Post pics of your old rig!

y3k

Weaksauce
Post a pic of your old rig up.

If I had a decent camera I'd take a pic of my P3 800 MHz 512MB crucial sdram 64 MB generic graphics and 20 gig maxter hardrive with a 52x generic CDR drive.

I'd love to see some pictures of some older "gaming" rigs.

A friend of mine had a dual Pentium II Falcon Northwest back in the day. Oh the nostalgia.

First computer I actually bought. Gateway P5-166:

crapcomp3.jpg

Originally had a Matrox graphics card, but that was pilfered along with it's two 2GB hard drives awhile ago. :D
crapcomp4.jpg

Second, "budget" computer, an HP Pavilion with a K6-II with 512MB RAM and a Voodoo 3 3000. Y2K safe to boot!

crapcomp2.jpg

Hard drive missing as well as the power supply:
crapcomp.jpg

Lastly and more "recent", my old AMD Athlon XP 3000+, Abit KV7, 768 MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro rig.

oldbusted.jpg

that's nasty inside :eek:
the oldest rig in my home is a P4 socket 478 and that aint that old so...i won't bother :p

It's amazing to see how in a short period of time a PC becomes crap. I remember when Voodoo was the shit and a Pentium 2 was the best thing in the world.

Old compaq. had a p3 667mhz, originally came with 64 megs of ram and onboard graphics. upgraded it to a soundblaster live 5.1 soundcard, aiw radeon pci video card, and 256 megs of sdram. i had a 80gig harddrive in there too but for some reason it didn't work well with the compaq and kept erasing everything. the old computer must not have been able to handle it lol.

DSCF00-1.jpg

next is my athlon xp machine, first computer i ever built. here in 2004 :)

i had 512megs of ram, a 2500+ barton, and a 80 gig drive (probably from the compaq i believe) and a aiw 7500 radeon. agp finally! :D.

DSCF0018.jpg

next is my slightly upgraded athlon xp rig. i got the black version of the silver enermax case i had, upgraded from 2 x 512 corsair value ram to 2 gigs of patriot ddr3200 to 2 gigs of ddr500 G.Skill (still currently using the G.Skill in my current rig). it also had a mobile 2600+ xp chip at 2.4 gigahertz, and a x800xt aiw agp for video, from a 9800pro. i used this setup until i think the middle of 2006. i also got a 19 inch lcd, my first ever. boy what a upgrade it was! i scored it for $339 from newegg. not a bad deal at the time at all! :)

mychair.jpg

my current machines are in my sig. i also have a laptop finally. i'm pretty pleased with the performance both my current computers have :).

Jinx, do you live in the desert?

Maybe at an animal shelter?

I assume this is in reference the that particularly nasty Athlon XP picture. No, but I used to live with 3 cats and 2 dogs. Never opened the case until a week ago to replace a failing DVD-RW drive.

Here's my old Compaq 9232. Its a TANK. Still runs strong. It has singlehandedly outlasted any other computer I have ever owned. They don't build computers like they used to..

133MHz Pentium
40MB EDO RAM
1.2GB Quantum Fireball
CD-ROM (replaced cause the original 4x CD-ROM died :()

Then, onboard video got garbled, so I have to use some ATI Rage 128 card.. oh, and I added 10/100 ethernet too. :D

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

If by "old" you mean in age, then here's the rig I'm currently using. It was built in 2004, my first computer I built, so I guess it's not that old. Its specs are still in my signature. The only new things about this are the mouse (Logitech G5) and the monitor (HP w2207).

MYRIG.JPG

If by "old" you mean in age, then here's the rig I'm currently using. It was built in 2004, my first computer I built, so I guess it's not that old. Its specs are still in my signature. The only new things about this are the mouse (Logitech G5) and the monitor (HP w2207).

MYRIG.JPG

that system still looks nice if you consider it old man :)

Heres my old setup...
oldrigresizeddh1.jpg

insideoldwx4.jpg

I put five chameleon color-changing LED fans in there. It was the most psychedelic thing to show up at a LAN!

