Possibly thinking of going back to iPhone over Android ?

heh, might I suggest a Symbian phone? Built ground up for mobiles.. the new E7 looks mighty nice..

#1 reason to switch back to iPhone is battery life for me.

To me, Android battery life blows, compared to iOS. I rather support the open OS of Android, I currently have the EVO 4G as well, and it is a fucking joke how short this battery lasts, by lunch time it is dead for me. I actually use it as a phone too, ( I know, what a concept, using a smart phone to make calls :rolleyes: ) I also e-mail my vendors, and text clients, during my business day, and on a super busy day, it is dead almost mid morning, on a slow day, it might possibly last until 4:30 if I am lucky.

You should not have to install a cancer inducing huge battery that bumps out the back, making it a giant brick, that is just ridiculous to have to do that on a brand new phone, something it not right with the OS then ?

I am sort of an anti-Apple guy, but I did have the iPhone3G, I liked it, did not love it, it was ok, but after getting the Nexus-One last year, I thought the iPhone sucked after that. But after having 2 Android phones, and both sucking balls as far as battery life goes, and the OS just feeling a little sluggish and unpolished at times, I might just actually go back to the iPhone, and get the 4, well it would have to be jailbreaked, and use it on T-Mobile, because ATT sucks, and is way too expensive.

Opinions ?

I feel you. My girlfriend got a Droid before I upgraded to a new phone. I messed around with it for a while, but the battery life was awful and the whole OS seemed choppy and just...unrefined? I don't know how to explain it really. It's like going from a nice Korean car to a nice Mercedes. They have a lot of the same features, but the Korean car just feels cheaper in many ways. I ended up getting an iPhone 4 and have no regrets (thanks to jailbreaking!).

As far as carriers go, there's a growing body of rumors that suggest that the iPhone will be introduced to other carriers towards the end of this year/very early next year.

I feel you. My girlfriend got a Droid before I upgraded to a new phone. I messed around with it for a while, but the battery life was awful and the whole OS seemed choppy and just...unrefined? I don't know how to explain it really. It's like going from a nice Korean car to a nice Mercedes. They have a lot of the same features, but the Korean car just feels cheaper in many ways. I ended up getting an iPhone 4 and have no regrets (thanks to jailbreaking!).

As far as carriers go, there's a growing body of rumors that suggest that the iPhone will be introduced to other carriers towards the end of this year/very early next year.

The move from iPhone to Android can be better described as moving from the most refined perfect little red wagon to a pick up truck. One is best in class but the other is a lot more useful.

It's a growing body because that rumor has been going on since the iPhone was first released. The iPhone has been rumored to be on Verizon "within a few months/by the end of the year" for the past 3 or 4 years. At this point there is no way to tell if a rumor has even the tiniest shred of credibility, so they're all bullshit. The iPhone 4 isn't going to be on Verizon this year or next year, nor will it be on any other carrier. If it was, why would other carriers be making custom cases and stuff to hold both an iPod/iPad and a 3G wifi ap?

If the iPhone is moving anywhere, to me T-Mobile seems the most logical choice. Apple doesn't really need to change anything it already works perfectly on a jailbroke unlocked iPhone 4
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

It's a growing body because that rumor has been going on since the iPhone was first released. The iPhone has been rumored to be on Verizon "within a few months/by the end of the year" for the past 3 or 4 years. At this point there is no way to tell if a rumor has even the tiniest shred of credibility, so they're all bullshit. The iPhone 4 isn't going to be on Verizon this year or next year, nor will it be on any other carrier. If it was, why would other carriers be making custom cases and stuff to hold both an iPod/iPad and a 3G wifi ap?

the iPhone is coming to Verizon. This is without question now. The iPad is already here so it's only a matter of time.

Now it might not be the iPhone4, but it will be some variation, probably new to work with the LTE.

If true and Verizon is getting an iPhone in just 2 months. When would the rumors start to become real leaks of Verizon engineers testing them.

