possible to tell if 360 (slim, 4gb) has been modded?

pookguy88

Gawd
I just bought a used 4gb Slim and I'm wondering if there's a way to tell if it's been modded? I can log in to xbox live right now but don't have the gold membership yet.. it's been ages since I've been on Xbox and just want to make sure I've got a clean console, is there any sure fire way to tell?

Also, I have a 20gb 360 that's been sitting in the basement, that one HAS been modded but it's never been on Xbox Live since it was modded, can I put the 20gb hdd from that one into my slim?

Thanks!

There is no physical way to know. I haven’t done it but my coworkers have. They flash the disc drive so it can read backups. It’s all software so unless you take your 360 apart and plug it in a PC and have the right programs to read it, you can’t tell.

That’s about all I know. I couldn’t even tell you the names of the programs. I stay away from that stuff since I like to play online and don’t want to get banned.

Easiest way to tell is to pop a backup disc in and see if it loads. I assume you might have some since you said the 20gb one is modded. If you do, hope its a "clean" backup to not trigger anything bad on the Slim.

Other than that, you'd have to pull the drive out and go through a few programs to figure something out.

This won't hurt either, so check the stickers on the back of the console. See if they show signs of being tampered or touched. One of them needs to be removed or damaged to even open a Slim case because of a hidden tab. Some people use a pin/needle so they don't have to remove the sticker. Also if you opened it completely there should be a white circle sticker over a screw that was mostly tamper proof. I never touched or even opened a Slim so I can't be of much more help.

To put you 20gig drive in, you have strip the physical drive out of the enclosure and thne you can put the bare drive into the back of the slim. You will need to find a way of supporting it however. I used some foam cut to size and haven't had a problem. Personally though if I was coming from a 20gig, I would just pay the 100$ for the 250gig that is designed to work. I was coming from a 120gig, so the size increase wasn't enought to justify the price.

To put you 20gig drive in, you have strip the physical drive out of the enclosure and thne you can put the bare drive into the back of the slim. You will need to find a way of supporting it however. I used some foam cut to size and haven't had a problem. Personally though if I was coming from a 20gig, I would just pay the 100$ for the 250gig that is designed to work. I was coming from a 120gig, so the size increase wasn't enought to justify the price.

What is the foam for? Is that to make sure the HDD doesn't move around in there? Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I've been wondering if I needed a hard drive enclosure if I were to add a hard drive to my Slim 4 GB.

OP: The easiest way to find out is to check the back of the console and see if there are signs of tampering(stickers, screwdriver marks?). Also, as someone mentioned, popping in a backup disc can also show you if it has been modded or not.

just like the original 360, MS placed the HD in a custom enclosure and built the xbox to only work with drives in the custom inclosure and also formatted for use in the 360. the old inclosures are not compatible with the new slim design. the new drives now resie in an opening in the bottom of the "foot" behind a platic cover. a bare drive will snap into the elecrical conacts, but needs supported if the console is laid flat, thus the foam.

2011-10-06161100.jpg

2011-10-06161107.jpg

the 4gb slim does not have a drive installed, it has a built in 4gb storage on the mainboard and pops up as a MU. the HD bay is open on them. the 120/250/320gig models don't have the 4gb on the mainboard and come with a HD in the bay already, though it is removable to be upgraded later

I bought an enclosure for a 60gb hard drive from an older xbox and used it in my slim. It came from China and took a month but was only about $8

Back