at your settings? I'd really appreciate it.

Let me know what resolution you're playing at, what games you're playing, and if there is any noticeable slowdown in the games at your settings? I'd really appreciate it.

Will do.

As far as what resolution I play at, I play at 1920x1080 on both my 24" BENQ E2400HD, as well as my 32" 1080P Vizio HDTV.

No experience with 19x12 unfortunately, the reason I went for a 5770 instead of a 5850 is because I wasn't going to upgrade my monitor for at least a year. At my native res (17" 1280x1024, biggest monitor in the house,:D:D ) the 5770 can plow through even at 8x supersampling and edge detect in many games. At 19x12 I'd have gone straight to the 5850 or if I had money burning a hole in my pocket, the 5870 (the big selling point of these cards for me isn't dx11 as much as it is the supersampling now available)

Having played l4d's demo on an x1800xl, the 5770 should do fine with minimal AA settings at 19x12. I didn't find advanced AA modes to add much to the game. The director doesn't let you sit around and admire the scenery, you're WAY too busy running around and shooting stuff to really notice more than 4xMSAA.

No experience with 19x12 unfortunately, the reason I went for a 5770 instead of a 5850 is because I wasn't going to upgrade my monitor for at least a year. At my native res (17" 1280x1024, biggest monitor in the house,:D:D ) the 5770 can plow through even at 8x supersampling and edge detect in many games. At 19x12 I'd have gone straight to the 5850 or if I had money burning a hole in my pocket, the 5870 (the big selling point of these cards for me isn't dx11 as much as it is the supersampling now available)

Having played l4d's demo on an x1800xl, the 5770 should do fine with minimal AA settings at 19x12. I didn't find advanced AA modes to add much to the game. The director doesn't let you sit around and admire the scenery, you're WAY too busy running around and shooting stuff to really notice more than 4xMSAA.

Well, I was hoping maybe I could get away with a 5770 on 19x12, but I guess I'll have to just be patient and wait for the 5850s to get back in stock. Wow man, I didn't know people still played at the resolution you're playing at - not that there's anything wrong with it, I thought almost everyone would have upgraded to a widescreen by now considering the cost of LCD's have dropped tremendously in recent years.

Here's my score. Could you run that bench again at 1280x1024?? Curious to see just how bad this 3800x2 is holding me back.

unigineheaven.jpg

I got the same unigine score with phenom ii x2 545 :p

btw, do somebody has some random frozen screens that makes the driver reboot on Windows7??

I do :(, and I dont know if it is the card, or something with the DVI freq, or drivers issue.

i had some freeze with drivers released date 21 sept, but not with the last beta one...
my uningine bench:
714998uningine.jpg

Should I just pull the trigger on the 5770? You guys think I'll be ok at 1920x1200 playing games such as Demigod, Dow 2, Dragon Age and L4D?

1680x1050 sure, but i don't know for your rez cause i do not have a 24" lcd!

Back