BTW I dont think this belongs in the 'case modding' section...

thinkpad700c.jpg

My "old faithful" Thinkpad. I actually still use this baby for most all my large typing jobs...

beast001.jpg

beast002.jpg

My first "beast". I was running 4 25GB SCSI full-size drives.

beast003.jpg

Had to getto-rig two PSU's to get it all to work...

diskarray01.jpg

diskarray02.jpg

Another iteration of the disk array. This time I ran out of space inside the case...

officedrives.jpg

Here is a pretty old shot of my workshop where you can see the disk array in use...

Here's my old Compaq 9232. Its a TANK. Still runs strong. It has singlehandedly outlasted any other computer I have ever owned. They don't build computers like they used to..

133MHz Pentium
40MB EDO RAM
1.2GB Quantum Fireball
CD-ROM (replaced cause the original 4x CD-ROM died :()

Then, onboard video got garbled, so I have to use some ATI Rage 128 card.. oh, and I added 10/100 ethernet too. :D

ohhh man, that was the first computer I ever installed FreeBSD on. It was a tank ... I dropped it down the stairs and nothing happened!

Here are a few of my first computers that I really "used" to do stuff...

Workstation:
IMG_1226.JPG

"File Server"
DSC02411.JPG

(yes, thats a SCSI Full height 36GB drive laying on top of my tape drive ... yes it got used :p)

Webserver
IMG_1229.JPG

Firewall / Router:
DSC02408.JPG

and here's a couple more shots ... ghetto stuff from when I was first getting into computers:
http://www.pyrospheric.net/images/comps/lab.jpg
http://www.pyrospheric.net/images/comps/switches-1.jpg

man ... I'm glad I grew up and got nicer stuff :p

DSCF00071-small.jpg

DSCF00061.jpg

DSCF00261.jpg

dark10.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

P4 2.8 @ 3.4 (3.8 for bench testing)

1GB XMS3200XLP RAM @ 2-2-2-5 (Can't remeber the timing I had it running at but it was 1:1)

Tagan 480W 2Force PSU (fantastic!)

XFX 6800GT @ Ultra

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard

X-FI Sound Card

1 x 80gig IDE hard drive

Sunbeam Transformer Case (Black)

All watercooled.

I still have the Case and PSU so I may make a server out of it and get myself and old 939 X2 of ebay.

This was the only other one I have pics of. My first gaming system was really a BBC Micro and my first real PC (not including the 8086 Amstrad) was a 386 SX 40 with 1 meg ram

[ T ] A C O;1030988840 said:
I thought this was supposed to be an "old case" thread. :eek:

while that doesn't seem old, most of its parts are 3+ years old :eek:

but i am saddend that the he concerns the X2 as old (too bad its true) :(

Old AMD Athlon XP 2500+
256mb
40gb maxtor
nvidia geforce 4
01-20-07_1951.jpg

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
ATI 9800 Pro
512mb ram
80gb seagate
02-08-07_1641.jpg

Dell Dimension 4550
P4 2.4GHZ at 2.8GHZ
512mb DDR 333
ATI Radeon 9550 AGP
40gb maxtor
1023001.jpg

1023003.jpg

Gateway soemthing something 2001
P4 1.8ghz at 2.2ghz
128mb rdram
20gb maxtor
added 80gb maxtor
nvidia geforce 5600 agp

IMG_0305.jpg

one on left
IMG_0302.jpg

Here is my rebuilt win98se gaming rig for old glide/d3d/opengl games, specs are

PIII 1.0ghz (coppermine)
768mb SDRam PC133
Diamond Viper 770 32mb (TNT2)
2x Creative Labs 3D Blaster 12mb (Voodoo 2)
10gb Seagate | 40gb Samsung
16x pioneer DVD | 52x samsung CDR\W 8mb cache
KDS 17" CRT monitor
Future Power 400w PSU (overkill but great price of 20$)

I wish I still had a pic of a Compaq 25MHz Intel 386 Laptop with 9" monochrome LCD. It had dual floppy built in, with a 200MB HD. It was donated to my HS when i was a senior in 2003!