Plus will it be the exact same iPhone 4 ? Or a slightly better iPhone 4.5 ? Or a just a iPhone 3GS so not to piss off ATT ?

Last edited:
I contemplated the same, until I rooted my Evo :D
Battery life is around 29hrs on a full charge for me (30min email updates, wifi on all the time, and I have 0-1 bar reception in my work building (fucking ceramic coated windows)

I am running WARM 2.2 RLS3 with Kings #11 and the battery life is FANTASTIC.
Usually im off the charger at 8:30 AM, and by 5PM I still have 60% battery life. After work (no real use), my phone just lasts and lasts forever!
I bought 2 x external chargers and oem batteries off ebay (one for work one for home), and its the shit. No more waiting for my phone to re-charge, just swap batteries and instant recharge :D

With the iphone, no matter how awesome the battery life is I would still have to recharge it. And compared to my EVO, the Iphone 4 feels like a toy with its puny screen :(

the iPhone is coming to Verizon. This is without question now. The iPad is already here so it's only a matter of time.

Now it might not be the iPhone4, but it will be some variation, probably new to work with the LTE.

No, the iPad doesn't run on Verizon. Verizon had to start bundling a 3G wifi ap with the iPad because the iPad doesn't work on Verizon. That indicates that there is *NO* iPhone/iPad on Verizon as far as Verizon knows, otherwise they wouldn't have done the funky bundling thing.

So if anything that is further evidence that the iPhone *ISN'T* coming to Verizon. But regardless, there is *nothing* credible that suggests that the iPhone is coming to Verizon in the near term. To call it "without question" is laughable.

No, the iPad doesn't run on Verizon. Verizon had to start bundling a 3G wifi ap with the iPad because the iPad doesn't work on Verizon. That indicates that there is *NO* iPhone/iPad on Verizon as far as Verizon knows, otherwise they wouldn't have done the funky bundling thing.

So if anything that is further evidence that the iPhone *ISN'T* coming to Verizon. But regardless, there is *nothing* credible that suggests that the iPhone is coming to Verizon in the near term. To call it "without question" is laughable.

Doesn't matter the device is still being sold via Verizon. If you don't think that's big I can't help you.

I can't look right now but there's definitely credible evidence out there to support the fact that iPhone will hit Verizon.

Doesn't matter the device is still being sold via Verizon. If you don't think that's big I can't help you.

I can't look right now but there's definitely credible evidence out there to support the fact that iPhone will hit Verizon.

I agree that the iPhone for sure will be going to other carriers, that is 100% the truth, no arguing. The question is, when ?

This January to Verizon ? That is just 2 months away, I would think we would see engineer samples leaked, or some strong rumors, other than stock guys and annalists writing about it. So I highly doubt that there will be a brand new iPhone on Verizon in a couple of months, there is no credible leaks, or photos, nothing.

If I had to guess, it would not be until the annual iPhone launch, in June. But will that be June 2011, or June 2012 ?

OF COURSE that matters, it is a *HUGELY* important point. Verizon is selling a wifi-only iPad. Why does that imply they will start support the iPhone or a 3G iPad? It doesn't, not even close. It really means quite the opposite. It means they *WON'T* be getting the iPhone or 3G iPad, otherwise they wouldn't be doing the bundling crap.

It isn't like Apple is supporting it in any way. Verizon is simply an iPad retailer, just like Best Buy. Why? Because Verizon wants your money. Sprint is doing the same thing, by the way, bundling an iPad (and now iPod) with their 3G wifi hotspot and custom case.

I agree that the iPhone for sure will be going to other carriers, that is 100% the truth, no arguing. The question is, when ?

It isn't even 10% truth at this point. There is *zero* credible information that even suggests that the iPhone will end up on Verizon. My money is on "never". If Apple hasn't gone CDMA by now, they aren't going CDMA.

