Possible new build 5k budget - any feedback or suggestions

brennok

[H]ard|Gawd
I am finally after about 8 years looking to put together a new build to replace my I7-4770K. The 4090 is somewhat of a placeholder for now. I want to mess with Stable Diffusion which I have read isn't great on AMD cards, but I don't know how long that interest will last. It will also serve as my gaming rig to try some of the free games I have been collecting from Epic over the past 8 years along with I currently have Microsoft's Ultimate Game Pass for another 2 years.

Currently have an old BenQ XL2420TE I will probably use til I find a monitor I want to use as a replacement which I realize any of the higher end cards will be extreme overkill with only 1080p 144hz.

I don't know if Seasonic is still as good as they used to be and same with Corsair for memory.

Any suggestions or feedback? Budget is really only this high since I kept stashing money away since my last build. I would prefer not to spend it all and the idea of spending 1600 on a GPU is tough to swallow since I don't know I will get the use out of it. Usually I build new or upgrade about every 3-4 years and this is the first time it has been this long.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor ($418.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($119.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS MASTER EATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($449.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL40 Memory ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($1599.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Torrent ATX Mid Tower Case ($189.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME PX-1300 1300 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($309.89 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($159.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $3707.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-10-19 14:01 EDT-0400

CPU: I don't know Stable Diffusion or like apps and how they perform on Intel vs. AMD, P vs. E-cores. For gaming the AMD X3D units still generally have the advantage, but the Intels are fine too.

CPU Cooler: The current higher-end Intel CPUs suck a lot of power and run hot. I feel a closed-loop AIO is a better choice. But if you really prefer a tower that Noctua is probably the best choice. Also consider getting the Thermalright retention frame either way.

Mainboard: Probably fine, on the expensive side. Is it really providing you anything that a less expensive unit can't?

RAM: Corsair is a fine brand, but that selection is maybe a little on the slower side. Going through the PC Part Picker list I see some G.Skill 6000 CL 32 for about the same price. Just make sure to get the XMP stuff for an Intel system, not EXPO (AMD).

SSDs: The SN850X is a top choice. Not sure why you also have a 990 Pro listed. Either get the 4 TB SN850X, or two of the 2 TB units.

GPU: As you noted, huge overkill for a 1080p display. Since it seems the budget allows, maybe it's time for a 4k display? Added bonus is you can up the OS scaling and text will be that much cleaner. If you plan to stick with the current display then a RTX4070 is more than sufficient, no idea how it performs relative to the 4090 in Stable Diffusion and the like and if the difference makes any kind of material difference to you.

Case: Great choice for air cooling, but if you do end up switching to an AIO then not as good and something like the Meshify/Define series, Corsair 4000/5000, or similar would be better.

PSU: Seasonic is still a top brand. A 1300 w unit seems like overkill, you could probably save a bit knocking down to a 1000 W unit and still have plenty of headroom.

Thanks I forgot about the Thermalright frame. I have it saved on an Amazon Wishlist, but didn't see a spot on PCbuilder to add it.

Mobo for me is always a tough one and I always struggle with my choice. A lot of it is thinking I will end up doing a bunch of stuff I never end up doing. I know I will end up filling most of the M.2 slots and then adding 4 drives since I always have spare drives laying around from upgrading my Synology. I don't need wifi, but it seems like just every board includes it. It has just been so long I don't know what I need and don't need. My eyes just start to glaze when comparing features lol.

I went with two drives since it was cheaper for 4TB, but price per TB isn't that much more so may opt for the 4TB instead. I keep bouncing back and forth between the two models but will more than likely just go with one.

I figure monitor will be a Xmas present especially since it is one of those things I always take forever to decide on. I wouldn't be surprised though if the upgrade itch comes even quicker though once I have everything setup.

I did toy with the Meshify XL since I usually end up filling my case with drives

Back