Wish I still had the pix, but I the first computer that I actually really got into was a brand new compaq 486 that I installed the upgrade 486 processor in as well as a reveal sound card/2x cd-rom combo (back when your CD-rom connected directly to the sound card). I remember playing wing commander on it and some other strike fighter game. Oh, and later I added a SCSI external CD drive that you have to use those stupid SCSI cases with.

Don't have pics of REALLY old rigs, I'll try t get some tomorrow though when I visit my garage, but here's some of a kinda old PC (around 3 years old)

Bro's old rat's nest
p5250142largezy8.jpg

After like 20 minutes of wire management, still ugly as hell but better airflow (maybe I should have dusted it out too, woops)
p6030040largewr4.jpg

The ghetto GPU cooler. I dunno how good it worked but it seems like it worked alright
p5250144largece6.jpg

I cry cause my old machine is out in the shed and I dont want to run out there and get it for pix.....

Cyrix 300mhz (YEAH BABY!)
64MB (4x 16MB)
Onboard video, retrofitted with Voodoo2 1000
6gb Seagate drive with a 20x cd-rom
Played Unreal Tournament just fine, kinda jumpy due to low ram

oh yeah, space age man!

My old server setup
Intel Pentium 166
256MB ram (4 x 64)
nVidia TNT-2 64MB
8x cdrw
4x SCSI 8GB

My first real gaming rig:
AMD K6-2 450mhz
512MB Ram (2x 256)
ATI Turbo MaXX (128MB I believe)
Gigabyte board, remember I bought it cause it looked cool
20GB WD and a 20GB Seagate
and I believe I had a Philips 16x cdrw too
case was a generic case that my dad cut the side panel for the window for me and drilled the 92mm fan hole for me too.... I was young..... Diablo 2 was on track to be delayed again, so I think it was 1999, which meant I was..... 15? Wasnt to trust worthy with power tools. But I did spray paint the case, and it actually looked awesome for my first time, it was nice and smooth, did like 4 coats of black, never did clear-coat it. And I still remember this system being low range compaired to the 1ghz machines my UT clan-mates were usen at the time. made me cry!

noiw im 23 and parents still dont trust me with powertools (almost took my thumb off with a metal saw a week before my wedding)

im sorry, but painting that beautiful trinitron flat screen, red, that should be a crime!:( ;) what were you thinking?

I removed the innards and only painted the plastic shell, if that's what you were concerned about... I painted it red to go with the rest of my computer.

My oldest stuff was way back with an Athlon K6 500Mhz, back when overclocking was with DIP switches and the oh so LOVED jumpers. Ugh! BIO's overclocking FTW! Here's something to wrap your mind around to. If the moon landing is true then NASA used hardware that the cheapest blackberry would likely pwn. I say if it's true for various clashing evidence reasons. But conspiracy theory aside, imagine doing anything with 60's era mainframes. I say mainframes because PC's didn't exist :D. When debugging had actual bugs...... Anyone who b*tches about theyr'e PC being slow on a modern system should be IMMEDIATELY sat in front of a 486. :cool:

Wow the memories. I had almost forgotten, but I had an old Packard Bell Pentium computer with a Voodoo II. Looked for it in storage yesterday, but only the motherboard remains, so when I pulled off the heatsink to rescue the Pentium for a chuckle, I got a LOL instead:

winchip2.jpg

It's been so long, I forgot I had replaced the original Pentium ('twas a 200Mhz I believe) for this WinChip 2 that I got for relatively cheap. I just HAD to get in on the 3DNow! action, so upgraded to get some awesome performance. :rolleyes: (Of course, later I just bought a whole new computer with a K6-II as you saw. :eek: )

Back