There is no way in hell Apple keeps the iPhone on ATT forever no way. Eventually it will move to another carrier or multiple. That could be next year, 5 years or 10 years. But someday for sure it will be offered elsewhere.

I have yet to have my Captivate die, just a few close calls really really late at night. Always good to drain the battery and charge it back to full sometimes, then again I never hear anything good about Evo battery life.

Blackberry battery life is fucking magical, my Curve 8900 would go for a days with no charge.

I own a Captivate too, and I've been really impressed by the battery life. I send 100+ texts and emails a day, make about an hour's worth of calls, browse the web at least an hour or so. And I've got the screen brightness cranked up. All that and it still usually lasts through the second day if I forget to charge it overnight.

OF COURSE that matters, it is a *HUGELY* important point. Verizon is selling a wifi-only iPad. Why does that imply they will start support the iPhone or a 3G iPad? It doesn't, not even close. It really means quite the opposite. It means they *WON'T* be getting the iPhone or 3G iPad, otherwise they wouldn't be doing the bundling crap.

It isn't like Apple is supporting it in any way. Verizon is simply an iPad retailer, just like Best Buy. Why? Because Verizon wants your money. Sprint is doing the same thing, by the way, bundling an iPad (and now iPod) with their 3G wifi hotspot and custom case.

It isn't even 10% truth at this point. There is *zero* credible information that even suggests that the iPhone will end up on Verizon. My money is on "never". If Apple hasn't gone CDMA by now, they aren't going CDMA.

Sprint and Verizon... the only CDMA providers in the states? Let me ask you this. With the inevitable rollout of LTE (which isn't CDMA anymore... right?) why would they redesign the iPad to create a CDMA version when they won't do that for the iPhone. That's the whole reason there's no Verizon iPhone yet, because they don't want to make a CDMA version.

So. You will see an LTE version of the iPhone on Verizon when there's been enough of a rollout and it's proven.

Now their original plans were to have 38 major locations with LTE by the end of the year, but I heard that might be pushed back. But I'm fairly confident that it will happen next year.

There is no way in hell Apple keeps the iPhone on ATT forever no way. Eventually it will move to another carrier or multiple. That could be next year, 5 years or 10 years. But someday for sure it will be offered elsewhere.

Forever? Probably not, sure. But why are we talking about that? In 1,000 years I predict Apple won't even exist anymore :p

Sprint and Verizon... the only CDMA providers in the states? Let me ask you this. With the inevitable rollout of LTE (which isn't CDMA anymore... right?) why would they redesign the iPad to create a CDMA version when they won't do that for the iPhone. That's the whole reason there's no Verizon iPhone yet, because they don't want to make a CDMA version.

So. You will see an LTE version of the iPhone on Verizon when there's been enough of a rollout and it's proven.

Now their original plans were to have 38 major locations with LTE by the end of the year, but I heard that might be pushed back. But I'm fairly confident that it will happen next year.

So we'll see one in, what, 10 years? Heck, 2 of the 3 major networks still don't even have a mostly 3G network (Sprint and AT&T). By the time Verizon has a mostly LTE network we'll be on the iPhone 8 or something.

Unless you think Verizon is going to sell a phone that spends 99% of its time roaming. Which I guess they might, they'll just jack the plan cost up to compensate and idiots will still pay it.

Forever? Probably not, sure. But why are we talking about that? In 1,000 years I predict Apple won't even exist anymore :p

So we'll see one in, what, 10 years? Heck, 2 of the 3 major networks still don't even have a mostly 3G network (Sprint and AT&T). By the time Verizon has a mostly LTE network we'll be on the iPhone 8 or something.

Unless you think Verizon is going to sell a phone that spends 99% of its time roaming. Which I guess they might, they'll just jack the plan cost up to compensate and idiots will still pay it.

Whatever man.

All this stupid arguing and nobody bothers to mention the exclusivity contract apple has with ATT until 2012....

The iphone is not going anywhere this year or next.

