possible 6800GT freezing problems

JonnyK

2[H]4U
since i installed my GT, i have tried it oc'd and not oc'd, when i play games like bf vietnam and ut2k4, after a while of playing, 5 mins to 30 mins from the times i have played, the game will totally freeze and i have to hard restart. anyone heard of problems with the card.

amd athlon xp 2500 @ 3200 speeds
pny geforce 6800gt
512 mb pc3200
asus a7n8x-x
61.72 drivers (are these the best ones currently?)

after it was freezing i put the card back down to normal clock speeds, after that bf just crashed to desktop but ut still froze. i also just reformatted my C: drive, all system files and apps, while leaving my other drive with only games/mp3's on it. i had small problems with the games on the other hd not working, but i reinstalled the ones that weren't working. so i don't think that is my problem. any ideas?

I have experianced this also but I was blaming my case temps they rise high during load ingames. Farcry after acouple of hours gives me horrible artifacts if im OC'd due to temps. I might have to return the card and get something else in return if I don't get a better case soon.

i'm pretty sure that my temps are fine. i have two fans on the back of my case, one in the side window, psu, and one in the front, it's a chieftec dragon tower. i have never had any overheating problems, i'm using stock cooling on my 6800 (i think everyone is still) and i have a volcano 11 on my athlon. anyone else had problems with games locking up?

seems to be happening only in multiplayer, i went into a 64 player bot game for bf vietnam and nothing happened after about 15 mins, after that time i got bored. i'll have to go into some ut2k4 games in a while here and see if it does it again.

This is not normal behavior for the card. Either it is defective, was damaged during overclocking, or is overheating.

how's the quality of your power supply?

I cant tell you how many problems I've experienced with customers' machines that eventually were led to either cheap or bad power supplies.

my powersupply is pretty good i think. i planned on buying an antec true blue one sometime, but this one has been working fine. it came with my chieftec case from newegg. 450 watt i believe, some people who ordered the case said they had doa power supplies but then a lot of people said they were fine. possibly unreliable, but i was using the same power supply with my radeon 9500, wouldn't it have caused the same problem? and i also don't see how a power supply could cause the computer to lock up, wouldn't something like that cause it to shut down?

also, the temps. i run at 52c idle, and it says in the config stuff for the card, it won't take any action to prevent overheating untill it hits 120c. i don't think it could get up that high just from being under load.

JonnyK said:
wouldn't something like that cause it to shut down?

absolutely not.

a power supply thats either too weak or on its way out will cause all kinds of problems but will hardly ever just shut a machine down. thats not how it works....

see, when a CPU isnt getting enough power like it should be, certain instructions arent carried out and thats when the headaches begin like random lockups and random system reboots.

now normally, I'd say that it could be something OS related but like you've stated, you've reformatted and its still acting up so I'm going to stick with what I said earlier.

maybe it is the power supply or maybe it isnt. either way, anyone who works on computers for a living knows what kind of gremlins can come from weak or dying power supplies so I'd try to borrow a different one and see what happens. if it fixes the problem, then I'll split my normal $55 consultation fee in half for ya. :D if it isnt the problem, then at least you can rule out that possibility and start looking at other things.

and by the way, your old video card wasnt drawing no where near the power that your GT is pulling so you cant rule my idea out just because you didnt have these problems before when you were running your other card.

ok thanks, i was not aware that powersupplies can cause goofy ass problems like that hehe. i may spend a few $$ and buy one with pretty lights and such, so then i'll have that goin for me even if it wasn't the problem.

this screenshot makes it look a lot worse than it actually was, while i was playing it was only slightly distorted from normal. exactly what the pic shows, but not so bad. this is from d2 just a few mins ago. can this still be psu problems? i'd hate to have to go through returning the card or something like that with this thing i just got yesterday :(

graphicsdead.jpg

well, i clocked my athlon back down to 2500 speeds and vietnam has not crashed after a solid 2 hours or so of playing, so that was the problem there, but i still have graphic problems.

i tried out the farcry demo, first and second ones, they look like this. have there been known problems with the demo's of far cry that were maybe patched for the full game?

isn't this water supposed to look like water, with the waves and stuff on top?
badwater.jpg

pretty obvious...rainbow sand
rainbow.jpg

the cliffside looks wrong, should be detailed i believe
junk.jpg

Those are artifacts...especially that second pic. You're not overclocking your card? If not...

Alot of these problems sound heat related to me, and not due to your card, probably your cpu. It could also be related closely to your powersupply. There are a multitude of possible problems, but those pics clearly show artifacts and that would lead me to believe you're overclocking your card or your card is bad.

Don't overclock anything, do a clean install of your graphics cards..and see what happens. If you're still getting these in game anomolies your card is bad. Install a different card..do you get the same things or similar? It might be your cpu/ect. overheating.

You'll have to do some trouble shooting like this.

Make sure you do a clean driver install for your vid card too....uninstall the nvidia drivers...boot to safe mode..use Driver Cleaner to eliminate any traces...install new drivers. I like 61.45's.

are those problems you talked about still what you think they are if that only happens in the far cry demo, and none of my other games? if it was a system wide problem wouldn't i get these same problems in all games? and i don't really care about far cry since i don't have it so what u think about that?

ive got an enermax 470 and my evga 6800gt cooled on water. and i still get these sort of random 2-4 second freezes and all sorts of goofy in game behavior. i seemed to get less of the problems with the 6171 drivers now im in 6172 and i think they have gotten just a little more pronounced.

like call of duty works flawlessly for as long as i can stand to play it. so does farcry but this game i like called swine and the war of the ring demo keeps crashing with a d3d8.dll error. anyhow im just sorta waiting for some new drivers would should be out very soon.

but with

9.0c,
beta of service pack2
leaked whql nforce chipset and vid card drivers (cuz nvidia refueses to releases any)

for me i figure its a toss up on what could be wrong and as with all new chipset and vid card itll take a awhile for driver stability

Back