Post-Overclocked Stability, Reliability

xxaaqq

[H]ard|Gawd
What do you guys think about processors that have been overclocked? I'm not much for it. I like to buy the best bang for the buck... at stock speeds... and just keep it nice and cool and try to make it last. A [H]ard|Forum member (says noobie under his name) is offering up a 3500+ for the price of a new 3200+, and he's overclocked it. Do you think it'll run truly stable and reliably for a long time at stock speeds, or am I just asking for trouble?

it all depends on the voltages and temps it runs at, and for how long. a cpu is gonna die regardless, but us enthusiasts tend to keep temps as low as we can while overvolting, negating the netatives a bit :D

unless horendussly abused (very very high voltages and temps), a CPU that has been overclocked will run just fine at stock speeds (or even overclocked speeds) for far longer than it's a viable mid - high end CPU.

A very general rule of thumb is you can run a chip at stock voltage, at about it's "Max die temp" for around 10 years straight before natural decay and degradation kill the chip.
The lower the temps, the higher the voltage you can run the chip at and expect the same rough life span.

Ive never damaged a cpu by overclocking it, and ive had ALOT of them :) The amount of life taken from the cpu's lifespan is so small that youll never see it before youve already upgraded again. Ive still got an old Celeron 300A that ran for 450mhz basically its entire life, and well? It still works. Overclocking, when done properly, is just as stable as a stock rig.

I also buy the best bang for the buck processors but....
I usually overclock them after they are well burned in.
turn the voltages all the way up and use the hardware doctor type programs to keep an eye on specs.
processors overclock way better as they get older. :eek:

I agree with the other posts here - unless it was abused, it's doubtful that overclocking would damage it or significantly shorten a CPU's life.

That said, you seem to be asking whether you should buy a used CPU from someone on the forums for a savings of about $50? Unless I knew the person, or the person was pretty respected on the forums or had some verifiable background, I'd pay an extra $50 for a new CPU...

Thanks for the thoughts - some things I didn't think of. In the end I kept on my toes and scored a great deal from someone with good Heat.

My concerns stem from my Pentium II, Pentium III days where my computer never seemed quite as stable after overclocking, even after running at stock. And that's mostly why I never do it with current chips - I guess I'm just not [H]ard enough... :(

Back