Apple will for sure be selling a future iPhone on a different carrier, and not in 10+ years :rolleyes: I really foresee either Verizon or T-Mobile getting it soon, possibly June 2011, but I would think by June 2012, for sure, because by then the ATT & Apple contract will have expired.

I don't see it happening in January like so many have been saying, that is way to close with no real solid leaks out yet. June has always been the iPhone month, so lets wait until next Summer, and it might be coming to a 2nd carrier then.

Thanks for the reply. So is the iPhone4 really that much better on battery life ? Can it last a whole day, with tons of phone calls, e-mailing, texting, etc...

I thought I heard that a new jailbreak was coming soon, and it would work on T-Mobile ?

Yes, it is that good. Better than any phone out there right now. I thought it was bullshit until I got my IP4 and it's been nearly 2 days without a recharge. Pretty nice.

The move from iPhone to Android can be better described as moving from the most refined perfect little red wagon to a pick up truck. One is best in class but the other is a lot more useful.

What does Android do, stock for stock, that iPhone doesn't? Let's not get into rooting/jailbreaking.

What does Android do, stock for stock, that iPhone doesn't? Let's not get into rooting/jailbreaking.

To name a few:

1) Notifications that aren't popups, allowing for useful things like the ability to download files in the background and easily check their progress

2) A useful homescreen - widgets ftw!

3) The ability to replace native apps with 3rd party ones. Be it replacement home screens, replacement keyboards (swype, anyone?), replacement apps (browser, email, whatever), etc...To clarify that last one, I mean in that the system allows you to actually pick what YOU want the default to be. I know iPhone has Skyfire, for example, but on Android I can actually set Skyfire to be the default browser, so that clicking a link in gmail or whatever launches skyfire instead of the Android browser. This is true for all apps.

4) Flash

You said "let's not get into rooting/jailbreaking", but you don't need to root Android to still put it ahead of a jailbroken iPhone in terms of raw functionality. In fact, the only thing I can think of to even use root for at all is to get free wifi tethering if your carrier happened to lock that out of the stock rom.

Not on Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer batteries. Pro tip: http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/five-tips/?p=289&tag=rbxccnbtr1
That article repeats what samsung and apple both advise to do with their batteries: full drain at least once a month.

The main problem with my Captivate (and so far any android phone I've seen) is that draining the battery completely is unavoidable unless I have it sitting on a charger all day or plug it in every couple hours.

Even at their worst my iPhones blew the Captivate's battery life out of the stratosphere.

That article repeats what samsung and apple both advise to do with their batteries: full drain at least once a month.

The main problem with my Captivate (and so far any android phone I've seen) is that draining the battery completely is unavoidable unless I have it sitting on a charger all day or plug it in every couple hours.

Even at their worst my iPhones blew the Captivate's battery life out of the stratosphere.

That's funny, I just got 16 hours of moderate use out of my Captivate yesterday. This includes about 4 hours worth of playing Angry Birds.

That's funny, I just got 16 hours of moderate use out of my Captivate yesterday. This includes about 4 hours worth of playing Angry Birds.

4 hours of Angry Brids?

Anyway, I've been on a lot of phones over the course of the last year. I've had experience with iOS, WebOS, and Android. The 3gs and Moto Droid had the best battery life out of all the phones I've tried. My Incredible is doing almost as good now, BUT I've rooted it, installed optimized kernels, ROMs, and purchased a higher capacity battery that maintains the same form factor.
Honestly my iPhone 3gs did better but not much better, but it had a much smaller battery than my 1750 and 1500mAh batteries. I don't run or believe in task killers. I just use my phone and now I get home with about 70% battery and have around 20-30% left when I got to bed. This is acceptable to me.
People argue over Apples implementation and methods but I think it's working very well for them and their target audience. They have a device that has gained wide spread adoption from grandma down to grandchild. Their products appeal to the tech geek and the non-geek. It's intuitive and powerful. It may not be as robust as Android, but I'd argue that it's not as cumbersome and doesn't require as much of a learning curve. My wife could easily pickup my iPhone and use it, but now she picks up her new Droid 2 and is struggling with it.
If the OP or anyone else wants to switch from Android to iOS then I say more power to them. At the end of the day we all values different attributes and for some iOS wins, others prefer Android, and yet others will prefer different alternatives like WebOS/Windows Phone 7/Blackberry/Symbian/etc...
Knowing that I carry a computer around on my hip that is more powerful than my home built PC from a decade ago is pretty fraking cool. Enjoy what you choose and carry on because what is right for me may not be right for you.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yes, it is that good. Better than any phone out there right now. I thought it was bullshit until I got my IP4 and it's been nearly 2 days without a recharge. Pretty nice.

