Possibly OC'ing my upcoming Skylake build. I have questions.

RareAir23

Limp Gawd
Hi all. As my previous posts have mentioned I am going to be doing a Skylake build in February to replace my aging X58/Nehalem build. I am going with a Core i7 6700K with a Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 7 mobo. I haven't decided with this build (aside from using the XMP profile for the memory kit I get) if I'm going to straight OC the CPU. I already know 3 things with this board before OC'ing. 1. Flash the BIOS to latest stable version. 2. Disable the onboard video controller on the CPU. 3. Install Windows and install all drivers before OC'ing the CPU. I figured those 2 things out from my research so far.

A couple of questions remain though I feel I need to ask: Question 1: I am a total rookie to truly OC'ing a CPU. Never done it before. If I OC I only want to OC to 4.5GHz which I feel should be good enough for a 1st OC and with the CPU/mobo combo it appears to be quite stable at that range. Therefore, by the experience of all here who have worked with the CPU/mobo I mention what is the best combo of multiplier change and voltage change to achieve 4.5GHz in a stable manner? 2. If I OC the CPU can I still use the XMP profile of my memory simultaneously or can I use only 1 or the other at one time? Thanks in advance for answers and advice. Out!

Choose your memory carefully.
I bought Corsair Vengeance LPX and it wont do rated speed.
I would get GSkill Ripjaws V if buying now.

Voltage needed will vary, you need to find what works for you.
To start with, dont use the XMP profile on your memory.
Find what is a good stable setup for your CPU and then find if your memory is good enough.
Good memory should work fine but the quality of the CPU itself can have an effect, as can compatibility with the motherboard and its BIOS.

Multiplier change is simple.
45x for 4.5GHz.

I'd recommend g skill trident z DDR 4 first with g skill rip jaw v second (I own both).

I have xmp on for both of my 6700k systems. I don't know why people say not to at least try XMP. Id say try XMP first and if that doesn't work then set manually. Obviously XMP is easier when it works so might as well try it

Only 1 system is over locked, I have it over locked with adaptive to 4.7 (v core is 1.4) and my trident z ram is running at full speed at 3200.

If you have adequate cooling and a good chip overclocking is quite simple. I had 1 chip that wasn't stable at STOCK with 4 sticks of ram but the 4.7 chip is good one.

I typed this out on my phone and autocorrect screws this up but you get the jist

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all. Thanks for the answers and advice so far. Both people who have responded to this thread so far have asked what memory kit I'll be getting for my Skylake build. Well, I've always trusted Corsair, Kingston HyperX or Mushkin Enhanced more than any other brands of memory period. There's one of 2 kits I'll be getting for my system (both equaling 32GB). First the Kingston HyperX Savage 32GB DDR4-2666 RAM kit at link below:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104613

or the Mushkin Enhanced Redline 32GB DDR4-2666 RAM kit shown at link below:

http://poweredbymushkin.com/index.php/catalog/item/5-redline/1230-994200t.html

I had to use Mushkin's link instead of Newegg's because Newegg doesn't have this kit in stock right now and haven't had it in stock since mid-November 2015.

And I've thought about it for the last 2-3 days, all the threads I see here on HardForum of Z170 users having so much of a hard time with memory on practically every Z170 board you can possibly buy. I think a lot of issues come from 2 things: Cause 1: Many DDR4 kits we see on the market right now are quad-channel kits meant only to run on X99 chipsets and weren't designed for the dual-channel system of Z170 and therefore cannot do both. Cause 2: The constant evolution of Z170 and having to realize the tech hasn't truly caught up with the stability curve it needs to have. With most every board I've researched of Z170 I've seen 2 things that come into play here with that notion: every board has a limited qualified memory list of some kind or another. Also, every board is still getting quick strike releases of their BIOS to more mature the chipset and the functionality of the mobos.

I think down the road for memory stability on Z170 you're going to see a combination of 2 things happen: 1. many quad-channel DDR4 kits are going to be pulled by manufacturers off the market and re-certified for Z170 and then re-released and/or BIOS' will see their memory compatibility become most robust as the platform matures. To finish I've got my sights set on HyperX Savage kit more than the Mushkin because the memory kit is X99 and Z170 certified at release and seems to be faster RAM altogether. That's all from me. Keep the responses coming guys and gals. Out!

I had tons of trouble with Kingston ddr4. I'd never recommend Kingston. I've never bought mushkin but you have 2 people telling you g skill so if you buy and your ram doesn't work right then Im not sure.

Corsair dominator ddr4 sucks for z170 by the way, same as Kingston. People have had a ton of trouble with corsair ddr4 on z170.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again. mls1995 and Nenu, I took your tips and looked at G.Skill's RipJaws V DDR4-2666 32GB kit (4X8GB) on Newegg. For the price ($209.99) it is an impressive kit and the user reviews are solid too. It definitely will give me something to think about before February when I order my CPU and memory. I also looked at a review of the HyperX Savage 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4-2666 kit that's similar to the kit I was looking at. Link below:

http://proclockers.com/reviews/memo...b-2x8gb-ddr4-2666mhz-memory-review?nopaging=1

I found it interesting they did the review with the mobo I'll be using for my build (how often does one run into that?). It scored an 8/10. It worked with XMP profile but don't try to OC it according to ProClockers past it's XMP profile settings. The memory won't like it. Anyhow, there's time between now and then and if I go G.Skill I'll be using their Ripjaws V kit mentioned above. Thanks and until next time I am out!

Something of note.
The early reviews of the Ripjaws V showed exceptional overclocking that blew me away tbh.
I embarrassed myself in one thread because I made the claim there is little point in checking an overclocking review because none of them overclock and that review had a mental overclock.
But since then quite a few reviews have appeared that get a much smaller overclock so its either pot luck or early review samples were better.

However, its still an overclock which shows that it can hold its rated speed without effort.
Whereas my Corsair LPX 3000MHz ram will run at 2700MHz for gaming but is only rock stable under test at 2500MHz. A very poor show.

on my i3 skylake build I used Gskill Trident Z PC3000 and I've been very happy. After bios update will do the XMP setting and then some(overclock).

on my i3 skylake build I used Gskill Trident Z PC3000 and I've been very happy. After bios update will do the XMP setting and then some(overclock).

yeah my Trident Z DDR4 works full speed at 3200 at XMP. Zero problems. Plus, it's sexy as hell (for RAM).

Running G.Skill Ripjaw V at XMP 3200 without issues. Although, i'm only using 2 sticks.

Hi all. Thanks for the further advice. So towards the 2 questions I posed from the beginning...answer to question 1 is the multiplier clock I'll need is at 45X over 100MHz base clock. But voltage will vary by chip. Is that correct? Also, it seems most people can run XMP profile on their memory and OC the CPU at the same time. Success just varies by memory I purchase. Would this also be correct? Keep the answers and advice coming. Thanks and until next time I am out!

Yes for the mostpart.
The memory overclock and CPU overclock are independent until you start pushing very hard.
One should not affect the other.
Although it is 'possible' that there could be a small effect on each other, but their should be way enough headroom on the memory to prevent problems.

The reason I mentioned not using the XMP profile while overclocking the CPU is so you can see what the CPU can do independently of the memory, in case the memory is fooked.
Most people dont fully stability test their system until they have finished overclocking or are close to finishing.

Back