Possibly Dying PSU

GoC_Derek

Weaksauce
I have a 700w OCZ GameXstream PSU that's SLI rated. I've had it for years. Picked it up used from a buddy when I originally did SLI, since mine wasn't strong enough. This was back in about 2008. It's been fine ever since. Recently I started having SLI issues. I've been SLIing my GTX 460s since October with no issue, and had them overclocked. About a month ago, the issue started. I tried enabling SLI and the NVIDIA control panel stopped working and I've tried everything, and no luck. More info can be found here - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1702077 but my theory is that the PSU can't power SLI anymore. But also within the last few days, when I turn my computer on, my LED fans light up and spin, then shut off, then spin, then shut off. So I have to push the button again.

Any thoughts?

I figured the fans turning off and on were PSU related, but do you think the SLI is related as well? NVIDIA control panel stops working, messes my resolution up, and I can't use SLI. Tried different drivers, cleaning them off, new installs, new bridge, swap cards.

Thanks

Is this the kind of issue where my computer won't turn on at all if I don't fix it? Or could it die and kill other hardware?

PSU is out of warranty. Has been since I got it actually, lol. Friend replaced the fan before giving it to me, so the warranty has been void. I'll gladly go pick up a new PSU, but I'm just wondering if this will fix my SLI issue, heh.

Thanks

It was a bit harder to turn on the computer today. Kept pushing the button and only the fans would turn on and off. I'm probably going to remove one of the GPUs, maybe a fan or two (have 4-5 running), and maybe a hard drive or two (have 4 drives running, 1 SSD, then backup, main files, games, etc). Should I pickup a PSU tester, or will that not tell me anything new, since I know it's a PSU issue?

Just stop beating around the bush, and go grab yourself a brand new corsair or seasonic PSU. Why are you fighting so hard NOT to do it?

Tight on cash right now, but I can buy a nice PSU if need be. Just want to be assured it's the issue, although it most likely is.

Thanks

If a friend has a powerful enough PSU for you to borrow then do so and try it. Otherwise it sounds like a PSU issue and could potentially damage other components when it goes. Given the age of the PSU it is most likely the culprit...

Wow. This sounds scarily like my situation last christimas. I had a 600w version though.

Those gameXtreame psu are just crap. They all start to fail after about 3 years.

I fixed my SLI issue. It was an issue with Windows activation. I'm still going to look into picking up a new PSU.

I fixed my SLI issue. It was an issue with Windows activation. I'm still going to look into picking up a new PSU.

Go with the above recommendations, Corsair TX or HX, or Seasonix PSUs (X650 or X750 Gold) are good quality power supplies.

A good 650W PSU will be fine for your 2x 460s, but if you play on upgrading those to another dual card setup later, go for a 750W.

EDIT: I also highly doubt it was a Windows Activation issue since you're having cold boot problems...

Well I found a post on a forum that some guy had the same SLI issue, and used DAZ loader, and fixed the issue and enabled SLI. I tried it, and it worked flawlessly. I am however still having the boot issue, but now another issue has occurred. Starting yesterday, I came home, woke my computer up, and it was at the lock/login screen. I couldn't unlock since the computer froze. I restarted, and then had an issue getting back to my desktop. It kept loading up until the Windows load screen, then a quick BSOD would appear, then it'd boot up again, recommend I go into Windows recovery or something so it can scan, which I tried, and it found nothing. Then after a little while of restarting, it went back to my login screen which had froze, and I loaded up where I left off with no issue after that.

Until this morning, where I'm having the same booting issue. BSOD after Windows loading screen. The restarting of the fans and stuff when I push the button seems to happen after its been off a while. I turned it on today after having it on 5 hours ago, and it started right up. But every morning I have to push the button several times.

I'm about to go out and buy a PSU. Do you think it'll fix my new issue as well?

Wanted to give an update.. I turned my computer on today, first thing this morning, and instead of pushing the button several times while the fans go off and on, it started right up. Had the BSOD after the Windows screen, but it quickly went into CHK DSK afterwards, and scanned my drives, I went to get some coffee, came back, I was at my desktop.. I have about 4 drives connected. My main SSD, a secondary for games and files, a backup I access periodically, and an old drive I used when I first reinstalled and had to transfer saves over and never disconnected. Could that have anything to do with it? Possibly a dying drive? Or could it be my SSD? It's an OCZ Vertex 2, bought it last year in May-ish, then it failed in July, got a replacement, and has been fine thus far.

Thoughts?

Test all of your hard drives.

Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test works very well for this.

YES, it very well die and take other hardware out with it. You've been pushing the envelope as it is with only 700watts with dual 460s.... time for a new, bigger PSU Bro :)

Well my issue kinda fixed itself. I only have two drives plugged in, and I'm not getting any BSOD after the Windows logo anymore. I am however having the power button issue again. It did go away for a little while and now came back. I'm also not experiencing any issues during gaming or while browsing. No power shut downs or anything.

Sounds like the typical symptoms of a PC that has been powered by a PSU that is based on the original FSP Epsilon platform: That platform really cannot deliver more than about 500W without its DC ripple going out of the ATX spec. And it's this excessive, out-of-spec ripple that's been killing some of the components of your PC.

Just to let you all know, I bought an Antec 750W High Current PSU. Right away it fixed my on/off issue, so I'm sure this issue has now been fixed.

Thanks all!

Yeah, now hope that OCZ PSU didn't damage your parts.

How would I know if it damaged anything? Everything has been running fine. Even when the OCZ took a while to start, I never had any issues while gaming or anything. Both my cards are still working, not getting any weird crashing, or any crashes. All my hard drives are still accessible. The OCZ was probably on the verge of dying or damaging, if I had to guess.

Thanks again

Back