Yep. Having come from Android, this was the most compelling thing. I can actually REALLY use the phone and not have to worry about finding a charger or having one @ my desk during the work day.

Yep. Having come from Android, this was the most compelling thing. I can actually REALLY use the phone and not have to worry about finding a charger or having one @ my desk during the work day.

Have you guys jailbroke your iPhone 4's ? I think the only downfall on the i4, is if the battery does indeed die, your F'd, because you can not just throw in another battery. But then again, how many people carry extra batteries with them all day ?

Why don't you just pick up 2-3 spare batteries and a wall charger to help get your phone through the day? It's the most simple, logical solution...after all, what's the point of a user replaceable battery if you aren't going to replace it?

Maybe the Evo just sucks. I consistently get 16+ hours per charge with heavy use. I never even get the opportunity to use my spare batteries :p

It's a growing body because that rumor has been going on since the iPhone was first released. The iPhone has been rumored to be on Verizon "within a few months/by the end of the year" for the past 3 or 4 years. At this point there is no way to tell if a rumor has even the tiniest shred of credibility, so they're all bullshit. The iPhone 4 isn't going to be on Verizon this year or next year, nor will it be on any other carrier.

The iPad just went to Verizon. It's not all just bullshit. Feel free to eat your words by the end of early next year.

If it was, why would other carriers be making custom cases and stuff to hold both an iPod/iPad and a 3G wifi ap?

Gee I don't know, maybe because they're ramping up for the iPhone?

The iPad just went to Verizon. It's not all just bullshit. Feel free to eat your words by the end of early next year.

Gee I don't know, maybe because they're ramping up for the iPhone?

Don't waste your time.

Is the iTampon I mean iPad really officially for sale through Verizon ? Or just the 3G service and misc accessories ?

I will say that, yes the iPhone will for sure 100% be going to a 2nd new carrier in the future. But is that 2011, 2012, or 5 years from now, who know but Steve HandJobs. The rumors of this January seem very unlikely, because there have been zero credible leaks from engineers, or drunks leaving the iPhone 4.5 from Verizon on the bar room floor.

Thanks for the reply. So is the iPhone4 really that much better on battery life ? Can it last a whole day, with tons of phone calls, e-mailing, texting, etc...

Anand's recent review of the Windows 7 phones has battery life comparisons with most of the major smartphones out there. The iPhone 4 has phenomenal battery life. It will also be way way faster than your old 3G.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3982/windows-phone-7-review/28

25168.png

25169.png

25171.png

Then there is the fact that iOS isn't a half baked OS like Android is in its current incarnation, it doesn't require rooting and modifying and wiping out of carrier specific modifications to make it somewhat usable, and that iOS has a much wider and deeper selection of useful applications.

If you're a nerd that wants to "stick it to Apple" for weird ideological reasons while in the process punishing yourself with Android, or if AT&T doesn't make sense where you live for reception issues, then get an Android.

I for one am annoyed that the Windows 7 phones are only available on AT&T at the moment. It would be nice for people on other carriers to have a more user friendly smartphone alternative that isn't an Android, but here we are.

Point taken. I didn't know there were two different versions. A 3G and MiFi. So yeah I guess this means nothing.

Back